Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

finding forgotten password

Options
  • 07-12-2012 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

I have forgotten password/secret question to a yahoo account and did not have alternate address. is the password buried somewhere in the pc and how do i find it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

For a Short Answer Question... No password would not be buried somewhere in the PC.

What you could do,

is take a shot off the Secret Questions,

I know when i forgot my Password for my Hotmail, I emailed Microsoft hotmail support,

had to give them a list of my contacts that would be on my contact list in my account, a list of Folders that may be created by myself. and any email address i sent an email to in the last couple of day's once they can verify you are the holder of the Account that's in question they will then Send you a link to change your password..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Might be in your browsers stored passwords somewhere. What browser do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭GullibleOne

Khannie wrote: »
    Might be in your browsers stored passwords somewhere. What browser do you use?
    firefox not there

Cork24 wrote: »
    For a Short Answer Question... No password would not be buried somewhere in the PC.

What you could do,

is take a shot off the Secret Questions,

I know when i forgot my Password for my Hotmail, I emailed Microsoft hotmail support,

had to give them a list of my contacts that would be on my contact list in my account, a list of Folders that may be created by myself. and any email address i sent an email to in the last couple of day's once they can verify you are the holder of the Account that's in question they will then Send you a link to change your password..
    Then how do forensics find info people delete. Is not veverything we do somewhere on the pc. It is yahoo and it is a while since i used it but need to get in to see a link to a pm. Cannot get to thebsite same reason

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Then how do forensics find info people delete. Is not veverything we do somewhere on the pc.

If you wan't to find it that way first you need to spend 4 to 7 years in university, then inverst a minimum of €1 million in a lab that has the tools to do that sort of thing. Other that that if its not saved in your saved passwords you won't find it.

Your best bet is to try to send an email to Yahoo.

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    If you wan't to find it that way first you need to spend 4 to 7 years in university, then inverst a minimum of €1 million in a lab that has the tools to do that sort of thing. Other that that if its not saved in your saved passwords you won't find it.

Your best bet is to try to send an email to Yahoo.
    how do they do it ? i am curious it must be on the disk f they can use tools and uni education to find it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

how do they do it ? i am curious it must be on the disk f they can use tools and uni education to find it

You can't delete anything on a Hard Drive, everything is still there it just gets overwritten the next time you need that space. If you have the right training and tools you can work out what information was there previously before it was overwritten.

Its kinda like writing a 1 and then doing a 0 heavier over it then maybe another 0 even heavier again and then an even heavier 1 and it just goes on forever. They have to work out which level belongs to which piece of information and see what they can learn from it.

Normally it has to be done in a completely airtight environment as impure air would cause information to be lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

In my experience you will never recover yahoo or msn account..if you cannot remember exact answers you gave setting up account then it's next to impossible to recover...despite my wholesale contacts and Microsoft reseller status and having advertised with Yahoo..they cannot be contacted..if anyone has a contact then i would love to know (-;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

We're talking about passwords that a bowers could have saved and once you clear cookies and history on that browser then oops their goes your saved passwords on that brower,,

As for digging in deep into ones computer to find old files they can use software that goes over every free space, as information is moved from one point to the next the file leaves behind a pointer so when the disk head hits the pointer, the pointer now points to the new location of that moved item,,

As for when I delete an item what is left behind is a header, inside that head would be the information of what was store in this memory index.. From that if that free space was not over written by something else then would could recover that delete item.

So in terms of people Reisntalling windows our placing your hd into the trash it's best to Zero the driver,

It cleans the whole HD and if I can correct in this Zero also burns the Null index of the HD making that index unreadable So every time you Zero your losing bytes on the HD

Advertisement