Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a company access your bank account without a direct debit or SO?

Options
  • 07-12-2012 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Yesterday evening, a company that my boyfriend owes money to took 200 euros from his account (money we cant afford to have taken at this time), and tried to take more this morning, he has never had a direct debit, standing order or any payment plan with them although he has paid them money over the phone with his laser card before. He rang the bank and he was basically told that if you owe a company money, they can take any money owed to them at any time.. How can that be right?

I've paid my parents mortgage payments with my laser card before, does that mean if they default in a payment that their bank can take the money from my account without my permission?

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If the company he owes money to is part of the overall bank group then it's likely that they can take the money. If there is no connection between the company claiming the money and the bank then there is no legal basis for the bank to hand over the money without a DD or SO.

Advertisement