Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 Weeks Today...

• 07-12-2012 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭

Been a smoker since I was 14. Smoked anywhere from 15-35 a day. I'm 37 now and today is my 14th day without a smoke.

I've tried lots of times before. Patches, gum, inhalers, books.... but nothing worked. I'd last a day or two, maybe three but the first real sign of a struggle and I'd be back on them. I've lasted over a week only twice before.

I don't know why but everything feels different this time. I don't think of it as being 'off the smokes' as I always did before. This time I've 'quit smoking'. Maybe it's my mental attitude this time that's different? I've gone cold turkey this time too. Not even regular chewing gum or lollipops as I always used before though I have been keeping a bag of Satsuma's in work for emergencies.

Some days are easier than others. Some days are really easy and some are really hard (about day 7 was the hardest but it's not a case of gradually getting easier or harder. It's mix and match!) My triggers are getting less noticeable. That moment I'm walking away from the kettle with a fresh coffee or when I sit in the car in morning/evening are probably the hardest. I think you kind of know within a few mins of waking in the morning if it's going to be a tough day or not or at least that's how it's been for me so far.

Speaking of waking... The biggest difference I have noticed so far has been my sleep (which I noticed on previous attempts too). I'm waking at 5-6am every morning. It's incredible how I've gone from someone who struggled for years to get out of bed each morning to someone who is up an hour every morning before the alarm. I presume this will return to normal eventually but I do also find myself having more energy during the day too.

Appetite has increased of course but I'm desperately trying not to eat extra. The difference to my sense of smell is amazing! I can smell a smoker at 50ft now. Cigarettes and perfume mixed has to be the most stomach churning smell in the world! YUK! YUK! YUK! Actually I think if us smokers could actually smell ourselves with a non-smokers nose we'd be far more likely to succeed at quitting. We really stink!

Anyway, just some thoughts on my two week milestone. I'm confident they are gone for good but not taking anything for granted. Hopefully I'll post again on the month marker. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Stuck Cone

Fair play!! Cannabis is hard to give up, well done!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Scotty #

7 weeks tomorrow!! :):)

It's not been easy but no slips.

In the 3rd week I got very sore gums (stinging) and was coughing up a lot of brown phlegm. According to my chemist both are very common a few weeks after quitting. She gave my Corsydil gel for the gums and they were back to normal in a day or two.

Found the first day back after the xmas break extremely difficult. I think it was because I work on my own and it was the first time on about two weeks I was actually alone, but I got through it. Apart from that I still get the odd mild craving, maybe only once or twice a day.

I'm convinced now that all the 'help giving up' products are a complete waste of time and your success or failure lies 100% in your head.

Advertisement