Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is Q?

Options
  • 07-12-2012 5:24pm

While browsing through the Announcements forum, to see what competitions I could enter (ppssst, I'd love an iPad), I stumbled upon Q's news.

Who is this mysterious Q?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally a bot account that cloud used for doing automated....eh..stuff, and posting such fleeting projects as "Tech news of the day" and so forth, Q has now been resurrected and is used by one of them there in the office, though as can be seen, only posts on very rare basis.

seamus wrote: »
    Originally a bot account that cloud used for doing automated....eh..stuff, and posting such fleeting projects as "Tech news of the day" and so forth, Q has now been resurrected and is used by one of them there in the office, though as can be seen, only posts on very rare basis.

And so should be feared for the day that they become sentient?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

And so should be feared for the day that they become sentient?
    Ironically, becoming more Borg like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

It was a Cloud.ie thing.

Script or summit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭BENDERS LINKS

DeVore wrote: »
    I am really confused. Are you guys joking?

Q was like The Stig for admins; an occasional "skin" we could wear for doing various mundane housekeeping. He came about because Cloud needed an account to post some RSS feeds from a variety of sources in one of his more Cloudesque capers and he didnt want to use his on account details (for security or something, cant recall), so he created another account with admin privileges and I guess he thought the name was funny. He's odd that way, our cloudie :p
    Personally I would have thought he would have gone for Zoltar knowing him, but Q was a good second choice.

Q was effectively a sock puppet for the admins and we made that pretty clear I thought!

DeV.
    dot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola

Seamus is (as always) right, the Q account has been around a good while-when we came up with the idea for a community news feature we decided it should come from Q to add a bit of intrigue to the whole thing.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Seamus is (as always) right, the Q account has been around a good while-when we came up with the idea for a community news feature we decided it should come from Q to add a bit of intrigue to the whole thing.

Should move onto R now ala James Bond, now that the mystery around Q had been lifted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

5starpool wrote: »

Should move onto R now ala James Bond, now that the mystery around Q had been lifted.
    Nah. Q is the admin bot on Quake net irc where this hulabaloo all started. Gotta stay true to your roots.

Advertisement