Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a companion for English Mastiff

• 07-12-2012 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi can anyone help me please.

I have a 4yr old English Mastiff, I also had another dog called Reuben pitbull mix but recently I had to get him re homed as he kept getting escaping no matter how high we made our wall.

I'm thinking of getting another dog to keep our Mastiff company while we are at work and I was thinking of either getting a French Bulldog or a Boston Terrier but I can't make up my mind.

The Frenchie would be the same as our Mastiff when it come to laziness but I wouldn't mind a dog slightly more active like the Boston Terrier. I have no idea what both dogs are like when it come to personality/ Temperament and if they would actually be suitable as a companion for a large breed. But I love how they are small but look strong enough to cope with a mastiff, I've no interest in a toy dog.

I need a dog that isn't too hyper that would be content staying in our garden with our Mastiff while we're out and good at being indoors. I dont want another large dog as one is enough.

If anyone has an ideas or can give me advice when when it comes to a Frenchie or Boston Terrier I would greatly appreciate it.

Im in no rush to get another dog but it wouldn't hurt to know what my options are if I decided to get one

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Both Frenchies and Bostons are super little dogs. Great, bubbly, friendly personalities.
    But I would be very concerned about leaving such a small dog alone with such a big dog. I'm not suggesting that your mastiff would deliberately harm the smallie, but it is a common enough occurrence that big dogs can hurt smallies by accidentally or clumsily standing on them, barging into them, and playing too rough with them. Not that big dog is playing rough at all, but big dog rough can be too much for small dogs.
    I have one big dog and two smallies, the size differential between them, and between an English Mastiff and Frenchie or Boston, is smaller. But every single day, the big dog sends the smaller dogs flying. She has no idea she's doing it, and hasn't a bad bone in her body, but I can tell you that my small dogs have to put up with a lot from her... I do not, and would not, leave them altogether when I'm out for this reason.
    I'd think a bigger, more robust dog would suit you better, I don't know if you'd consider this? If smaller flat-faced dogs float your boat, a Staffie maybe?
    It is also difficult to get an ethically bred Frenchie or Boston in Ireland. If you do go for an ethically bred one, you're getting into big money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

To be honest I would first be addressing the problem of your previous dog escaping. You say you had to rehome him because of it. Surely there was some way the garden could have been secured? Or could he not have been left inside instead?

I would be concerned that if you get another dog and you run into problems with it like the other, then would you rehome that dog too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

To be honest, im not sure if i would get either of those dogs to be honest. There is a huge difference in size and it wouldnt really be safe to leave such a small dog with something so big.
    Also, both of those breeds you mention are very very expensive. You are talking 1500-2000 for the Frenchie and around 1200 for a Boston. Neither of which are very common in this country and hence pups are very expensive.

I would def go for something similar in size, strength to a Mastiff, but def not a breed as small as you mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Janeboylan

Thank DBB,

I'm sure Tanner my Mastiff would but ok see he isnt that active and he's rather slow. I know he could be rough but the Frenchie and Boston look sturdy, and with Tanner he would play for a few mins but then give up and collaspes he is that lazy.

I kinda wanted to stay away from medium and large breeds as Tanner takes up so much room and I wouldn't mind a small dog that I could have up on my lap.

Also I want a dog thats easy to control on the lead and easy to walk with, if I have the 2 dogs out together.
    Plus I'm probably being silly but I found people react badly when they see you with a mastiff and a pitbull or Staffie. There are still people out there that think they are dangerous and nearly run a mile when they see you coming or give you a bad look, even tho they have the sweetest nature.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I love English Mastiffs, not many of them about though!
    I wouldn't describe the Boston as a sturdy dog tbh. The Frenchie is perhaps a little more sturdy, but less agile.
    Just to illustrate, my two smallies are real sturdies: a Westie and a Cocker x... nothing delicate about either of them. But the big dog, a GSD, is just too much for them, and like your Mastiff, she's not an in-your-face dog at all, she's very laid back. But simply walking from one room to another, or saying hello in the mornings, or at dinner time, it's skittle-time with the small dogs, even though the GSD isn't at all loopy in the process.
    I understand your concerns re the public perception of the RBs, but if you were going for a Frenchie or Boston, you'll probably need to be really careful about leaving them unsupervised with the Mastiff.
    You could, perhaps, set up the area where they'll be kept so that there is the equivalent of a "creep area" for the small dog. A creep area is a height-restricted barrier to let calves and lambs through to food troughs or bedding areas that the big adults can't get to, making the youngsters safe from being barged or stood on. A baby-gate set a bit off the ground to allow Frenchie/Boston through, but not the Mastiff?
    This option wouldn't be runner so much for a puppy, but something to train a puppy towards so she/he can escape if things are getting too much when she's a bit older?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

To be honest, unless you can guarantee that they wont be left together unsupervised ever, then i wouldnt get one so small around a dog so big.
    Mastiffs are 60+kg, thats a lot of dog, whether he is gentle or not, his size and strength alone can do damage without meaning to.

Advertisement