Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chit chat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    wouldn't having no extra malt and then adding less water just increase the effects of the hops on the beer?
    It would, so you risk it ending up as a harshly acidic mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

BeerNut wrote: »
    It would, so you risk it ending up as a harshly acidic mess.

I didn't think it would go that bad. I might just meet halfway and put in 500g of spraymalt (maybe a bit of dextrose, too), and put in some extra water to dilute it all. It'll give a lighter beer, but one of the kits is a Mexican Cerveza (other is a Blonde), so it'd be light enough anyway. Might turn out to be a decent summer beer.

Thanks for the advice, BeerNut.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    I didn't think it would go that bad.
    It might not, I'm just guessing. Your kit, your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

anybody here use the iBrew Tap-A-Draft minikegs.it claims no secondary fermentation is required because of the CO2 gas that goes in it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

anybody here use the iBrew Tap-A-Draft minikegs.it claims no secondary fermentation is required because of the CO2 gas that goes in it

That reminds me, I remember talk before about reusing Heineken mini-kegs for home brew. Would the blacks mini kegs be any good for that?

I'm unlikely to use mine but if anyone wants an empty one let me know and we can arrange something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

16002_61TBbz4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭dasdog

Friend of mine in Spain can't get liquid yeast so I thought of bringing some over. Taking a diversion to the continent for a week en route so using an ice pack is probably out of the question, two flights involved. Anyone done this or have recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

dasdog wrote: »
    Friend of mine in Spain can't get liquid yeast so I thought of bringing some over. Taking a diversion to the continent for a week en route so using an ice pack is probably out of the question, two flights involved. Anyone done this or have recommendations?

I would put it in the checked bag, security may have an issue with taking on a biologic sample with you on the plane.

Either that they can mail order the yeast browland and other will do it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭dasdog

Yeah I was thinking security may have a fit. I'm concerned about varying temperatures and what effect that might have. Might just try and keep it cool (mini bar fridges) and see if I can pick up something along the way also as a backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I am in India right now. There is no IPA here. No India pale ale in India, people! What is this world we live in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Khannie wrote: »
    I am in India right now. There is no IPA here. No India pale ale in India, people! What is this world we live in?

So it was all just a marketing myth :(

Khannie wrote: »

*Cough* IPA was only for the Gentry and Officer class................runs away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

oblivious wrote: »
    *Cough* IPA was only for the Gentry and Officer class................runs away :D

The gentry and officers drank claret!! No small beer for them!

ladhrann wrote: »
    The gentry and officers drank claret!! No small beer for them!

No doubt they drink wine, but British wine drinking did not come popular late into the 19th century. India pale ale, was no small beer and it was always for the gentleman class class, porter and cider was the drink of the common soldier and labour.

From Martyn Cornell zythophile blog

http://zythophile.wordpress.com/2011/08/04/four-ipa-myths-that-need-to-be-stamped-out-for-ipaday/

Myth 2: “IPAs started life as a British export to their troops stationed out in India back in the 1800s.”

"The pale ales exported by Hodgson, Bass, Allsopp and others were drunk by the middle and upper classes among the Europeans in India, the military officers and the “civil servants”, the civilians who worked for the East India Company, trading, administrating and collecting taxes."

anybody here ever use summit hops to dry hop.i was talking to a chap recently and he said it gives off a spring onion/garlic smell but i was under the impression it gave off notes of tangerine.the reason i ask is that i'm using summit as a bittering hop in my next brew and was considering dry hopping with it too

anybody here ever use summit hops to dry hop.i was talking to a chap recently and he said it gives off a spring onion/garlic smell but i was under the impression it gave off notes of tangerine.the reason i ask is that i'm using summit as a bittering hop in my next brew and was considering dry hopping with it too

I used them loads, keep them to late addations and dry hooping. Great tangerine aroma with a little somthing else

i'll be dry hopping my brew today but i only have pellets.should i just add these straight into my carboy or put them in a muslin bag.i hear pellets don't do so good in muslin bags

i'll be dry hopping my brew today but i only have pellets.should i just add these straight into my carboy or put them in a muslin bag.i hear pellets don't do so good in muslin bags

I loosely pack them in a muslin cloth, just give them a bit a room as they will expand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Hi lads

Not sure if this is against the rules. I will delete if it is. But I thought some of you might be interested in this.

A brewer in Wicklow is looking for part-time staff.
    The Wicklow Hops Company in Ballinree House, Prospect, Wicklow are looking for a Part-time Assistant / Office Manager (very flexible hours).

The spec:

WHClab is growing...
    We are looking for a part-time assistant/office manager. We are looking for a committed and enthusiastic individual that has an interest in working in a fun environment/start up. The hours would be flexible so can accommodate your schedule. The position can potentially grow into a full-time position.

What you should have:
    * A driver's license
    * Good computational skills
    * Good attention to detail
    * Previous office experience would be a great asset.
    * Interest in the brewing & distilling industry is a bonus but not essential

The role is broad, you will be asked to help in all areas of the business, like any growing start-up. Come meet us and see what you think of this new project!! Its very different.

To apply please visit https://wicklowjobs.ie/job/14062057/part-time-assistant-office-manager-very-flexible-hours

WHC isn't a brewer as such. They do all the interesting stuff like yeast farming and lab tests for brewers. I'd say it's a fun place to work for anyone into home brewing.

• Advertisement

Are there any b&m homebrew shops still going in Dublin? All set to bottle the latest brew this week and realised I was gonna be short of new caps. Ordered caps off amazon on Tues but just got notified of a cancellation. Need about 50 caps for Monday ASAP, brew has been going two weeks at this stage.

Tried 'the range' in Northside, but they only sell swingtops.

I don't think there are any shops any more. Another week or two won't do your beer any harm.

Cheers, that was my next question answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Cheers, that was my next question answered.

http://oldmcdonald.ie/ in Carlow do brewing supplies although last time I was in there they hadn’t a lot of stock left so maybe give them a call if you would travel that far.

On the other hand, Amazon is life. I get practically all of my supplies from Amazon, I have a PRIME account so stuff usually delivered within 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

So like an eejit I've only just realised that the reason Citra hops are sold out in all the major home brew suppliers isn't lazy re-stocking, but waiting for the next harvest to be available :D What time of year do the Irish stores tend to get their new hops in? I've become totally addicted to dry hopping with citra this year, wondering how long a wait it'll be before they'll be back on the shelves :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

So like an eejit I've only just realised that the reason Citra hops are sold out in all the major home brew suppliers isn't lazy re-stocking, but waiting for the next harvest to be available :D What time of year do the Irish stores tend to get their new hops in? I've become totally addicted to dry hopping with citra this year, wondering how long a wait it'll be before they'll be back on the shelves :D:D:D

I don’t know how they restock, but I would not be dependent on a single store for a source of a popular hop like Citra or mosaic.

Crossmyloof is an English trader that sells home brew quantities of lots of hops. They are actually a contract brewer who sell off surplus inventory.

Prices are good but availability is more important.

Another option is group buys or hop sell offs on English forums. I have a friend who maintains hop contracts with Charles Faram, so he is always packaging these up into 500g vac packs and selling them on at cost

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

1kg of sugar showing as 50cent in dealz
    https://www.dealz.ie/129259-whitworths-sugar-1kg/

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

How high can you pitch a lager yeast?

Was reading a mix of how to's online when I was setting up, and the wort is currently at 32C. The yeast is rehydrated with about an hour on its own in a mug. The water was probably 20-30 degrees.

What should I do? Got the info a bit late that lagers should be brewed much cooler, so not sure if I should just chance it and throw in the yeast. Its at about 23L and I've 2L of water in the freezer which might do some good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Do not pitch at 32c, you'll kill the yeast.

You need to ferment at 7-10c. If you can't, throw out the wort and brew something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Thats exactly what I didn't want to hear! How about leaving the wort over night and chilling the yeast in the fridge?

Advertisement