Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Value Broadband up to 8mb but capped at 3mb

• 07-12-2012 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody can clarify before I hit the roof with them.

I am on Vodafone Value package which is up to 8mb. However they say my exchange is non-enhanced meaning that I am capped at 3mb.

However if I change to their Ideal broadband package I will get speeds of 10mb on my line.

Does this sound right?

Thanks in advance!
    Keith.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Put your phone number into www.homevision.ie checker and see what type of line you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Put your phone number into www.homevision.ie checker and see what type of line you have.

Doesn't exactly tell me what line I have but says speed of 8.5mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

So are you in an 8mb or 3mb package then?

Example;

Eircom do speeds of 1,3 and 7 for non ngb areas.

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/?view=Eircomnet&lineSpeed=6144&ngb=false

Maybe Vodafone only offer the 8mb for the value package in ngb areas.
    Eircoms basic speed is 1mb, but its 8mb in ngb areas.

It sounds right to me.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    So are you in an 8mb or 3mb package then?

Example;

Eircom do speeds of 1,3 and 7 for non ngb areas.

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/?view=Eircomnet&lineSpeed=6144&ngb=false

Maybe Vodafone only offer the 8mb for the value package in ngb areas.
    Eircoms basic speed is 1mb, but its 8mb in ngb areas.

It sounds right to me.

Thanks for that Colm - looks like they may be bound by Eircoms T & Cs.
    And I believe they sell at a loss, but still they could just come out and say it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

It is capped on a non NGB line to 3mb on the lower pacakges. I was 'downgraded' in Feb to the Value package by Vodafone (they told me speed would remain the same. I repeatedly asked a number of reps and they all said it would not drop) but unsurprisingly I dropped from 6mb to 3mb as I was not on a NGB line.... Luckily I got them to change it back again without too much hassle. The sales reps at the time didn't seem to realise that most of the country is still on non NGB lines.... Slight Vodafone training issue there....

• Advertisement

Looks like I would have to pay €59 a month for Ultimate broadband for speeds up to 8mb - which they tell me I can get.

If I look at the Ultimate Broadband the page says:
    If your line doesn’t yet support Enhanced Broadband, the maximum broadband speed you’ll get will be 3Mb. We currently expanding our Enhanced Broadband service across the country, and once it’s available on your line we’ll automatically upgrade you for free.

More confusion - they say that I can get speeds of 10mb.

Hurry up Sky ... hopefully offering max speed on the line and unlimited downloads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

My line is restricted by an Eircom profile to 6144k, although my DSL modem reports that I could get a line speed of over 9mb based on the attenuation seen. There used to be a means of getting those values out of the online Eircom phone line checker but that has been removed. Probably due to acute embarrassment on Eircom's behalf....

My understanding is that these Eircom profiles are deliberately lowered to ensure no packet loss and in many cases could be tweaked to a higher value.

Advertisement