Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junkies around Dublin city(what to do)

Options
  • 07-12-2012 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi,

I was just wondering if people are starting to feel a lot less safe in Dublin. Especially considering the unfortunate person knocked down by the bus on Dawson street yesterday. I have noticed a huge increase in both junkies and homeless wandering the street's and hassling the general public. I personally believe the Garda and goverment should focus a lot more resources on changing the image of our capital city.

Our reputation is going the same way as the economy and before we know it Dublin will probably resemble Gotham city. Dublin is now more dangerous then New York and London according to the metro hearld. That if true should shame us all. All I hear is sirens 24 hours a day and I dont live that close to a hospital.

I am sure there is a lot of threads like this but i wanted to have my say. Its a concern when you dont feel safe in your own backyard and something needs to be done.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Shoot 'em all and let God sort 'em out... -Marge Simpson

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Legalise cannabis.

Boards has led me to believe that this will solve all life's problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Never had an issue with junkies,scumbags on the other hand ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Junkies, as far as I am aware, ride the 79 bus up and down the quays all day long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

mickoc wrote: »
    Hi,

I was just wondering if people are starting to feel a lot less safe in Dublin. Especially considering the unfortunate person knocked down by the bus on Dawson street yesterday. I have noticed a huge increase in both junkies and homeless wandering the street's and hassling the general public. I personally believe the Garda and goverment should focus a lot more resources on changing the image of our capital city.

I agree, but as usual, they can't be trusted and the Gardai's hands are somewhat tied.

I'm not saying vigilantism is the way to go, but if nothing's done and it gets worse, will they act then? History has taught us no, they won't.

The legal system needs an overhaul and we need to come down very heavy on serious law breakers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

mickoc wrote: »
    Hi,

Our reputation is going the same way as the economy and before we know it Dublin will probably resemble Gotham city. Dublin is now more dangerous then New York and London according to the metro hearld. That if true should shame us all. All I hear is sirens 24 hours a day and I dont live that close to a hospital.

I am sure there is a lot of threads like this but i wanted to have my say. Its a concern when you dont feel safe in your own backyard and something needs to be done.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Junkies are mostly harmless. Not saying the Gardaí shouldn't do more but your post is totally sensationalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭HarrisonLennon

Having lived in London for years and just came home a few months ago. I can tell you Walking around Dublin city is a joy compared to London. London is a bubbling pot of tension. Race/crime/drugs/theft.

If you think Dublins rough I think you should hide in the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

The legal system needs an overhaul. It needs to work for the protection of innocent, rather than punishing criminals with arbitrary sentences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Having lived in London for years and just came home a few months ago. I can tell you Walking around Dublin city is a joy compared to London. London is a bubbling pot of tension. Race/crime/drugs/theft.

Dublin has all the above too.

If you strictly compare the city centre of each city, I would say London is a lot cleaner. Junkies have the run of the city centre and can be found outside all major transport hubs and tourist attractions in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Found the complete opposite tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Dublin is now more dangerous then New York and London? Linky? Sounds like sensationalism.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

get them clean and give them jobs .
    Its gonna get alot worse now that everyone is out of work . Couldnt move with all the junkies in the 80s .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Dont care about London.Dublin cc is a **** hole and it is getting worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Sure even if a junkie came up to mug you it'd take him 10 mins to finish his sentence. Annoying but mostly harmless really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

This year I was in London, Chicago and NYC.

Dublin is perfectly normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

I Am Kong! wrote: »

I agree, but as usual, they can't be trusted and the Gardai's hands are somewhat tied.

I'm not saying vigilantism is the way to go, but if nothing's done and it gets worse, will they act then? History has taught us no, they won't.

The legal system needs an overhaul and we need to come down very heavy on serious law breakers.

Err..who the f@&k are you to be highlighting spelling errors

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gabriele

I have my own system, which works all the time:

Everytime someone approach me for money/cgarettes/everything I just reply in italian: "scusa non parlo inglese" (translated: sorry i don't speak english)... trust me it works all the time !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Close even more Gardai stations?

Oh wait...they do that already, do they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Junkie tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

What annoys me is yesterday there were some international visitors to the city and the place was crawling with garda. They were walking around in gangs of sixes ffs. Hundreds of them, probably all on overtime yet any other day would be lucky to see one. This is why the place is gone to ****. They need a visual presence on the streets as it will deter these minor incidents which go unpunished which in turn lead to more serious crime. And I'm not talking about two gob****es on segways. A serious presence. Absolutely sickened me to see so many garda around yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There is a small area in Dublin city centre that needs to be nuked from orbit. It's bounded by O'Connell Street in the west, the river in the south, Amiens St in the east and Sean McDemott St in the north.

About 90% of Dublin's junkies and scum spend their days in this area. Nuking it would also have the benefit of taking a lot of the unions with them.

Seriously though, this is where all the trouble is, really. The social deprivation and decay in this area is unbelievable compared to the rest of the city. I'm not sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Pit them against each other in a No Holds Barred Battle Royale fight to the death. The winner gets to be Mayor of Dublin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement