Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TP-Link 200mb wifi homeplugs

Options
  • 07-12-2012 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

Hey y'all,

I picked up a pair of these to extend the poor wifi from the cisco epc3925.

I think the two units are paired.

I have one cat5'd to my router and plugged in;

the other is in a socket in the bedroom.

I connected to the main unit and set the ssid and pw to the same as my existing wifi, and changed the channel it was on too.

I have great wifi near the main unit, but the one in the bedroom doesnt seem to be giving me wifi at all.

what do folks? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Is the bedroom loop on a different circuit breaker than the others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Is the bedroom loop on a different circuit breaker than the others
    that dear Pog, is a very good question. I have no idea; just renting the place.

hmm, I'll try a different room and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭donalfo

the cirtcuit breaker shouldn't make a difference. Could be a problem if you have three phase power in your house, which 99% of houses in Ireland do not.
    I have the main one plugged into the modem at the far end of the house, different circuit, works great.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭donalfo

Sorry, I didn't read your post right. I didn't cop that it was a wifi extender. I have to connect a cat5 from the socket to my laptop.

That made me re-read the OP too. Is the problem the link over electrical circuitry or wireless? You can test wireless signal with an app on your phone
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5mYXJwcm9jLndpZmkuYW5hbHl6ZXIiXQ..

What channels have you them on?

BTW donalfo, this is not a range extender (sometimes called repeaters), range extenders typically connect by wireless to your existing network. This is homeplugs with an inbuilt access point. They work much better than range extenders as they don't use wireless to communicate with the existing network.

• Advertisement

cisco wifi is on channel 13 - x.x.x.100

tp-link is on channel 3; with a different network range x.x.x.10

same ssid, same pw.

if i use wifi analyser on the phone, i can see the same ssid on 2 channels.

I have the second one plugged in downstairs now; I'll have to check wifi later

i'm not sure where the issue is tbh; the wifi defo doesnt seem to be working on the second unit.

if i plug a cat5 into the second unit, i dont get internet so it would seem that upstairs, it isnt pairing properly. and i cant seem to connect to the second unit to set any parameters either. the instructions are sorta poor for troubleshooting!

derp.

Looks like only one of the plugs does wifi and thats the one I need in the other room.

Will test more and report back for sure.

head-in-hands-fail if thats what it is.

kaimera wrote: »
    derp.

Looks like only one of the plugs does wifi and thats the one I need in the other room.

Will test more and report back for sure.

head-in-hands-fail if thats what it is.

Yes, you use one connected to your router by ethernet to send signal through your electrical circuitry to the second which has an inbuilt wireless access point

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

kaimera wrote: »
    Hey y'all,

I picked up a pair of these to extend the poor wifi from the cisco epc3925.

I think the two units are paired.

I have one cat5'd to my router and plugged in;

the other is in a socket in the bedroom.

I connected to the main unit and set the ssid and pw to the same as my existing wifi, and changed the channel it was on too.

I have great wifi near the main unit, but the one in the bedroom doesnt seem to be giving me wifi at all.

what do folks? :confused:
    there is an option on the router to add the MAC address of the wifi extender to it, this could be your problem if you havent done it

Advertisement