Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice regarding online fraud

Options
  • 07-12-2012 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi,

I know there are a lot of knowledgable people here and I really really really need some help right now.

Our bank account was a victim of online fraud, using our debit card no. cvv code and a verified by visa password. We noticed that we had a large sum of money pending on open 24 and contacted them. They checked on it and said that there were 4 rather large transactions for a foreign exchange site pending on the account. These 4 transactions happened within an hour and caused our account to go into an unauthorised overdraft (which I believed sine July could not be done, but they are claiming that with laser cards this s not the case, even tho it is a visa debit card.) They also have said since out verified by visa password was used they are refusing to refund. We pointed out that even tho the activity was very suspiscous it went through unflagged and we had no contact from the bank and it also caused our account to go into an unauthorised overdraft, which I thought was not possible. They are not budging because of the password use.

We are appealling the decision, but I would love to know if we do have any rights and any chance of getting the money refunded, or if we will have to get a term loan to pay it back, as the bank has kindly suggested, (not only will my credt rating get ruined by the unautho overdraft we can't pay back, but we actually get to pay interest on the privaledge as well as all the charges and referral fees)

Any advice would be greatly received because right now I am at a loss at what to do and the bank are being so helpful, I should apparantly be grateful as they are sticking to procedure and dealing with my case quickly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sammles

just bumping this in case anyone can help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Ok well you can go overdrawn even without an overdraft limit on the account, its basically an unauthorised overdraft. If the password was used this is a concern as the bank would be entitled to say the use of the card with the CVV number and the password is ok and they will not refund it.

that was what I was afrais of, thanks tho

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

sammles wrote: »
    just bumping this in case anyone can help

With your password and cvv2 codecompromised, I assume/hope the card is now cancelled, any passwords changed.

of course first thing we did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

sammles wrote: »
    of course first thing we did.

Have you figured out how your details were compromised ?

Either a virus on your PC, or some one you trusted with the details ?

Have you figured out how your details were compromised ?

Either a virus on your PC, or some one you trusted with the details ?
    Think it is a virus, as no one else has details and the laptop now needs a factory restore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Very surprised anyone got the verified by visa password. If I'm thinking of the right one, that's where they ask for certain digits from the password, not the whole password.

Did you ever respond to any email giving details of your password?

Very surprised anyone got the verified by visa password. If I'm thinking of the right one, that's where they ask for certain digits from the password, not the whole password.

Did you ever respond to any email giving details of your password?
    The verified by visa password is not the one you are thinking of, it is the one used when purchasing online, it brings to a 2nd window and you type in this pass, a word and digits selected by you. Definitely did not respond to any emails. Just really annoyed at this point that they weren't flagged as suspicious and the bank is not trying to help us.

Advertisement