Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading 'dry patches'

Options
  • 07-12-2012 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, just interested to hear other people's experiences of dry patches in reading. Up until about a month ago this was easily my most prolific year reading, I was reading day and night (when not working) I suppose avoiding life in general.

Usually it takes the full mental absorption of a book to keep me from getting distracted (I find it hard to watch films or tv a lot of the time) but lately I can't bring myself to even pick up a book. I think with book-reading especially, I have to be in a somewhat creative mood to read and I have just been feeling flat in general the past while.

I've found I go in patches of reading excessively to not at all, usually in blocks of months.

What are your reading patterns like? How long was the longest you completely stopped reading books?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Infinitejester

I'm going through one of these at the moment. I am midway through quite a short book but I just can't seem to spur myself on. I think for me it's lack of energy so when I have a lot of other things on I can't muster the energy to read in the evenings. Then at other times I'll go crazy and read 10 books in a month or something.

When I was in college I pretty much stopped reading entirely because I was so busy going out and doing other things.

I don't think there's any point in forcing myself to read, it's supposed to be enjoyable after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I'm the sameish. It's down to external factors for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

I havn't read a book in over a year, I'm hoping a kindle for christmas will solve this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I can't say I've ever known a time when I'm not reading something. I do however reach a point every few months where I'm just getting bored with the types of books I'm reading. The way out of this for me is to go to my local library and pick up something completely unrelated to anything I've ever read before and give it a go.
    This will either send me off into a new direction of enjoyment for the next few months or send me back to looking at the types of books I enjoy with a new enthusiasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Going through a dry patch myself too of about 4 months at least.

Was down to a lifestyle change personally.. started driving to work instead of public transport. Used to start the book on the bus and then I'd be dying to read it by the time I got home..

On the flip side I've listened to about 4 audiobooks whilst driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I too am reading less than I would like. My commute isn't really long enough for me to get stuck into a book, and people are always in and out of the lunch room.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Same with me, I have had struggle with literature both on a personal and professional level this year. Its the one good thing about being a psychoanalyst I can't read classics for both my own pleasure and professional development.

However, I have to try re-connect with literature, it's like there is a block there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

@Odysseus: Endure, my heart; yea, a baser thing thou once didst bear, on that day when the Cyclops, unrestrained in fury, devoured the mighty men of my company; but still thou didst endure till thy craft found a way for thee forth from out the cave, where thou thoughtest to die. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

I had dry patch early in the year, in second of half of this year, I got back to reading again,

The first Book that I -Re-read was The Others by James Herbert
    Great book,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I've put a bit of wetness (metephorically) on the dry patch with A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. It's something a bit different anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

I've put a bit of wetness (metephorically) on the dry patch with A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. It's something a bit different anyway.

Is that any good? I was thinking of getting it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

judgefudge wrote: »
    Is that any good? I was thinking of getting it soon.

I'm a bit mixed about it. The relationship between the guy and his little brother at the start (and throughout) is just class. It's quite manic and because it reads a bit like a stream of consciousness there is a bit of repetition of the same sentiments.

Haven't finished it but it suffers a small bit in the second half. The operative word from the title is 'staggering', rather than heartbreaking or genius overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

When I finished writing my thesis in 2010 I don't think I read a book from start to finish for almost a year! I've been reading quite a bit more lately but I'm writing another thesis for a masters so I expect to be mentally wiped out again in a few months, hopefully not for another year this time though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

I do a lot of reading in college so I feel guilty reading for pleasure when I should be working!

Advertisement