Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Week, will it, wont it Snow thread 10th-15th

Options
  • 07-12-2012 5:57pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Rite, all the will it ? wont it Snow ? chat can go in here ,

Model /Technical thread is for model technical discussion only !

There is also a winter Ramping thread where you can ramp away to your hearts content

It's absolutely game over for this round guys. Clutching at straws would be quite daft at this stage. You can clearly see the progressive downgrading since the 06Z yesterday. Best thing to do is draw a line under this one and look ahead to the next potential cold spell.

It's only the first week of winter. :)

I am with you here , we always talk about trends and the trend right now is for the Atlantic to win out, models will chop and change but I feel we have gone past the brink on this episode.

Have to say , I enjoyed the first real hunt for elusive white stuff this winter ,

Last few days I have not been off the laptop , and If I may add thanks to everyone who contributed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

tumblr_lnvu0q7LSO1qdda8io1_1280.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Too early to call it yet that it will not happen, IMHO, this in equal measure to saying that it will happen!

To keep my sanity, my new policy this year is only to look 72hrs to 96hrs into the models. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Indeed Docarch, it could flip the other direction just as quick on another run.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

So what does this mean for a complete idiot like myself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

I wonder what M.T will say in his latest forecast. Hopefully he gives us an update this evening. It's Ironic two days ago we were speculating/worried about how long the snow would stay for and now in reality we more than likely won't even see it. Cruel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Well lads I still think we will see snow next week on the east coast of ire models or no models stay positive if it doesn't snow sure wat the hell. if it does we will all be happy :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Super-Rush wrote: »
    So what does this mean for a complete idiot like myself?

Just carry on as normal...and don't worry your head. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Just carry on as normal...and don't worry your head. :pac:

Is it going to stay raining on and off and freezing on top of it?

Feckin roads are lethal here for well over a week now.

I just hope Evelyn is on duty in RTE for the weekend. If there is snow to found....she will find it.

1m Netweather.tv ‏@Netweather
    The 'Beast from the East' seems to have become more of an angry kitten on todays data, but still cold, so don't pack the woollies away yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Rite, all the will it ? wont it Snow ? chat can go in here ,

Model /Technical thread is for model technical discussion only !

There is also a winter Ramping thread where you can ramp away to your hearts content :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

A bit of a split on the ensembles

231762.png

A bit of a split on the ensembles

What exactly does this mean? Has this cast doubt in to the milder temps..have the chances of snow marginally increased?

Means that the outcome is not set in stone , its in favor of mild mild but just goes to show the uncertainty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

If the ecwmf still holds the same in the next run ,i have a gut feeling North and East of Ireland could be a battle ground between cold and mild air this could give us a day or two of the white stuff ,after that wait and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

Its fact that we will have snow next week, it has been proven by me today.
    My willie shriveled up and disappeared up into my stomach when I woke up today and I usually wake up in a tent. On that scientific basis I declare we are heading into an ice age...

ECM @ 144 has the colder air hanging on in the UK , coldish air trying to hang on in Ireland , nothing special 850-'s -2/-3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Means that the outcome is not set in stone , its in favor of mild mild but just goes to show the uncertainty

Absolutely Pete, it may only snow in Galway and Mayo is one scenario, ye can come down here with yeer shovels and do what ye like to it. :D

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Absolutely Pete, it may only snow in Galway and Mayo is one scenario, ye can come down here with yeer shovels and do what ye like to it. :D

The ECM has the Northern county's holding onto some of that colder air too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

tv3 and rte weather both saying it will snow next week on the north and east coast at lower levels....so why is everyone saying it prob wont ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Can't see much if anything next week at this stage, Have a feeling we will have a few duds like this before we get the real thing. Most likely after the traditional christmas mild interlude.

Snowy new years anyone?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

UKMO FAX 3 Runs in sequence. 0z 6z and 12z. Note the progressive encroachment from the west.

0z

fax84s.gif

6z

fax96s.gif?06-12

12z

fax72s.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

tv3 and rte weather both saying it will snow next week on the north and east coast at lower levels....so why is everyone saying it prob wont ?

because the tv stations are usually referencing information that is 24 hours old.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Snow is frustrating to forecast but the mid December forecast may happen.

Surely though it will rain initially with all the mildness that needs to be got rid of and the relatively mild sea air on the Irish Sea.

What I think might happen is that it will rain on Wednesday and people will say "this is very disappointing" but then Wednesday noght or Thursday it will snow in some of Leinster and Ulster and maybe Connaught and then everyone will get excited and then it will rain again on Friday and be freezing.

RTE weather has a max of 1c for Wednesday. Nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    UKMO FAX 3 Runs in sequence. 0z 6z and 12z. Note the progressive encroachment from the west.

0z

fax84s.gif

6z

fax96s.gif?06-12

12z

fax72s.gif
    That's not the way I'm reading them
    Looking at those,I see a parent low being blocked from heading east,so it heads south east instead.
    The fronts have to follow the parent low so if anything whilst they do meridianly encroach,they're still sliding southeast and do you know,that means cold air trumps

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

Am I the only one in favour of one big ass Winter thread instead of having about 40? I like to do all my creeping in one thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't see myself bar the odd coastal flurry along the north/east coasts, anyone not in Antrim, Down, Louth, Meath, Dublin, Wikla can probably sleep soundly.

edit - just looked at the latest charts and its turned more to the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Sunday world reporting snow and -15 temps,but its the sunday world lol..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

met error says
    On Wednesday evening and early night it looks like the wet weather will spread countrywide with clearer weather following from the South.

Thursday looks breezy and dry in many areas with brighter spells though there is the risk of some occasional rain, especially in the West. Highest temperatures expected are 7 to 10 degrees in fresh Southerly winds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement