Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought something, money not taken from card

Options
  • 07-12-2012 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

I booked a hotel stay a couple of weeks ago. There was a discount for booking two weeks in advance.But it was meant to be payed in full at the time of the booking. It included bed and breakfast. I went and booked it cause I knew I wouldnt need to change the dates.

But the money wasnt taken at the time of booking. They did take a desposit of €11. I can see my transactions online as I have a prepaid mastercard. I had €120 on the card for the hotel stay. They took a desposit of €11 without even emailing me telling me they did. They did confirm the booking by email.

So I thought I would have to pay the balance once at the hotel.

The day before checking in, I was €11 up on the prepaid card account. So I thought that they gave me the deposit back and I pay €120 at the hotel. On check in, it was all fine. I checked out and was told it was all fine.

But I still have the money in my account. So I left thinking, that it might tke a few days. Is this normal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Not normal, but not unheard of. It'll turn up soon enough no doubt :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Ok, a month later and they still never took the payment. Is there a time limit they can take payment? Like up to a few months? The last thing I want is to spend what i've got and then be chased for payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yes, they have up to 6 months normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Don't spend it if you know you owe it, it could take you into an un-authorised overdraft. Contact the business involved and ask them why it hasn't been taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Hotels are sometimes known for not batching off their card machines which can cause a delay in taking your money. It should come out at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

As far as I know there's no such thing as an unauthorised overdraft on a prepaid card. If the funds aren't available the payment will be declined. If your online account is showing the €120 as available you are free to spend it, should you so wish.

Sounds like some sort of mistake by the hotel & the payment was overlooked, or maybe another guest's card was charged in error, which will probably come to light at some stage. They have your contact details on file, so if you were to spend the €120 they would contact you in the future to ask for another form of payment.

It's up to you how you want to handle things - the honest thing for you to do would be to contact the hotel & enquire as to what's going on, but quite a lot of people wouldn't even have noticed especially around Christmas. Either way they will contact you if they have a problem.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Ok, a month later and they still never took the payment. Is there a time limit they can take payment? Like up to a few months? The last thing I want is to spend what i've got and then be chased for payment.

They have up to six months to make the charge, but be aware that even if they don't, this does not absolve you from the debt!

Strictly speaking the statute of limitations would apply, but whether they would bother or not is another thing - I expect not, but in hard times you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

i bought a prescription in a limerick pharmacy on my mastercard last june. When i got my august statement the payment was taken but dated for june. They'll get you yet methinks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

Be in no doubt whatsoever that they will take their money. With a laser card for example the first part of the transaction really notifies the bank of a pending payment. Then the company in question sends over the required paper work to request payment.
    I ordered hearing oil before Christmas, the money physically left my account, was returned the same day then wasn't taken for over a week later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

You WILL have to pay for hotel. Why don't you simply ring them and end all the uncertainty??

• Advertisement
Advertisement