Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best Senior Mobile for a man whos 10 year old Nokia 3310 has finally died ?

Options
  • 07-12-2012 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Hi,

The short version of the story is, whats the best Senior Phone on the market that is Pay As You Go and either on Vodafone or SIM free ?.

The long, funny version is as follows,

Myself, my brother and my sister all bought Nokia 3310's back in 2002, they were great phones at the time :) but we eventually moved onto phones with newer and cooler features like ... colour screens ... and eventually ... cameras! :p. We had been nagging my dad for years to get a mobile phone but he was/is a complete technophobe, and held out until it got to the stage were like most people, he had to get one for day to day stuff like everyone else.

Rather then buying him a new phone, I decided to upgrade to a 3510 and give him my old 3310. It took him years of frustration to finally learn to make calls and send texts, but he eventually got there, although even to this day he has trouble doing other things (like adding contacts so we still occasionally have to help him). After a couple of years the 3310 I gave him packed in, I had upgraded my phone again and gave him my 3510 thinking he would be able to use it because they were similar. Unfortunately, even the small changes in the layout drove him up completely mad, so much so that my mother asked my brother and sister for their old 3310's saying "would you ever give your father yer old phones ?, its the only one he knows how to use, he's about to fire that one your brother gave him at the wall" :pac: .

3 Nokia 3310's and 10 years later, my 74 year old fathers last Nokia 3310 is on life support. The phone can only send texts, it loses its charge after 30 seconds of talking, randomly turns itself off and is held together with tape. We have tried replacing the battery with a used but working official battery we bought off Ebay and a new unofficial battery as well, but it doesn't seem to work, so the fault seems to be with the phone.

I appreciate your advise :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Nokia 100 would be my advise. Its strong, cheap and easy to use. Its rubber not plastic so it would slip from the hand to quick and the buttons would be larger than most phones excluding the ones specially designed for older, hard hearing etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

You might be able to get a Nokia 3310 on Adverts.ie for €10: http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/mobile-phones-accessories/185/q_nokia+3310/

Other than that I'd say the Nokia 100
    Argos unlocked for €25: http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5188130/c_1/1|category_root|Office%2C+PCs+and+phones|14418968/c_2/3|19805493|Mobile+phones|14419095/c_3/4|cat_14419095|Sim+free+mobile+phones|14419108.htm
    Postfone locked for €30 comes with €20 credit: http://webshop.postfone.ie/p-6-nokia-100-black.aspx
    or buy it on Vodafone with their call credit.

I have an old Nokia 3310 (decent condition) myself. If you want I'll send it to you for postage. I can throw in a Lycamobile or Tesco Mobile SIM card if you want. PM me if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Thanks for the info lads, just saw that the Nokia 101 is basically the same but for €5 more its dual sim, Ive been trying to get him to switch to Meteor for ages but he wont so that could save me money :).

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

wait a minute, a 3310 broke??????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

6310i

Superb phones

Very easy to get a car kit for one

You'll get a refurbished model off ebay

10020832.cfea91cd6526a1abc7d60bae10a4fcdb.jpg

wait a minute, a 3310 broke??????

Not 1, but 3 in the space of 10 years. 1st one died of natural causes, 2nd one fell out of his pocket and was accidentally run over by his car destroying everything but the battery and the sim, and the 3rd one is on its last legs.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    6310i

Superb phones

Very easy to get a car kit for one

You'll get a refurbished model off ebay

10020832.cfea91cd6526a1abc7d60bae10a4fcdb.jpg

I appreciate it but like I said above, it took him so long to figure out how to use the 3310 that when I gave him my old 3510 he couldn't adjust and nearly threw one at the wall in frustration, Im assuming by the layout the 6310i is different to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

What about a doro phone? They have big buttons and seem really easy to use.

KKkitty wrote: »
    What about a doro phone? They have big buttons and seem really easy to use.

Saw a few of those on Amazon alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

J0hnick wrote: »

Saw a few of those on Amazon alright
    They're sort of geared for older people so I think it'd be perfect. Afaik postfone do them so your dad could pop into his local post office and see if they have one.

Advertisement