Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare Hall, Malahide Road

Options
  • 07-12-2012 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi Guys,

I am considering the idea of purchasing an apartment in Burnell Square, Clare Hall. Does anyone have an opinion on the area? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I used to live there, in Burnell Sq.

Is the apartment facing out onto the N32? It's incredibly noisy.

You've good ameneties around the place, imo.

That huge Tesco across the road, there's a decent sized Spar below you, a bank, a good off licence, and I believe the Chinese place is decent enough. The Hotel is also there. Beware of that though, you can sometimes hear parties at the weekends from the hotel function room.

You only get 1 car space per apartment.

The bus stop over at Tesco is also well served, to get to town. And also for getting to places like Malahide and Swords in the opposite direction.

Campions pub is within walking distance, and is a good, old style pub. Good for a quiet drink if you are into that.

I moved out to move in with my then girlfriend, now wife, in her place.

I would have stayed if circumstances were different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pfol

I used to live there, in Burnell Sq.

Is the apartment facing out onto the N32? It's incredibly noisy.

You've good ameneties around the place, imo.

That huge Tesco across the road, there's a decent sized Spar below you, a bank, a good off licence, and I believe the Chinese place is decent enough. The Hotel is also there. Beware of that though, you can sometimes hear parties at the weekends from the hotel function room.

You only get 1 car space per apartment.

The bus stop over at Tesco is also well served, to get to town. And also for getting to places like Malahide and Swords in the opposite direction.

Campions pub is within walking distance, and is a good, old style pub. Good for a quiet drink if you are into that.

I moved out to move in with my then girlfriend, now wife, in her place.

I would have stayed if circumstances were different.

Thank you for the very comprehensive reply. I belive the apartment is facing the courtyard. How expensive the fees are? Any comments on bad behaviour around the area? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

Missus used to live in a ground floor apartment in Burnell Sq. When she moved in 2 years ago it was full of nice people but she recently moved out and its gone down hill like all the apartments around that area. I can only speak for the her ground floor apartment but it was terrible to maintain.
    No insulation to speak of.
    Dampness was a major problem.
    Very hard to heat ( storage heaters ) mainly because its a ground floor apartment.

I can echo TheNinthGate's post though. The area is surrounded by everything you could ever need and its right beside the m50
    Need any more specific information feel free to PM me or reply here and ill get back to ya no probs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

pfol wrote: »
    Thank you for the very comprehensive reply. I belive the apartment is facing the courtyard. How expensive the fees are? Any comments on bad behaviour around the area? Thanks.

If you are facing the courtyard, it will make a difference. If I was moving back there, that's what I'd look for.

Don't know about fees, as I was renting sorry.

Hmmm. Bad behaviour. The bloke I was living with is still there, and his car was broken into in the last three months. However, the security are very vigilant, and detained the robber until the police came. Once a story like that gets around the lads who'd be up to that, it would act as a deterrent.

There's also this, but that was years ago, and could happen literally anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I used to deliver here on a daily basis. As apartments around that area go, its seems nice and quiet (bar traffic noise) and very little anti social behaviour. All the residents I would have dealt with were lovely and friendly. Plenty of local amenities. Maybe try renting for a while to see if you like it? before taking the plunge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

pfol wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I am considering the idea of purchasing an apartment in Burnell Square, Clare Hall. Does anyone have an opinion on the area? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

OP, I meet a friend once a week or so for lunch in the restaurant of the nearby Hilton Hotel. It's true that there are more shops on your doorstep than most apartment communities would have, (the Meadows and Byrne store being especially fab) but the area in general has always struck me as I dunno, kinda soulless. I wouldn't want to live there. The intersection there is very, very busy, and all the traffic and noise and pollution in general would really put me off considering the area home-y. As others have suggested, I'd really consider renting there for a while before buying. Sometimes, certain aspects of an area don't really occur to you as being important or unimportant until after you've already moved in, if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tmonty2000

Hi there, I have lived in Burnell Square since 2007 so know a bit about it! The block I live in is quite quiet with a lot of young families living there. I face N32 which can be noisy with traffic but after a while you don't notice it. Excellent location for travelling as have easy access to M50 and M1 with a regular bus service to city. Also only a couple of km from portmarnock beach and Malahide/Howth. Fees are usually around €1500 which is pricey but have no complaints about mgt company. One downside is that I have had a couple of bikes stolen from underground car park, but think a lot of apartment blocks have this problem. Apartments are well insulated, we only need heating during the winter season really. What apartment in Burnell Sq are you thinking of buying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

The massive Tesco's is good and the 27 bus is of interest if you've have a leaning towards anthropology.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 tosser5

The Tesco is great 24 hours and there's otehr shops there also and the hilton hotel, creche and meadows and byrne etc. it is also quite close to town and served well with buses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 labelleshell

I've lived here since 2007. In my experience of living in developments as a tenant I've mostly found that they slowly deteriorate and become a bit nasty. But I'm happy to say that my block looks more or less like the day I moved in. All the public areas are cleaned once a week and the development maintenance man, Dominic, is on hand to fix and repair any day to day issues.

The management company changed a couple of years back along with the extortionate management fees. They are now around 1500 but I'm aware that a large portion of that goes on security and lift services which are second to none and there is a portion going into a sinking fund. Apart from looking after the daily management fees they have changed the landscaping on the roof gardens so that in the long run they are most cost efficient. And they look pretty good! The apartments have an A BER rating. I don't know how I'll ever afford to live anywhere with a bad BER.

There are a few undisirables in the locality but this development thanks to the security is still a very safe place to live. There is a residents committee who meet with the management company to discuss how to proceed with issues and plans in the pipeline for the development. It's a pity that there aren't more shops and businesses in the empty units but the large spar, wine store, hairdressers and meadows & Byrnes are a good addition. And the Hilton isn't a bad spot for a quiet drink.

My husband and I had a baby a year back. Initially we thought we would have to move but fortunately it's working out quite well for us. The giraffe crèche is a god send and there's an educate together and a catholic primary school in belmayne a few minutes away. Prob wasn't how many people planned family living but it seems to be working out for us. My neighbours are all pretty cool. Young professionals mostly although a few of us have started families.

All in all, I would recommend burnell sq as a place to live as a professional or a family.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I don't live in the location, but I'd regularly drink in Campions ~ don't miss having a pint here, use the bar.. Great little family run 'country' pub where you can still buy from groceries from 'the snug.

At €5:30 a pint in The Hilton you probably won't drink there too often, and the food is pretty bland tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I don't live in the location, but I'd regularly drink in Campions ~ don't miss having a pint here, use the bar.. Great little family run 'country' pub where you can still buy from groceries from 'the snug.

A pub that's up for sale. Possibly getting out before it becomes a road in 2018 if plans go ahead, you would think they would hold out for a better offer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Davy wrote: »
    A pub that's up for sale. Possibly getting out before it becomes a road in 2018 if plans go ahead, you would think they would hold out for a better offer

I heard that as far back as ten years ago, and haven't heard it mentioned since.

I'm there at least once a week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement