Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking for information about UCD

Options
  • 07-12-2012 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hello everybody ! My name is Melodie and I'm french and I'm looking for a university to go to during a year abroad next year, and my university has a partnership with UCD. I'm really interested by UCD !!! It seems like an amazing university to go to. But I was wondering if someone could tell me what was life like in this university. (I'm studying law, so I will be in law school). Is there a big "student community" ? And by that I mean is there a lot of events organized at the university to which a lot of students go to ? Is there traditions ?
    I hope my english is good enough for everybody to understand :) Thanks !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Melodie31 wrote: »
    Hello everybody ! My name is Melodie and I'm french and I'm looking for a university to go to during a year abroad next year, and my university has a partnership with UCD. I'm really interested by UCD !!! It seems like an amazing university to go to. But I was wondering if someone could tell me what was life like in this university. (I'm studying law, so I will be in law school). Is there a big "student community" ? And by that I mean is there a lot of events organized at the university to which a lot of students go to ? Is there traditions ?
    I hope my english is good enough for everybody to understand :) Thanks !!

Probably biased when I say this but you couldn't pick a better university in Ireland. UCD is huge but actually very close knit between people. There are loads of activity societies and clubs, and UCD even have an international section that is dedicated to foreign students. I've never heard a bad word said about them and I've certainly never heard anyone say they regretted choosing UCD.

There is a big student ethos and you can do as much or as little work as you want, because you'll have plenty of opportunities to study what you want or take some time off, there are plenty of events every day to choose from.

Any questions, just ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

My housemate is a French student studying law here and to be honest she's not really getting as much as she could be from the experience. She hangs out with her French buddies all the time and her English is very poor for someone studying at her level.

My advice would be to get involved with societies and not get drawn into hanging out with French students (as tempting as it can be when you want to have a break from all the English in lectures).

Also, I'd highly recommend joining the International Society and getting involved with the committee (just message them on their facebook page- they're really welcoming to new people wanting to take part). In my experiences they're a very open and welcoming crowd and always have the best trips around Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Melodie31

Thanks to both of you for your answers ! UCD seems really cool ! And I agree with you, Siuin, I will try to hang out with irish people. I really want to "embrace" the culture and lifestyle and to really discover the country ! I can't wait !
    Also, I've heard university over there (ireland / UK) always have some traditions ? Is that true ? That's seem pretty cool too.

Advertisement