Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army reserve

Options
  • 07-12-2012 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Are the army reserve currently recruiting? or do they only recruit a limited few at certain times?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

There's no recruitment atm because of the reorg of the RDF. When the reorg is complete though, it's anticipated there'll be a new wave of recruitment. Right now there are a lot of battalions and companies standing down to be amalgamated and/or relocated with their PDF counterparts. So maybe in January/February when the 'transition' is complete, go down to your nearest barracks and ask about joining the reserves and they might be recruiting then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 David Davidson

Thanks for the reply, Is there some sort of competition like with cadets or is it just sign a form and you're in?

Thanks for the reply, Is there some sort of competition like with cadets or is it just sign a form and you're in?

Up to now it's been a case of first come, first serve and you just sign the enlistment forms. But the VFM report mentioned a change in the way recruitment is carried out, so I wouldn't be surprised if they change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

Are the army reserve currently recruiting? or do they only recruit a limited few at certain times?
    Turbine wrote: »
    So maybe in January/February when the 'transition' is complete, go down to your nearest barracks and ask about joining the reserves
    It will be April before things settle down. Recruitment may restart then or maybe soon after. According to several sources, there could be a lot of recruiting soon to fill up all the empty Private positions - there is likely to be thousands of vacancies. There will be room for over 4000 people - with only about 2500 effective at the moment, and a lot of them in senior ranks, there is going to be a lot of vacancies at the lower ranks. Whether that will open up a lot of recruitment remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

Doctor14 wrote: »

It will be April before things settle down. Recruitment may restart then or maybe soon after. According to several sources, there could be a lot of recruiting soon to fill up all the empty Private positions - there is likely to be thousands of vacancies. There will be room for over 4000 people - with only about 2500 effective at the moment, and a lot of them in senior ranks, there is going to be a lot of vacancies at the lower ranks. Whether that will open up a lot of recruitment remains to be seen.

In theory the rdf need to let people go to meet the new set strength, however that's working of 2011 figures. Your right tho there are too little pte's but there are also too many senior ranks, so when they eventually balance things up there will be recruitment but not in the thousands or anywhere near it

• Advertisement

c-90 wrote: »
    In theory the rdf need to let people go to meet the new set strength, however that's working of 2011 figures. Your right tho there are too little pte's but there are also too many senior ranks, so when they eventually balance things up there will be recruitment but not in the thousands or anywhere near it

I know of a few NCOs going down in ranks as part of the reorg. But as you say that's just the first step, they need to get new recruits into the RDF and a lot of them. But they also need to change the way they recruit people, because there are way too many people that f**k off after recruit training and still stay on the books, and then take up a place that could've been given to someone that actually had an interest in it. Even if it was just a brief interview to find out exactly why they want to join and what they expect to get out of it, as well as gauging their commitment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

To survive, you need to start recruiting people who are in for the long term. Maybe stop prioritising those who join as a stepping stone to the PDF? They'll either leave when they join the PDF or leave when they fail to join the PDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

It doesn't matter who you recruit, to retain soldiers you need to give them an incentive to stay( getting to play soldier only works for so long).

With grat being cut and paid training being reduced to camp, I imagine retention of troops is something the new reserve will still have difficulty with.

c-90 wrote: »
    With grat being cut and paid training being reduced to camp, I imagine retention of troops is something the new reserve will still have difficulty with.

The grat is being scrapped, but the money is going towards increased mandays, so there should be an increase in training which I'd prefer to the grat anyway.

As for having an incentive, everyone joins the reserves knowing full well you won't be deployed alongside the PDF either at home or overseas. I'm sure the novelty wears off at some point, but the people I've seen quit are just people who weren't bothered to begin with.

But given that reserve companies will now be attached onto their PDF units, this should hopefully mean more opportunities to train with the PDF and access to better equipment, which should help act as an incentive for recruitment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

I wouldn't be that optimistic about either recruitment or increased access to better equipment and training. Somehow I cannot see the PDF showing any more enthusiasm for their new role then they have in the past.

For any of the good stuff to happen you have assume that the whole attitude to the Reserve changes. You have to assume the whole changeover will be well organised with clear objectives and that recruitment will be pursued with the desire to only recruit those who are prepared to commit to it.

You also have to assume difficult decisions will have to made and that many long term NCOs will be told their services are no longer required so as to make room newly recruited privates.

Even if this does all work out you have to hope that the ratio of effectives to non effectives will improve. With the new numbers that could mean only about a thousand effectives. Insignificant numbers.

You also have to believe the re-organisation is a sincere attempt to achieve an effective reserve force and not simply a last throw of the dice. With the the reserves now nothing more than an addenda to the PDF. It will be so much easier to let it fade out.

I don't see much of a future for the reserves. They should have just disbanded it with honour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

i tried joining the reserves in march 2012 , there were 25 names and like 2 spaces, says it all really , i think the FCA was better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

i tried joining the reserves in march 2012 , there were 25 names and like 2 spaces, says it all really , i think the FCA was better

With 25 people chasing 2 slots there is hope for a better quality of recruit than the "access for all" policy of the FCA which allowed people in that I wouldnt trust with a stick let alone a rifle !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Owryan wrote: »
    With 25 people chasing 2 slots there is hope for a better quality of recruit than the "access for all" policy of the FCA which allowed people in that I wouldnt trust with a stick let alone a rifle !!

Depends on your perspective. You could also argue that the purpose of an organisation like the FCA is to give rudimentry military training to the maximum number of people at minimum cost.

Depends on what strategic benefit the powers that be placed on having a large group of potential troops within the general population.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

bluecode wrote: »
    I wouldn't be that optimistic about either recruitment or increased access to better equipment and training. Somehow I cannot see the PDF showing any more enthusiasm for their new role then they have in the past.

For any of the good stuff to happen you have assume that the whole attitude to the Reserve changes. You have to assume the whole changeover will be well organised with clear objectives and that recruitment will be pursued with the desire to only recruit those who are prepared to commit to it.

You also have to assume difficult decisions will have to made and that many long term NCOs will be told their services are no longer required so as to make room newly recruited privates.

Even if this does all work out you have to hope that the ratio of effectives to non effectives will improve. With the new numbers that could mean only about a thousand effectives. Insignificant numbers.

You also have to believe the re-organisation is a sincere attempt to achieve an effective reserve force and not simply a last throw of the dice. With the the reserves now nothing more than an addenda to the PDF. It will be so much easier to let it fade out.

I don't see much of a future for the reserves. They should have just disbanded it with honour.

As being a member of the RDF for the lst 13 yrs. I am currently on my 3rd company name change, I was the last recruit camp to fire the FN 7.62 and we then got the Steyr and I fired the Bren Gun LMG for a few years and I did a course on the FN Mag GPMG and that is our current weapon just like the PDF. I think there are currently 6500 people on paper after the Re-Org but they were expecting this number to be down to 4500 or less. There is a lot of rumours that 2016 could be the end of the RDF/FCA after ceremonies for the 100th year Anniversary of the Easter Rising or what could happen that all Rdf units be based in Pdf barracks. As for recruiting I can't see any in the next few years unless numbers drop really low beyond sustainable figures

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

Hi I applied for the army reserves in my local area? What does it consist of as in duties? And is it possible to maintain a full time job as well as the reserve army? Anybody else apply recently??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

most people are either in college or full time employed whilst serving. for example, i live in balbriggan work in dublin city and serve in a Bn based in louth.

duties consist of 2 hrs a week, minimum of 1 weeks full time training a year, medical test annually, fitness test annually, annual range practices and any other time you have spare that you wish to give to the reserves, you can do so if theres training or courses etc on for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

Morpheus wrote: »
    most people are either in college or full time employed whilst serving. for example, i live in balbriggan work in dublin city and serve in a Bn based in louth.

duties consist of 2 hrs a week, minimum of 1 weeks full time training a year, medical test annually, fitness test annually, annual range practices and any other time you have spare that you wish to give to the reserves, you can do so if theres training or courses etc on for you.

Could u give me an insight to the level of training and fitness,thanks for ur reply and knowledge.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

My advice is to find your local RDF unit and drop up there for a talk on a training night. most units train on wed or thurs nights. we are all actively recruiting with open nights etc being set up over the coming weeks.

Advertisement