Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the Operating System Stored.

Options
  • 07-12-2012 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Never too late to learn:D I always thought it was stored on the hard drive, probably in its own partition.

However I see 2nd hand pc's for sale that say it is
    Window's XP, but yet the hard drive has been removed.

If I was to put my own hard drive in where would I find the operating system, is there a copy in the BIOS (that sounds good):D and can it be just copied and pasted over to the hard drive or does it take hours to re-install.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If it's installed then it is on the hard drive.

It could be that with the hard drive removed you get a copy of the OS to install once you put in a hard drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Usually the operating system in windows case is found on the c:/ drive under the windows folder.

As far as I know there is no way an operating system can be integrated into a devices bios.

You can't copy the windows folder from one hdd to another, it just doesn't work as MBR and other bits of information need to be setup on the HDD.

Advertisement