Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New bike and underground car park? Would you?

• 07-12-2012 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Bought a new Tiger 800, picking up in Jan.

First and only new vehicle I'll ever buy, probably.

Three weeks ago move into apartment in Dublin city centre (near Usher's). So far I've had an attempted robbery on my bicycle, and had my motorbike cover (cheap one) stolen which was stuffed under the bicycle, but locked (they cut the cover to remove from lock). Looked like a piece of rubbish and wasn't even in good condition. My current motorbike was not there.

Purchased lots more locks and I'm pretty sure nobody will bother or be able to steal anything now, without a lot of effort.

My big worry is vandalism, though...so much so that I'm thinking of leaving it in a friend's garage and trying to get out of my fixed lease. Sucks :( ... these scumbags seem to be in every few weeks. Seen a broken window and and a broken door so far also...

Reckon if a thief comes to my bike and sees 6 locks on it they're gonna just kick it over to piss me off...

Don't think I have a solution. Ideas? Move the hell out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭rameire

is there possibly a storeroom in the underground carpark that you could get a key for and lock your bike in there.

it could be more secure.

I was in an apartment complex and got a key for a storage room and used it as my motorbike area. unfortunately one day I didnt lock it and it was nicked.

this was a locked room, in a secure underground car park that had security at the entrance and exit to the car park.

so, in reality, something may be more secure, but the scum in this world will go to lengths to be the scummiest ever.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

rameire wrote: »
    is there possibly a storeroom in the underground carpark that you could get a key for and lock your bike in there.

it could be more secure.

I was in an apartment complex and got a key for a storage room and used it as my motorbike area. unfortunately one day I didnt lock it and it was nicked.

this was a locked room, in a secure underground car park that had security at the entrance and exit to the car park.

so, in reality, something may be more secure, but the scum in this world will go to lengths to be the scummiest ever.

No such room seems to exist...Good idea though! Sorry to hear about your bike...scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

First, a tracker.

Do you have an allotted space ? Could you put one of those secure bunker things anywhere ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Is this your bike?

0908_sbkp_12_z+security_locks_reviewed+inst_lead.jpg

galwaytt wrote: »
    First, a tracker.

Do you have an allotted space ? Could you put one of those secure bunker things anywhere ?

Cannot find a tracker that is a reasonable price...

Have my own space, yep...Secure bunker things? That sounds expensive! :D But possibly worth it in the long run, if they are portable! Got any links? Google not showing anything...
    Cienciano wrote: »
    Is this your bike?

0908_sbkp_12_z+security_locks_reviewed+inst_lead.jpg

Pretty much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

That is not far off what mine is like in the back garden, except the locks are through the back wheel and the ground anchor. Just a disc lock and a oxford heavy through the front also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

First, a tracker.

Trackers are easily defeated. The OP is only renting so I doubt that they would be able to install anything in the garage.

OP have a look at your lease and see if you can get out of it, you may have to find someone to take it over. Underground car parks definitely aren't secure enough to stop vandalism and there are too many scumbags around everywhere.

Depending on who insurers you it may be an issue storing it in a different post code/location. I keep my bike in my folks place, live in an apartment with nowhere to secure it. With Adelaide they wouldn't cover it stored somewhere I didn't live, so insured it as parked on road. Currently with Carole Nash and they accept the different location, but bike can't be locked overnight within IIRC 10km of the address I gave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I wouldn't leave my bike out of sight tbh OP.

I on the door of a bar not too far from you (rock/metal/biker bar) and we've always a few bikes outside, even at that we've had to chase off scum trying to rob bikes.

For a new bike like the Tiger I'm afraid they'd stop at nothing to take your ride.

If I lived in an apartment and absolutely had to leave my bike in the underground car park I'd put an anchor lock in and feck what the management company have to say.. You can get a good anchor on ebay for twenty odd Euro, I wouldn't buy local.

I picked this up from ebay recently for €25 delivered (Rawl bolts and bearings included);

bikelock.jpg

Best of luck OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭Quebec Delta Mike

Don't know if this would help, has to be worth a look...a "Bike Barn",,,

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1661999

Best of luck

QDM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Might be worth also just putting the over on the bike even when under ground.

Scumbags are like Magpies. They are attracted to shiny things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

rat_race wrote: »

Cannot find a tracker that is a reasonable price...

Sorry, but that's false economy. Spending 10k on a bike, but not 250 to keep it safe ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Its well documented on here and word of mouth that underground carparks are the worst place for theft....what is the point in having that bike and not getting a good nights sleep when you pick it up. I would be deffo getting a ground anchor and 2 Almax chains and getting a meta alarm on that bike it will not last 3mths without it.

I am not having a go and you mate far from it but why on earth did you get such a sexy bike with no where safe to park it? I know that scum should not dictate what you are entitled to buy but this is the world we live in.

Very best of luck.....hope you get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭tu2j2

Is Dublin really that bad for bikes getting robbed?

Its really putting me off until I can afford somewhere to live with a garage or some proper secure setup. Its probably the only way to be fully certain it won't be messed with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Bought a new Tiger 800, picking up in Jan.

First and only new vehicle I'll ever buy, probably.

Three weeks ago move into apartment in Dublin city centre (near Usher's). So far I've had an attempted robbery on my bicycle, and had my motorbike cover (cheap one) stolen which was stuffed under the bicycle, but locked (they cut the cover to remove from lock). Looked like a piece of rubbish and wasn't even in good condition. My current motorbike was not there.

Purchased lots more locks and I'm pretty sure nobody will bother or be able to steal anything now, without a lot of effort.

My big worry is vandalism, though...so much so that I'm thinking of leaving it in a friend's garage and trying to get out of my fixed lease. Sucks :( ... these scumbags seem to be in every few weeks. Seen a broken window and and a broken door so far also...

Reckon if a thief comes to my bike and sees 6 locks on it they're gonna just kick it over to piss me off...

Don't think I have a solution. Ideas? Move the hell out?

Friends garage.............throw him a few quid each month for the use of the garage.

Then get a house with a side entrance and store bike in back garden or in a small bike shed in the back garden/side of house.

Question for you...would your insurance pay up if it was thrashed while being stored down in an underground carpark??

You know what insurance companies can be like...

I on the door of a bar not too far from you (rock/metal/biker bar) and we've always a few bikes outside, even at that we've had to chase off scum trying to rob bikes.

For a new bike like the Tiger I'm afraid they'd stop at nothing to take your ride.

If I lived in an apartment and absolutely had to leave my bike in the underground car park I'd put an anchor lock in and feck what the management company have to say.. You can get a good anchor on ebay for twenty odd Euro, I wouldn't buy local.

I picked this up from ebay recently for €25 delivered (Rawl bolts and bearings included);

bikelock.jpg

Best of luck OP.

No offence but I wouldn't buy anything from Ebay that I'd need to keep a brand new bike safe, there are way too many fakes being sold on it these days. There are plenty of reputable sites in the UK/EU selling ground anchors. I'm with Galwaytt, no point in spending big money on a bike and scrimping on the security. You can get this for €50, it's sold secure approved.
    Sorry, but that's false economy. Spending 10k on a bike, but not 250 to keep it safe ?
    tu2j2 wrote: »

Its really putting me off until I can afford somewhere to live with a garage or some proper secure setup. Its probably the only way to be fully certain it won't be messed with.

With the correct security your bike will be fairly safe, if they really want to steal something there is nothing you can do, but there are loads of scumbags who like to break shinny things and even more ignorant people who don't realise that bikes can fall over if you mess with them. Unfortunately there is something wrong with lots of people who live in apartment blocks here and they don't seem to comprehend that security in apartment complexes is to secure everyone's property, they'll leave doors open or let random people in.

If you can get a place with an entrance to the back garden you'll be fine, out of sit out of mind.

• Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭Prima Nocte

Sounds like you need to move to a respectable neighbourhood.

Del2005 wrote: »
    No offence but I wouldn't buy anything from Ebay that I'd need to keep a brand new bike safe, there are way too many fakes being sold on it these days.

No offense taken, its a fairly substantial anchor tbh.

Then there's two cars parked behind the bike and a security post in the ground securing those ~ so if a helicopter can lift my bike out I'll be damned :D

Btw how can you fake a steel anchor?.

Thats a nice anchor in your link.

tu2j2 wrote: »

Yes.
    Sounds like you need to move to a respectable neighbourhood.

All it takes is a scumbag to take a fancy to your bike and follow you home to your Dalkey pad and take it from you!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Yes.

All it takes is a scumbag to take a fancy to your bike and follow you home to your Dalkey pad and take it from you!.

I live in D8. I've had my car vandalised three times in Dalkey...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Then there's two cars parked behind the bike and a security post in the ground securing those ~ so if a helicopter can lift my bike out I'll be damned :D

By using soft ca@p steel instead of proper hardened stuff.

OP you can get bike alarms that page/text you when they go off. Can't think of the name of them offhand but google is your friend.

• Advertisement

uberwolf wrote: »
    I live in D8. I've had my car vandalised three times in Dalkey...

And I'm in Portmarnock and would have a Gatling gun guard my bike if I thought someone was coming after it :D

If there's a market for something some prick will come after it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

TBH with a brand new bike I would buy one of these and put it in my assigned space:

20%20foor%20container.jpg

then weld wheel chock, ground anchors etc to the inside of it.

Fvck the management company, they're not the ones who will lose their NCB when your bike is robbed.

True enough. I guess I would buy a tracker if one was recommended. TBH, I cannot find much choice? Any recommendations?
    Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Its well documented on here and word of mouth that underground carparks are the worst place for theft....what is the point in having that bike and not getting a good nights sleep when you pick it up. I would be deffo getting a ground anchor and 2 Almax chains and getting a meta alarm on that bike it will not last 3mths without it.

I am not having a go and you mate far from it but why on earth did you get such a sexy bike with no where safe to park it? I know that scum should not dictate what you are entitled to buy but this is the world we live in.

I can get a ground anchor probably, as my space is close to a pillar. Also, I put the order on the bike when I was living in Wicklow just before I decided to move up here (changed jobs)...And I felt like it was a quiet-ish place and didn't really think there'd be many issues. But it's actually close to rough enough areas...should have done my research :( ... Ugh!
    paddy147 wrote: »

Question for you...would your insurance pay up if it was thrashed while being stored down in an underground carpark??

Unsure...must find out! Also, trouble with my friend's garage is that it is in Wicklow...and unsure if he'd be happy with it. Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Buy an old van, park that in your parking spot, then put the bike in the back of the van.

No need to tax the van, as you will not be driving it, and it is on private property.

Called my landlord. He was unaware of any issues here in general, but then again there are few cyclists/motorcyclists about here.

Got permission to install an anchor on the pillar...which will be handy for my current bike which I intend to keep. Or I might just buy an extra long almax that might wrap around the pillar.

TBH, I didn't want to leave my bike outside, but I might buy one of those tent-like covers and mostly leave at my folks home in Wicklow, and only keep it up here "now and again"...

Pain in the ass because it effectively reduces the usefulness of the bike for me, but it's possibly bit big for city riding, anyway...(I'm trying to convince myself I'm better off...).

P.C. wrote: »
    Buy an old van, park that in your parking spot, then put the bike in the back of the van.

No need to tax the van, as you will not be driving it, and it is on private property.

Great idea...But how Do I get a Tiger 800 into a van everyday? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Push it in.

As said cheap soft steel instead of harden stuff. It's a different story using one with other vehicles blocking the bike in close to you house and having to leave it in an underground car where they can make as much noise as they like.

show_image_in_imgtag.php?filename=resized%2FLa_Corsa_Alloy_R_50247bbe29673_150x150.jpg&newxsize=150&newysize=150&fileout=

Just make sure the van is private as most complexes don't allow commercial vehicles to park. You don't have to tax it, just change it's class. Or you could stick 3 months onto it and if the Management company/agent complain simply point to the private tax disc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

bikelock.jpg

Best of luck OP.

Really that is the most stupid unhelpful advice. If you knew anything about management company operations you would know that they would remove any unauthorised fitting/alterations to the property. I would advise him to approach the property manager and explain your predicament? I'm sure that if it is a good management company they will consider any request that will improve the security of the property and belongings of residents. You will not get away with installing your own fitting

• Advertisement

Luca Brasi wrote: »
    Really that is the most stupid unhelpful advice.

Think of my feelings :o

Advertisement