Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S40 - Buying Advice needed

Options
  • 08-12-2012 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi All

Currently looking at buying a 2008 S40....1.6 diesel, 54k miles on the clock
    Read a bit on here about altenators and DPF replacment.
    In short are they reliable??
    I need something that will give me good fuel efficiency and wont need me to fix it every 6 months.
    I'll be doing about 18k miles per year so it'll be well used.

Anyone any advice on these cars....should I avoid or go with it?
    Took it for a test drive today and it seems like a nice enough car.
    But a bit wary on the reliability side of things....should i take the plunge??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

do you do mostly town or motorway driving or a mixture of both? also what is your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭crossvilla

Good car, not as much poke in the 1.6's compared to the 2.0D. I had to have alternator replaced at 136k miles in my 2005 S40. If your looking for 2008, low litre, affordable, diesel you won't find better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 rocker74

Idbatterim wrote: »
    do you do mostly town or motorway driving or a mixture of both? also what is your budget?

It'll be pretty much half and half....I'll be up and down the m50 a lot and into town most days....so it'll get some decent runs but a fair bit of stop start too

Budget is about 12k

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

These are not a reliable car. The dula mass flywheel gives problems as does the ABS control unit. The engines are good but if you dont service them on the button with correct oil they can give major grief. Wouldnt touch one with a barge pole, and thats based on knowing 3 people with that particular diesel model.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9 rocker74

Needles73 wrote: »
    These are not a reliable car. The dula mass flywheel gives problems as does the ABS control unit. The engines are good but if you dont service them on the button with correct oil they can give major grief. Wouldnt touch one with a barge pole, and thats based on knowing 3 people with that particular diesel model.....

That sounds rather definitive!
    Thanks for replying.
    A bigger car loan and a VW golf instead then I guess...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Dual mass flywheel issues and DPF failures are not just limited to the Volvo, but would appear to be accros the board with new oil burners. My brother has the 2l 2007 V50, and has had the ABS module and alternator go faulty in the five years of ownership. If you want something that will not cost you go with a KIA 7 year warrenty, failing that just bargain into the cost of the V40 some repairs as they are a nice car.

Advertisement