Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which was/is the BEST era for gaming?

• 08-12-2012 1:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭

In my opinion 8-bit all the way,Not even a slightest doubt about it!!

Which was/is the BEST era for gaming? 61 votes

1980s - the 8 bit home computer/consoles
    0% 0 votes
    1990s - the 16 bit/console era
    9% 6 votes
    Late 90s - Today PC era
    37% 23 votes
    The Future - Wii,PS3,etc
    52% 32 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

Mgs release.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

late 90's-today, easy god damn peasy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Tho i can't really comment on the 80's. Both the 90's and 00's were great, games are continuing to improve every few years imo, so the future is looking sweet too. Im not really one of those people who insist movies/games or music from past generations is the best just to be a hipster.

The 90's was all about mario and zelda for me, in the 00's counterstrike and other MP games made up the majority of my playing time. Hard to say which i enjoyed the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Taking out the joust cartridge, and putting in the pole position one..

8 bit heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Magill wrote: »
    Tho i can't really comment on the 80's. Both the 90's and 00's were great, games are continuing to improve every few years imo, so the future is looking sweet too. Im not really one of those people who insist movies/games or music from past generations is the best just to be a hipster.

The 90's was all about mario and zelda for me, in the 00's counterstrike and other MP games made up the majority of my playing time. Hard to say which i enjoyed the most.

The 90s. in fact the 90s were just about the best.for everything including music. all gone downhill since the turn of the century

• Advertisement

Rodin wrote: »
    The 90s. in fact the 90s were just about the best.for everything including music. all gone downhill since the turn of the century

shut up hipster ! :P

LOTR > Every movie from the 90's... fact !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

This one cos we can play the other eras whenever we want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Late 80's to the mid 90's, I think, but I grew up during the 16Bit war (You were either SNES or Mega Drive :pac:).

Plus, I'm factoring in the arcade industry. That was a place to go to when growing up, to play superior looking games your console could only dream of playing.

Either way, I don't have a favourite. I love this generation, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

shut up hipster ! :P

trainspotting, pulp fiction, la confidential, magnolia, SEVEN . . .
    carlitos way, schindlers list, fight club, toy story, reservoir dogs

oh and goodfellas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

The 90s. in fact the 90s were just about the best.for everything including music.

I was born in the 80's, but I can tell you the above is completely wrong.
    60's and 70's are obviously the best decades for Music - FACT

90's - best for toys and cartoons :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

trainspotting, pulp fiction, la confidential, magnolia, SEVEN . . .

Gladiator, The dark knight, city of god, eternal sunshine of a spotless mind, twilight......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I don't really understand the poll. What does it mean by "Late 90s - Today PC era" and "The Future - Wii,PS3,etc."?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Gladiator, The dark knight, city of god, eternal sunshine of a spotless mind, twilight......

PAH!!!!!!!!!!! Shooting yourself in the foot there my friend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

newmug wrote: »
    PAH!!!!!!!!!!! Shooting yourself in the foot there my friend!

It seems sarcasm doesn't work on the internet. Who knew?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Right about now is the greatest era ever for PC Gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Right about now is the greatest era ever for PC Gaming.
    Where were you at the end of the 90s? :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Right now is always the best time for any medium TBH - we have not only the excitement of all the new works being produced but also access to (near) everything that has come before. Today you could tackle Super Metroid, Dark Souls and Half Life one after the other if you so wished - a luxury that was unavailable to previous generations of gamers. It shall only continue so long as interesting games are being produced.
    Magill wrote:

Must... resist... replying... to... ludicrous... hyperbole...

Must... resist... replying... to... ludicrous... hyperbole...

You just did, don't worry, i was only half serious so don't **** your pants mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Late 80's to the mid 90's, I think, but I grew up during the 16Bit war (You were either SNES or Mega Drive :pac:).

Plus, I'm factoring in the arcade industry. That was a place to go to when growing up, to play superior looking games your console could only dream of playing.

Either way, I don't have a favourite. I love this generation, too.

I used to play Sega Rally in the arcades, amazing graphics at the time tho bloody expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Pretty obviously the current gen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

90s-current.

I had find memories of Nes and sega, but we have to face facts. Current time is a golden age of gaming.

Nostalgia is a heroin for old people. I had fun back then, but I broke my pink nostalgia glasses ages ago.
    We got a great range of games these days. The range of age groups increased drastically. We get proper mature games and we stil got games for younglings.

The only reason I would pick up old Nes/sega games, would be to have it as a collectors item. That's it.

And yeah, we had some fine games back in the day, but no way you could grab out of my hands eve, bf3, witcher, fallout, jagged alliance, heroes, quake, halflife out of my hands,!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

It's hard to say, really. The gems of each generation always shine through- Street Fighter II, Super Mario World, Sonic The Hedgehog and the lads in the 16-bit days. Tomb Raider, Twisted Metal 2: World Tour, Resident Evil 2, Final Fantasy VIII and the likes in the PS1 days. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening, God Of War and so on in PS2's days. Now we've got Bayonetta, Mass Effect Trilogy, Mortal Kombat (reboot), Assassin's Creed, Darksiders, and lots more to chuck onto the heap of classics. The thing is though. Behind all these classic from each generation, there is an ocean of sh1te games. here are so many great and bad games out there, that's it's really tough for me to say that any one gen is the best of all times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

Has to be today for me. Games are so much more accessible, gaming community is so much more accessible, mods, indie, etc. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

90's for me. You had the 16-bit computers which were the absolute pinnacle of 2D gaming. You had a vibrant PC gaming scene. Then there was the late 90's when gaming started to go 3D. Although most games from them have aged extremely poorly there was a huge amount of excitement about the future of gaming.

Around 1997 however 3D gaming on consoles started to get a lot better, although on PC 3D gaming was a lot better established since it got a better head start. In 1996 online gaming really took off with Quake. Also a big factor was the move to CD and the low cost of licensing on the PS1 and on PC it was basically zero. It meant you had a lot of small companies making very niche games on tiny budgets and still able to survive on meagre sales. It meant you got a huge influx of imaginative titles that really was unique until the indie scene took off recently.

The game industry these days is extremely boring. There's nothing but safe games being made because it costs too much to take a chance and when something like Demon's Souls or Deadly Premonition is released it's a small miracle. At least the indie and handheld scene is still vibrant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

The height of the Commodore Amiga empire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Kids these days don't know how stupid they'll look in 10 years time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

System Shock 2 had the single biggest effect on me as a gamer. No game before or since took me to the sheer levels of fear and panic I felt when playing late into the night! That period from the late 90's and on when games really began to become beautiful, complex and truly immersive was my golden period. When graphics acceleration and the advent of OpenGL, physics engines and more challenging A.I. began to come in to their own. Masterpeices from a gameplay persepctive like HL2 and from a visual perspecive FarCry are great benchmarks. It just disappoints me so much now that games are now first developed for console then - maybe - ported to PC and not the other way around. So much detail is lost from the depth of play on PC games. The latest Crysis is a perfect example of this.

So, yeah - the PC era all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

Atari St. Rocked.

Asteroids and Pong

Advertisement