Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

retailer specific preorder bonuses eh

I thought dark souls was better than this :/

Yeah, better not be anything overpowered in the early bonus stuff. Whatever bout themes or stuff. But being handed things you need to find isn't the Dark Souls way. What next, buying souls for real money?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

So far it seems like DkS2 isn't connected (storywise) to DkS1 at all. I have a feeling that towards the end of the game the narrative for both games will link up and its gonna be an OMFG moment. Im so hype for this game. Make it stop, make the waiting stop

So far it seems like DkS2 isn't connected (storywise) to DkS1 at all. I have a feeling that towards the end of the game the narrative for both games will link up and its gonna be an OMFG moment. Im so hype for this game. Make it stop, make the waiting stop

I don't mind if they're totally unconnected, there might be some crossover characters like Patches or weapons and the like

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

there've been a few clues in item descriptions in some o f the videos ive seen, linking DS2 and DS1 but yeah it seems they are quite far removed in space and time

not sure how I feel about that..i was kinda hoping for a sort of "previously on dark souls" sort of story

I guess it would have been cool to see a larger part of Lordran with new lore, its apparently a coastal type area in DS2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Reading up on the gameplay mechanics and this caught my eye:
    Every time you die in Dark Souls II, your health bar drops a bit. Die enough and it will drop down to 50%. Burning a human effigy is the only way to regain your human form and reset it - and that, in turn, leaves you open to more invasions (invasions can now happen when you're undead, but they're more likely when you're human or playing in co-op). Plus, those effigies aren't infinite.

I'm not do sure about that

i like it, it was too easy to avoid multiplayer in dark souls by just remaining hollow. now you can never avoid being invaded (well alright, playing offline) it's as much a part of the world as estus and fat rolls

jesus I just realised... there probably won't be a balder side sword in dark souls 2 :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Vicxas wrote: »
    Reading up on the gameplay mechanics and this caught my eye:

I'm not do sure about that

It was like this in Demon Souls but only one death would set your HP to 50%. I read another post about how invasions work but i can't for the life of me find it in my history.
    People with high Sin get invaded first, one way to increase your Sin level is invading other players and killing them.

The second tier i forgot :rolleyes:

Third tier was being in human form

Forth was being hollow

I'm not to worried about being invaded since apparently there are items that will stop invasions for a small amount of time and covenants that will come to you aid the moment your invaded, Blue Sentinels i believe they where called.

i like it, it was too easy to avoid multiplayer in dark souls by just remaining hollow. now you can never avoid being invaded (well alright, playing offline) it's as much a part of the world as estus and fat rolls

jesus I just realised... there probably won't be a balder side sword in dark souls 2 :/

I'll admit I stayed hollow a lot getting around in DS1, I definitely missed out on the online aspect of it that way though, but fought nearly every boss alone aside from the odd NPC. Had great craic invading and summoning on my 2nd playthrough though.

I actually like the idea of being punished for repeatedly dying, it's make you stop and really use caution instead of rushing back to bosses or particular enemies. Losing souls is annoying but not the end of the world and I tend to spend what I have on my anyway so there's never massive losses if I die on the way back to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

krudler wrote: »
    Yeah, better not be anything overpowered in the early bonus stuff. Whatever bout themes or stuff. But being handed things you need to find isn't the Dark Souls way. What next, buying souls for real money?

*cough*master key*cough*

:p

• Advertisement

that opened like.. 4 doors :)

that opened like.. 4 doors :)

3 too many.

Tommy_NDX wrote: »
    *cough*master key*cough*

:p

Hey I didn't pay extra for that, part of the game and and..shurrup!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

To be fair, the Master Key is great for 2nd and so on playthroughs. You probably don't even notice it first time around, as the paths it opens usually lead to much tougher enemies.

Kiith wrote: »
    To be fair, the Master Key is great for 2nd and so on playthroughs. You probably don't even notice it first time around, as the paths it opens usually lead to much tougher enemies.

True, without it you wouldnt be able to do get to the Valley of Drakes straight away, and doing the run for the red tearstone ring is usually suicide if you time the lightning blasts wrong or forget to press X to accept the spider shield so you can move and run (totally have never done that, cough).

Don't get me wrong, I used the Master Key on every play bar my first. I just don't like how often it's used by first timers as I'd rather they done it "properly" first. Just my opinion though. It also doesn't help that the other starting gifts are rubbish.

If DS2 has these things, it needs better starting gifts overall or maybe lock the master key until you finish your first play. Then give it to you on NG+ and subsequent characters if you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Tommy_NDX wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I used the Master Key on every play bar my first. I just don't like how often it's used by first timers as I'd rather they done it "properly" first. Just my opinion though. It also doesn't help that the other starting gifts are rubbish.

If DS2 has these things, it needs better starting gifts overall or maybe lock the master key until you finish your first play. Then give it to you on NG+ and subsequent characters if you want it.

I like this idea

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

A bit spoilerish but worth a look.

http://www.destructoid.com/dark-souls-ii-on-pc-looks-set-for-may-31-269907.phtml

probably not true, but also probably not terribly far off the truth

the master race could be waiting a good while to get their hands on DS2

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If it's true, i'm not that surprised tbh. They hadn't given us a concrete date yet, and with only a month to go till the console release, it was kind of worrying.

Not happy, but not surprised.

• Advertisement

on the plus side it means I'll get to play tropico 5 earlier than I thought I would

some spoilers, but a few of you are going to be happy anyway

only talks about the first hour or two of the game

Soooon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

The early reactions to the game seem so positive. Just need to figure out what platform to get it on.

danthefan wrote: »
    The early reactions to the game seem so positive. Just need to figure out what platform to get it on.

Honestly as long as it's more of the same with new areas, enemies and weapons I'll be happy out. The invasion and sin thing will be pretty interesting, hopefully it won't be a case of making some areas ludicrously hard due to invasions though. Getting across Anor Londo at times in DS1 is painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Honestly as long as it's more of the same with new areas, enemies and weapons I'll be happy out. The invasion and sin thing will be pretty interesting, hopefully it won't be a case of making some areas ludicrously hard due to invasions though. Getting across Anor Londo at times in DS1 is painful.

Because of invasions?

I sometimes wonder if I have a crap connection or something because I didn't feel I got invaded anywhere near as much as I would have liked during the game.

noodler wrote: »
    Because of invasions?

I sometimes wonder if I have a crap connection or something because I didn't feel I got invaded anywhere near as much as I would have liked during the game.

Yeah, well it can depend on your level. I'm playing ng+ and getting from the bonfire to the fog gate to fight O&S, grrr. Either get invaded going across the bridge or in the main hall with the archer and the giant guards, tons of fun having those two to deal with and himself launching arrows at you as someone else arrives to backstab you.

Yeah, well it can depend on your level. I'm playing ng+ and getting from the bonfire to the fog gate to fight O&S, grrr. Either get invaded going across the bridge or in the main hall with the archer and the giant guards, tons of fun having those two to deal with and himself launching arrows at you as someone else arrives to backstab you.

What format are you on?

noodler wrote: »
    What format are you on?

ps3, Have them well beaten again though. I keep saying I'm done with the game then wind up jumping into it :pac:

• Advertisement

ps3, Have them well beaten again though. I keep saying I'm done with the game then wind up jumping into it :pac:

I played through it 2.5 times to get the Platinum but can't recall ever feeling like I was being invaded too much

Advertisement