Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

It was my bday during the week and now I can afford dark souls 1 ptd and 2 .
    I can get both for about 51 pounds with free shipping on amazon .
    Does anyone know any deals or better prices .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    It was my bday during the week and now I can afford dark souls 1 ptd and 2 .
    I can get both for about 51 pounds with free shipping on amazon .
    Does anyone know any deals or better prices .

You can get Demon Souls, Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 (Black Armour Edition) for €79 on www.videogamesplus.ca
    Shipping could be extra 15 or so though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

Just went NG+ on my first character and I regret it, didn't explore everything I wanted to or finish up all the content. I'm an idiot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

OdgeXD wrote: »
    Just went NG+ on my first character and I regret it, didn't explore everything I wanted to or finish up all the content. I'm an idiot
    Now you have something to look forward to this time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Does anyone else feel that they shouldn't allow lock on in PvP? Really hate it when you dodge every spell the guy throws at you and runs out and then he whips out a great bow on one shots you :(

calex71 wrote: »
    Does anyone else feel that they shouldn't allow lock on in PvP? Really hate it when you dodge every spell the guy throws at you and runs out and then he whips out a great bow on one shots you :(
    Arrows are really easy to miss though? Bows would be so useless in PVP if you couldn't lock on. Compared to DS1 they're way easier to avoid or hide from.

Najka doesn't mess about on NG+. Never had this much trouble before...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I feel they need to buff melee because when you get to the end of NG+ and further into NG++.......its a grind. It seems you can get the "best" melee weapons halfway through your first playthrough......and that's it. You cant get any better. Magic is just far superior because of the damage. Even dual wielding is fairly lack lustre.

If you watch any of the speedruns, they dual wield maces for the first bit, and then use dark magic for the rest and basically one shot everything.

Kirby wrote: »
    I feel they need to buff melee because when you get to the end of NG+ and further into NG++.......its a grind. It seems you can get the "best" melee weapons halfway through your first playthrough......and that's it. You cant get any better. Magic is just far superior because of the damage. Even dual wielding is fairly lack lustre.

If you watch any of the speedruns, they dual wield maces for the first bit, and then use dark magic for the rest and basically one shot everything.
    Yeah, the bias towards magic is really pissing me off to be honest. You could melee one-shot bosses in DS1, not a hope in this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

But I don't think anybody wants to one shot things and is complaining about that.....its just the lack of scaling. With melee.....you are as strong at 80 hours in as you were 20 hours in......and that's just ridiculous. You should be able to put 100 points into strength and see a damage bonus....and you don't.

The weapons don't get any better really and the damage boosts for pumping into str or dex is pathetic....even with S scale weapons. Believe me, I am pretty much have expert knowledge on all the weapons at this stage. The longer you play as a caster, the more spells you get and eventually when you have them all and the epic late game ones, you are infinitely stronger than you were at the start. Not so with a melee build. The only way to hit a little harder when you hit that ceiling with melee....is to augment them with spells. :(

• Advertisement

But I don't think anybody wants to one shot things and is complaining about that.....its just the lack of scaling.
    My point is though, you could progress your damage with melee to a point where you could land some huge hits. Not so much in this game. If you haven't got elemental boosts or Crystal Magic Weapon, bosses become games of endurance really...

Oh my god, NG+ surprise...
    Is it even possible to kill Freja there?

But I don't think anybody wants to one shot things and is complaining about that.....its just the lack of scaling. With melee.....you are as strong at 80 hours in as you were 20 hours in......and that's just ridiculous. You should be able to put 100 points into strength and see a damage bonus....and you don't.

The weapons don't get any better really and the damage boosts for pumping into str or dex is pathetic....even with S scale weapons. Believe me, I am pretty much have expert knowledge on all the weapons at this stage. The longer you play as a caster, the more spells you get and eventually when you have them all and the epic late game ones, you are infinitely stronger than you were at the start. Not so with a melee build. The only way to hit a little harder when you hit that ceiling with melee....is to augment them with spells. :(

Yeah thats what I've been doing, using dark mostly, trying to put points into Int. and using spices to get get the crystal one but by the time I do that I'd have been better served just respecing and asking Harry Potter for a lend of a wand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Ok lads, I've been trying to avoid spoilers or any lengthy videos of gameplay. But I haven't been able to avoid hearing about the PC versions graphics drama and the suspicious take-down of the steam screenshots. After reading about some gimped lighting mechanics I have but one question.

In the console versions at least... is there really actually a need to light torches? I heard the game simply doesn't get dark enough or have enough dark/light contrast for one to actually NEED to light your way, and all because they outright removed the advanced lighting system they were harping on about up until recently. So no Dragon's Dogma/Stalker/Silent Hill/Tomb Of Giants type environments?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,843 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I think I only used the torch in The Gutter and lit the sconces but it's nothing like tomb of the giants. The game looks much nicer when lit up but I finished it well over an hour worth of torch left.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I suppose it's never actually essential but there are areas where it is useful to have and there are also certain mechanisms which need the torch to work.

In general though no.. it's not essential.

Ok lads, I've been trying to avoid spoilers or any lengthy videos of gameplay. But I haven't been able to avoid hearing about the PC versions graphics drama and the suspicious take-down of the steam screenshots. After reading about some gimped lighting mechanics I have but one question.

In the console versions at least... is there really actually a need to light torches? I heard the game simply doesn't get dark enough or have enough dark/light contrast for one to actually NEED to light your way, and all because they outright removed the advanced lighting system they were harping on about up until recently. So no Dragon's Dogma/Stalker/Silent Hill/Tomb Of Giants type environments?

Yeah even in the Gutter there was no real need for a torch, the main issue I saw with the lighting was through some doors where there was a dark area beyond you couldn't see much but when you get close or go through you can see clear as day.

There actually was one section in the black gulch where I had to use a torch on the 1st run through
    the section with the two giants, I needed a torch but once I knew where the small caves were located I could go in blind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Realised last night there's an easy way to know which chest is a mimic. All the mimic ones have a little lock on the front of them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

God damn it. I was expecting having to light my way through like the early trailers and their interviews suggested. I guess it's my own damn fault for believing them.

gZ1P7KF.gif

Realised last night there's an easy way to know which chest is a mimic. All the mimic ones have a little lock on the front of them

Screw that.. there is only 1 way to make sure as far as I concerned and that is you hit that damn chest before opening it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 johnnydice

that rat is driving me insane!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

tok9 wrote: »
    Screw that.. there is only 1 way to make sure as far as I concerned and that is you hit that damn chest before opening it! :D

Exactly this.

tok9 wrote: »

Doesn't everything turn to rubbish when you hit a chest?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

Everyone is going on about the little lock on the chest, I find the blatantly obvious teeth around the rim are a bit more of a giveaway

I'm officially an idiot , was trying to keep Benheart alive in Memory of so was sprinting ahead to
    trigger the rolling head then back to help with the giants then on to the Giant King
    all going as planned except my chaos storm was barely tickling him ...... I was human with the dark one equipped :o

Once I copped that it was toasty boss and a very much alive Benheart :pac:

Edit: Ah here theres no scaling on the
    |Bluemoon greatsword
    wish i'd spotted that before I wasted titanite on it :mad:

Only after 3 hits.. if you hit a mimic once it'll start moving.

I was a moron in my fist playthrough. I hit all the wooden chests thinking being wooden made them traps/mimics. I thought when I got rubbish afterwards that proved it...didn't realise by hitting it, the item inside became rubbish! Lost a good 10 chests that way before I realised :o

Was heading for poison arrows earlier , got 999 and was heading back to the bonfire spotting a chest I'd missed, the blood stains should have been enough and I do normally check them but not this time om nom nom nom

I was only in the dragon aerie i noticed it. There was 2 chests and one of them had a lock on it and 4 bloodstains in front of it. Needless to say i was fairly suspicious

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,281 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Made it as far as Belfry Gargoyles last night on NG+ (which I beat solo!), the difficulty is ramped up nicely but I'd be pretty screwed without pyromancy tbh, dex weapons are pretty underpowered in this imo don't think I'd have gotten past the sentinels without help the damage I was doing was pathetic.

Getting my ass handed to me more in PvP now than I was in NG too, everyone has massive great swords that reach a few metres past the end of their blade and stun lock me until I'm dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,603 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Where I go after dradgonrider? Been busy at work and today first time to play

Advertisement