Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 JohnB7

Apologies for taking this off current topic.
    Just bought this and am daunted by the amount of time suggested to get into it. Any suggestions for first time into this world? I haven't played the previous ones at all so no experience on difficulty of it but not put off by that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

JohnB7 wrote: »
    Apologies for taking this off current topic.
    Just bought this and am daunted by the amount of time suggested to get into it. Any suggestions for first time into this world? I haven't played the previous ones at all so no experience on difficulty of it but not put off by that.
    - Try not to let your stamina run out completely a lot as it takes a while to charge back up, make an attack and give yourself some space, stamina is pretty much everything in terms of staying in control.

- As well as shielding attacks, you can roll to completely avoid many of them. How fast your roll is and consequently how long you stay 'invincible' depends on your equip load. You'll notice a speed difference after a certain point, heavy roll isn't great.

- Backstabbing can be useful if you can get a clear shot. The tutorial covers a lot of the moves.

- Don't try to kill NPC's, it is possible to kill nearly everything in the game!

- There is no 'pause' button in the game so best to take a break when you're at a bonfire or in a safe zone (remember other players can occasionally invade your game so take caution)

- Talk to every NPC more than once and exhaust their dialogue, it sometimes leads to bonuses.

- Stay plugged in online if possible, messages created by other players are very handy.

- When levelling up, try to figure out what kind of character you're aiming for and loosely focus on one/two stats in particular along with health/endurance.

- Don't be disheartened by a tough enemy, there's usually always a way :)

- Always light a bonfire you see, they're checkpoints. You can also light your torch from a bonfire if you need it.

- There are lots of different types of weapon in the game. Figure out which feels best for you. You can see what all the pictures mean on the stats screen by pressing select and going through them.

- Prepare to die. Dying is good though, you learn from your mistakes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd recommend focusing on spells and pyromancies - it might prove a little tricky at first (have some basic melee skills and weapons anyway!) but they're hugely beneficial later on.

If you're asked if you want to join the covenant of champions, do not join the covenant of champions :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I'm a bit confused, at the Darkdiver area in Shaded Woods and I really don't know if I completed it or not? I dropped down into the hole after killing the dudes but I dunno...it seems odd? How do you know if you've actually completed it? It's just I seen online there seemed to be a fire guy in there and there was none in mine...?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,281 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm a bit confused, at the Darkdiver area in Shaded Woods and I really don't know if I completed it or not? I dropped down into the hole after killing the dudes but I dunno...it seems odd? How do you know if you've actually completed it? It's just I seen online there seemed to be a fire guy in there and there was none in mine...?
    You just light the huge sconce and fall down a hole at the end bringing you back to the guy in the wheel chair. I think you rank up the covenant by completing 1 area, then 3 areas and then the boss.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You just light the huge sconce and fall down a hole at the end bringing you back to the guy in the wheel chair. I think you rank up the covenant by completing 1 area, then 3 areas and then the boss.

I thought as much but I've done all 3 but talking to the old guy isn't giving me any new dialogue :( How do you access the boss?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,281 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I thought as much but I've done all 3 but talking to the old guy isn't giving me any new dialogue :( How do you access the boss?
    You should have been taken to the boss arena when you went down the hole of the third area you finished (doesn't matter which order). Each time you have to fight him you have to traverse one of the areas first so just go to the easiest one.

You should have been taken to the boss arena when you went down the hole of the third area you finished (doesn't matter which order). Each time you have to fight him you have to traverse one of the areas first so just go to the easiest one.

God dammit, I didn't do one of them right then, ugh, such a waste of effigies :(

God dammit, I didn't do one of them right then, ugh, such a waste of effigies :(

If you run out
    ascetic the bonfire in the tent in brightstone cove there's a chest in the ruined house there with 5 of them
    and it's an easy area. Also a very handy way to get Benharts gear as I said yesterday too!

If you run out
    ascetic the bonfire in the tent in brightstone cove there's a chest in the ruined house there with 5 of them
    and it's an easy area. Also a very handy way to get Benharts gear as I said yesterday too!

Never lit the sconce in the 1st one :( Got it now :D

• Advertisement

GOD DAMMIT. Had Darklurker down to one hit on my 1st attempt :(

GOD DAMMIT. Had Darklurker down to one hit on my 1st attempt :(

It took me two goes, came very close first time too but once he splits you're in trouble if they get distance between them as they'll just one shot you with dark magic. Spam them with firestorm when they start to split if you have it.

It took me two goes, came very close first time too but once he splits you're in trouble if they get distance between them as they'll just one shot you with dark magic. Spam them with firestorm when they start to split if you have it.

What is the reward if you kill him? Also, can you speedrun through it and drop down without killing the phantoms? Had none of my sunlight spears or great lightning spears left, that would have sorted him!

What is the reward if you kill him? Also, can you speedrun through it and drop down without killing the phantoms? Had none of my sunlight spears or great lightning spears left, that would have sorted him!

I'm not sure, I think there might be a fog wall blocking you when it's the boss that's there but worth a try. I seem to remember the Black Gulch one being the easiest to get through, not sure though. There was one where there's only like 3 phantoms in the way
    (not the one with havel and not the one with the turtle chaps and pyromancers).

I think the reward is a hex but can't remember what.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

That was EPIC...
    Started as a deprived, went in blind and refused to look up anything or read this thread :D
    What a game.

NG is actually some ****head. Red phantoms everywhere :v

Edit: I should say that starting as a deprived was mental, I had two broken daggers for hours ha ha. Finally found a shortsword and that broke too. Nightmare but excellent fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Banging my head against the giant rat and the giant spider. Have their attack patterns sussed but they can almost one shot me so any mistakes are punished big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Danonino. wrote: »
    That was EPIC...
    Started as a deprived, went in blind and refused to look up anything or read this thread :D
    What a game.

Edit: I should say that starting as a deprived was mental, I had two broken daggers for hours ha ha. Finally found a shortsword and that broke too. Nightmare but excellent fun.

The Forest of Fallen Giants is some spot when you're two handing a dagger! I found it to be learn to parry or die :O

Did you find it okay when you found the run of it? I'd say I had 3 of the boss souls before I could comfortably dispatch any enemies at all

I thought the matchmaking system changed once you're into NG+ so I stopped leveling at 150. Apparently not though, lately I've been getting destroyed while only taking miniscule amounts of health off people so I asked a guy who beat me there today what level he was. he was 230 ffs while I was still 150. Guess I'll be spending all my souls now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

The Forest of Fallen Giants is some spot when you're two handing a dagger! I found it to be learn to parry or die :O

Did you find it okay when you found the run of it? I'd say I had 3 of the boss souls before I could comfortably dispatch any enemies at all

I found it okay, was surprised at how hard the big knights hit though, I died a lot :D Once I found myself a mace I was laughing untill that shaded woods place, died a lot there too, oh and the gutter was actuall amazing and looking at it now I was there hella early.
    I bought the cat ring and barely scraped surviving the drop way before I should have been down there. Did mean I grabbed the awesome charm shield early though :D

I found it okay, was surprised at how hard the big knights hit though, I died a lot :D Once I found myself a mace I was laughing untill that shaded woods place, died a lot there too, oh and the gutter was actuall amazing and looking at it now I was there hella early.
    I bought the cat ring and barely scraped surviving the drop way before I should have been down there. Did mean I grabbed the awesome charm shield early though :D

I still haven't that ring, missed the Drangleic shield too! Definitely had the blue one you find in the forest against
    Velstalt? Can't spell it :D I was looking for the memories when I stumbled across it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

That was EPIC...
    What a game.

Played blind as a deprived as well. I remember i had a single dagger two handing it R2 spamming. Often had to resort to my Broken Longsword when my dagger was close to breaking. Hardest part of the first play through right there :pac:

Played blind as a deprived as well. I remember i had a single dagger two handing it R2 spamming. Often had to resort to my Broken Longsword when my dagger was close to breaking. Hardest part of the first play through right there :pac:

Once you find a weapon that isn't useless it's so much easier! I had a rapier that I despised, dropped it down the big hole when I finally got upgraded :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I thought the matchmaking system changed once you're into NG+ so I stopped leveling at 150. Apparently not though, lately I've been getting destroyed while only taking miniscule amounts of health off people so I asked a guy who beat me there today what level he was. he was 230 ffs while I was still 150. Guess I'll be spending all my souls now.

Was this during an invasion or a blue? I think the unofficial official SL is 150 for Brotherhood duels. But there is still a schism in the community about it. Some want 150 and others want 120
    Once you find a weapon that isn't useless it's so much easier! I had a rapier that I despised, dropped it down the big hole when I finally got upgraded :D

The Rapier was my first "real" weapon after the dagger. Used it right through the game :D Was my main boss killing weapon

Was this during an invasion or a blue? I think the unofficial official SL is 150 for Brotherhood duels. But there is still a schism in the community about it. Some want 150 and others want 120

I summoned him from a sign on iron keep bridge, think he was a dragon eye covenant member. I'm at 2 minds whether to start leveling again or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Having trouble with the Rapier +4 when it comes to the Gargoyles.

Waiting outside Smelter for summon signs to show up, so I leave my controller down.

R2 gets pushed, and heavy attack makes me fall into lava. ****.

*Edit Idiots! 90% of all co-op partners are absolute tools!

Manslayer katana is a beast, doing much better damage than the black steel and actually winning a few PvP duels with it.

Also finally got my hands on forbidden sun, handy for a tight spot. Summoned a caster for a duel in Iron Keep, they spammed me with great soul arrow and soul geyser straight away, i rolled through everything and one shotted them with it, it was so satisfying.

Had a pretty funny one earlier in the evening too. Summoned a guy in Iron Keep for a duel. At first it seemed normal enough, I got a few blows in on him, he got one or two on me. Then he legged it, healed with a miracle and started throwing every pyromancy he had at me, 2 or 3 fire storms, a few flame swatches and fireballs and whatever else, I managed to avoid all of them. He started chucking lightning spears then and again I avoided them no problem. Then he runs inside the castle, and waits there throwing lightning spears wanting me to come in and aggro the enemies. I used a seed of a tree of giants, he's very quickly knocked down to only a sliver of HP when he gets mobbed, he panics and legs it out towards me and runs straight into my chaos fire storm and that's that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I have killed every enemy until they stopped respawning from madula to huntsmans copse. this has taken a long time but ive had so much fun.

to make more time ive turned to drugs so i dont need sleep happy turtle story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well the effects of the Ring of Life Protection are annoying me now. I'd really like to enjoy the invasion system but the Ring of Life Protection has totally broken the game for me. I'm not using it at all so when I get invaded it's usually by people that have been using it and since it's based on soul memory and not level I can't compete at all. Really frustrating because when I get invaded now I don't stand a chance.

Either that or I'm **** (a very good possibility).

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well the effects of the Ring of Life Protection are annoying me now. I'd really like to enjoy the invasion system but the Ring of Life Protection has totally broken the game for me. I'm not using it at all so when I get invaded it's usually by people that have been using it and since it's based on soul memory and not level I can't compete at all. Really frustrating because when I get invaded now I don't stand a chance.

Either that or I'm **** (a very good possibility).

It doesn't effect your soul memory at all since your soul memory includes every soul you've earned even the ones you lost when you die or spent on weapon upgrades.. I think people who stop levelling a a certain point are getting shafted (myself included) because he system is based on soul memory now.

Advertisement