Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

I'm finding that my build is doing quite well in PvP so i thought I'd post it here:

VGR 40
    END 35
    VIT 30
    ATT 20
    STR 35
    DEX 20
    ADP 20
    INT 10
    FTH 30

And as ye can see, its mainly a strength-based melee build with some miracles. I use the Knights armour set +10, a heide knight helm +10 and the giants ring, the ring of blades, the third dragon ring and the ring of steel protection. Poise seems to be pretty high but despite that my character is ridiculously fast and spongy and deals out a lot of damage.

I use a lightning B-tard Sword +10, a fire Mastodon Greatsword +10 and a +7 raw longbow in the right hand (although occasionally I switch a weapon out to a +10 poison longsword) and the throne defender shield +5, the idols chime +4 and a +10 pyro flame in the other hand.

Spells are lightning spear, poison mist, emit force and flame swathe. Murder, murder, death, death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I still haven't found any decent armor, running around in some utter rubbish ATM.

I still haven't found any decent armor, running around in some utter rubbish ATM.

Knights armour is excellent if you are willing to invest in VIT to get rid of the fat roll. I've been using it since i found it somewhere between no mans wharf and heides tower. Used it for ages in the first game too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Alonne's Captain Armour for life. The pauldrons!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

I may go naked, get 2-3 hit in pvp regardless anyway ¬¬

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    I'm finding that my build is doing quite well in PvP so i thought I'd post it here:

VGR 40
    END 35
    VIT 30
    ATT 20
    STR 35
    DEX 20
    ADP 20
    INT 10
    FTH 30

And as ye can see, its mainly a strength-based melee build with some miracles. I use the Knights armour set +10, a heide knight helm +10 and the giants ring, the ring of blades, the third dragon ring and the ring of steel protection. Poise seems to be pretty high but despite that my character is ridiculously fast and spongy and deals out a lot of damage.

I use a lightning B-tard Sword +10, a fire Mastodon Greatsword +10 and a +7 raw longbow in the right hand (although occasionally I switch a weapon out to a +10 poison longsword) and the throne defender shield +5, the idols chime +4 and a +10 pyro flame in the other hand.

Spells are lightning spear, poison mist, emit force and flame swathe. Murder, murder, death, death.

You might be doing well because you're fighting players who are nearly 100 soul levels lower than your character. A lot of players stop leveling at SL150 so they can duel other players of that level, imagining it'd be similar to how it worked in dark souls.

But because of the soul memory nonsense they're having to duel players that are at a far higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I'm currently rocking the Smelter Demon's Head and the Archdrake Robes and nothing else just because it looks hilarious.

Dark Souls I picked armour purely based on stats. But in DS2 at level 149 I'm finding it not as important and just rocking whatever looks funny :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Alonne's Captain Armour for life. The pauldrons!

Looks great with added katanas :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Throne Defender's armor for me, it looks badass. Blue Sentinel Targray's armor also gets an honorable mention, I think it looks real cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Everyone seems to be saying how good online is, I'm finding it a little bit of a lag fest. Now it could be my end but when there is a good connection its really obvious and it works well.

The fact that I've messaged the last 4 people I've PVP'd with (blue invasion by me and Duels) and they have ALL been over lv230 is annoying as feck. I'm sl148 and spending souls on blue orbs.... think I'll abandon that and start leveling as trying to beat someone that high is bull****.

otherwise game is awesome as always.
    Whats in the chest in the hidden area after you beat the three skinny dudes in the last Bastielle? its the one with the belly flopping zombie beside it thats behind the wall to the left as you come up the stairs. Got rubbish both playthroughs :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I think they made Lucatiel's AI stupid on purpose. So hard to keep alive.

You might be doing well because you're fighting players who are nearly 100 soul levels lower than your character. A lot of players stop leveling at SL150 so they can duel other players of that level, imagining it'd be similar to how it worked in dark souls.

But because of the soul memory nonsense they're having to duel players that are at a far higher level.

My character is only SL 175 or thereabouts. In NG+ now.

I have the tactics down to a tee. My character has enough stamina to get in 4 stun-locking hits. Even after I get these hits in, I have a tiny bit of stamina left so I can roll away (no fat roll, my equipment load is about 65%) to avoid a counterattack and I can recharge my stamina for another round.

My fighting style is crazy though- once I see an opportunity, I become ridiculously scrappy when going toe to toe with someone. But I act really cautiously if the enemy looks business (i.e has a big-ass shield through which I can't hurt him with fire damage). Mainly I just get up in their face and give them no breathing room, plus my character is fast and agile enough to wheel around for backstabs.

One time, I invaded someone in the Shaded Ruins area. I spent ages trying to look for them. But I noticed that all the enemies in the area (the lion-men things) were still alive so I presumed he was near the bonfire. I went over to the bonfire and he wasn't there.

It was then that I realised what a crap place the Shaded Ruins is for invading other people. They can retreat through that giant foggy forest where you can only see two metres in front of you. So, after rolling my eyes twenty times, I decided to comb the forest looking for the little fecker. The thing is, the fog is so dense that I could have easily been ambushed by him- so I went through the area carefully (god I hate that area).

Miraculously I didn't get lost, but I knew that he could have been anywhere in the forest camping in the fog until I was kicked out by the ten minute timer running out.

I found him after about 8 minutes. He was camping near the entrance into the foggy area. He was a weakly armoured mage. I love stun locking those types of players when they are trying to cast magic.

Anyway, I murdered him pretty sharpish. I bowed over his body, of course (because I always do that to players I defeat, even if the fight was short or they behaved like little kids. I hate players who don't play with respect).
    otherwise game is awesome as always. Spoiler: Whats in the chest in the hidden area after you beat the three skinny dudes in the last Bastielle? its the one with the belly flopping zombie beside it thats behind the wall to the left as you come up the stairs. Got rubbish both playthroughs :(

Dunno if this applies to you but DON'T SMASH THE CHESTS! Same thing happened to me. I was so afraid of murderbeasts and traps after playing the first game that I just went and smashed every wooden chest I came across. After about 20 chests I began to realise they were giving me rubbish by virtue of the fact I was breaking them...no wonder I had a shortage of human effigies....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Dunno if this applies to you but DON'T SMASH THE CHESTS! Same thing happened to me. I was so afraid of murderbeasts and traps after playing the first game that I just went and smashed every wooden chest I came across. After about 20 chests I began to realise they were giving me rubbish by virtue of the fact I was breaking them...no wonder I had a shortage of human effigies....
    I did that too. Had no idea.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,281 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I think they made Lucatiel's AI stupid on purpose. So hard to keep alive.

Apparently the patch will make her tougher.
    Cydoniac wrote: »
    I did that too. Had no idea.

Why were ye hitting the chest so much? :D One hit won't damage it and you know it's not a mimic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Apparently the patch will make her tougher.

Hopefully she learns to stop using her face as a shield and stop falling off ledges

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Well powerstance daggers sucks. I do more damage 2 handing my dagger than i do with powerstance and it costs less stamina also. Only good thing i can see is maybe making both the daggers bleed or poison and try to stack it fast for pvp. Outclassed by the dual Cestus that has A/B scaling before any ascensions and a moveset just as fast...

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Why were ye hitting the chest so much? :D One hit won't damage it and you know it's not a mimic.

To avoid any mendacious traps that may be lurking inside. That damn crossbow trap in No Man's Wharf embedded this mindset in my brain, along with the many inexplicable bloodstains surrounding innocent-looking chests in places like the Lost Bastille.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Had no idea the first playthrough, now in NG and I do but the damn zombie got a dive off and blew the chest up, so I have no idea whats in it :D

To avoid any mendacious traps that may be lurking inside. That damn crossbow trap in No Man's Wharf embedded this mindset in my brain, along with the many inexplicable bloodstains surrounding innocent-looking chests in places like the Lost Bastille.

On that note, I love the macabre voyeurism of checking a bloodstain, especially when the poor soul who died slipped to his death off a cliff. The ones I especially love are those guys who look like their idle but then they roll or run straight ahead off a cliff, like their controller fell over and hit the B button while they were afc. They seem to be everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

On that note, I love the macabre voyeurism of checking a bloodstain, especially when the poor soul who died slipped to his death off a cliff. The ones I especially love are those guys who look like their idle but then they roll or run straight ahead off a cliff, like their controller fell over and hit the B button while they were afc. They seem to be everywhere.

The lemmings on the way to the throne of want leaping to their death

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Right now I am hating the
    Lost Sinner
    Boss.
    Yes, I have
    the torches lit
    but I am a Sorcerer with low AGL & DEX; high INT, FAI, ATN - barely get 2 hits in and she destroys me. Ah well will keep plugging away clearing the area before I give her a few more shots and may end up calling
    in the NPC to
    help.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

Taltos wrote: »
    Lost Sinner
    Boss.
    Yes, I have
    the torches lit
    but I am a Sorcerer with low AGL & DEX; high INT, FAI, ATN - barely get 2 hits in and she destroys me. Ah well will keep plugging away clearing the area before I give her a few more shots and may end up calling
    in the NPC to
    help.

I did that as a Sorcerer and she kept dodging my spells, so I killed her with my Fire Longsword. Nip at her and don't get greedy, as you'll need the stamina in reserve to block or roll. A 100% physical shield (e.g. the one sold by McDuff) helps a lot with the blocking! Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Taltos wrote: »
    Lost Sinner
    Boss.
    Yes, I have
    the torches lit
    in the NPC to
    help.

She was the last of the Old Ones I fought as a Sorcerer, and I couldn't hit her either. If you get a melee co-op partner to tank and absorb her hits you should be able to hit her regularly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I noticed that in the Throne of Want actually, an insane amount of bloodstains of people jumping off the sides?!? Any reason why??

Was duelling as a Blue Sentinel on Tuesday eve using the statues near the Blue Cathedral bonfire. Got only about 6 victories out of twenty. It's crazy how I seem to be getting matched up with people who are approx 100 soul levels ahead of me. I was smashing the **** out of one guy with my Zwei and I only took about a third of his health, he seemed to have about triple the amount of energy I had. Also I really need to improve my casting speed to give myself more of a chance. Time to pump lotsa souls into attunement for this. Is there a ring or any piece of equipment that could help improve casting speed?

Was duelling as a Blue Sentinel on Tuesday eve using the statues near the Blue Cathedral bonfire. Got only about 6 victories out of twenty. It's crazy how I seem to be getting matched up with people who are approx 100 soul levels ahead of me. I was smashing the **** out of one guy with my Zwei and I only took about a third of his health, he seemed to have about triple the amount of energy I had. Also I really need to improve my casting speed to give myself more of a chance. Time to pump lotsa souls into attunement for this. Is there a ring or any piece of equipment that could help improve casting speed?
    Blue Clearstone Ring I think it's called, you get the +2 version for beating the Skeleton Lords on NG+, I improves casting speed by 55% according to fextralife.com, mine went up by 120% though

• Registered Users Posts: 20,603 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I know they changed the invasion to reflect the number of souls gathered instead of soul level to stop the people who managed to gather red eye orb on SL1 and invade and destroy low level players on dark souls 1.

i have not done much PvP , but i did try a few duels for the laugh at the blue cathedral. I was about soul level 45 and ended up getting 1 hitted by some magic whip type spell ?? the other lad said you get it near the end of the game.
    That was the end of my dueling for a while !!

They can surely have a SL cap on areas like this, leaving it up to the players to police this themselves will not work. there are far too many trolls !!
    At least on dark souls 1 you are going to be up against similar players, SL wise anyway.

Blue Clearstone Ring I think it's called, you get the +2 version for beating the Skeleton Lords on NG+, I improves casting speed by 55% according to fextralife.com, mine went up by 120% though

Nice one thanks:) this should help me quite a bit. I'm just using the standard Cleric's Sacred chime (at +7 and infused with Lightning) also as it seems to be the fastest casting chime I have atm.

Nice one thanks:) this should help me quite a bit. I'm just using the standard Cleric's Sacred chime (at +7 and infused with Lightning) also as it seems to be the fastest casting chime I have atm.

The Lion Mage set in the Shaded Woods improves casting time too, by 5% each item. Can you tell me what percentage yours goes up by with the ring equipped? (what it goes up by/original, multiplied by 100)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,281 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Doesn't the hood from Straid's armour set speed up casting speed too? He gives it to you after you trade a few boss souls with him.

Advertisement