Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Cydoniac wrote: »
    None of the bosses even compare to Manus, still has the title of hardest boss I reckon. Terrified to fight him on my NG+ save...

I did him on NG++ just before DS2 came out, needed help though. Him and Khalameet were the toughest. Artorias was the best one though, easier than the other two but definitely more enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

0lsHkGPl.jpg

All primed for Looking Glass Squire invade :)

(if you don't know about it, try leaving a red soapstone outside the boss fight... ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Kirby wrote: »
    Really? Most people agree that the ancient dragon and darklurker are quite tough.

Did not know about this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

I don't think I like this as much as Dark Souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I have to say I'm enjoying it a lot more then DS1 but I can't quite place my finger on why. I think it could be cos I'm doing co-op in this one.

Was flying through the game with my dual wield caestus build, got to Iron Keep within 5 hours, but majorly stuck here now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I like it a lot but it has a completely different feel to dark saouls. Its all a little more fantastical instead of dark. I think the fact you can warp to any bonfire instantly takes a lot from the game too, it dosnt force you to become as familiar with the areas as in dark souls. In dark souls you had to trapse back and forth, learning each area like the back of your hand. In 2 you see a lot of areas once and thats it untill NG. Dark Souls was a masterpiece imho, and for this to even come close again is pretty awesome. Why isnt the cleric armour from 1 in though, I miss that awesome set.

Also the whole soul memory thing is bannanas. I had a big waffle here but I cut it, in short, (he he)as far as I'm concerned soul memory isnt working and needs a rethink.

Edit: oooooohhh that mirror knight summoning sounds awesome. Like the monk (iirc) in demons :D

Lucateils summon isn't showing in Sinners Rise?? Anyone have an explanation??

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Did you exhaust all her dialogue?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Did you exhaust all her dialogue?

Almost certain I did, where is the last place you see her? Her summon is showing up for Smeltor.

Almost certain I did, where is the last place you see her? Her summon is showing up for Smeltor.

I had her show up for Lost Sinner just from talking to her in Lost Bastille, the other places she shows up are No Man's Wharf, Black Gulch and Earthen Peak just after Covetous Demon.

The Rotten is probably the easiest boss to keep her alive with, I asceticed the bonfire there a few times last night to get my three boss fights with her.

• Advertisement

I had her show up for Lost Sinner just from talking to her in Lost Bastille, the other places she shows up are No Man's Wharf, Black Gulch and Earthen Peak just after Covetous Demon.

The Rotten is probably the easiest boss to keep her alive with, I asceticed the bonfire there a few times last night to get my three boss fights with her.

Summoned her for the Flexile Sentry so must have exhausted her dialogue, she isn't in the Lost Bastille so must have exhausted her dialogue there too...could it be cause I summoned her for Smeltor but didn't kill him so she is staying there?

Summoned her for the Flexile Sentry so must have exhausted her dialogue, she isn't in the Lost Bastille so must have exhausted her dialogue there too...could it be cause I summoned her for Smeltor but didn't kill him so she is staying there?

It's possible, maybe you have to do the bosses in a certain sequence? I'm not sure.

It's possible, maybe you have to do the bosses in a certain sequence? I'm not sure.

Gah, cheers. She is such a pain! Although she can tank damage like a boss now!

Gah, cheers. She is such a pain! Although she can tank damage like a boss now!

Yeah, she's still dumb as hell but at least she can take a hit now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Where you cursed?> Had this happen me a few times before i spotted why I wasn't seeing summon signs.

I am so confused, have beaten Flexile and Smeltor with Lucateil but she will just not show up in Black Gulch or Sinner's rise :( Whyyyyyy Lucateil!!!!!

Edit - Just realised I never talked to her in Black Gulch, my bad :( Where do you find her there?

Found her :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

calex71 wrote: »
    Agree there, even the regular enemies didn't seem nearly as varied either did they? I know there were many types in DS2 but few that stand out, and certainly few if any moments like in DS1 where you round a corner and there is a black or silver knight blocking you etc. and it's ages since the last bonfire.

NG+ is executed better in DS2 however, much much better!!!!!!

I noticed that there were far fewer enemies with grab attacks in DS2 than there were in DS1.
    Why isnt the cleric armour from 1 in though, I miss that awesome set

My character in the first one used the Black Iron set with the gold-hemmed hood, kind of like a warrior Ringwraith. Both of those sets aren't in this game so I'm pretty disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Ah, just remember ENB and Vaati just have theories.

ENB spent the last while living in Japan working for From on the official guide. I suspect his insight in to things is probably pretty much on the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

ENB spent the last while living in Japan working for From on the official guide. I suspect his insight in to things is probably pretty much on the money.

I still think a lot of the lore is open to interpretation, I don't like how a lot of people take what they say as the truth. I don't think ENB knows a huge deal more about the storylines than we do despite helping with the guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Danonino. wrote: »
    I like it a lot but it has a completely different feel to dark saouls. Its all a little more fantastical instead of dark. I think the fact you can warp to any bonfire instantly takes a lot from the game too, it dosnt force you to become as familiar with the areas as in dark souls. In dark souls you had to trapse back and forth, learning each area like the back of your hand. In 2 you see a lot of areas once and thats it untill NG. Dark Souls was a masterpiece imho, and for this to even come close again is pretty awesome. Why isnt the cleric armour from 1 in though, I miss that awesome set.

Also the whole soul memory thing is bannanas. I had a big waffle here but I cut it, in short, (he he)as far as I'm concerned soul memory isnt working and needs a rethink.

Edit: oooooohhh that mirror knight summoning sounds awesome. Like the monk (iirc) in demons :D

Agree, remembering the best routes to and from places while the shortcuts opened up was brilliant in DS1, there's hardly any of that in 2 since it's all brached off and a lot of areas are completely unconnected. I started NG+ on 2 and am actuually more tempted to go back and play DS1 instead. I found it a much tighter game, not that 2 doesn't improve on some stuff, it definitely does, but things like not being able to level up at bonfires bar the one in Majula was a negative imo

• Advertisement

Yeah or even do what they did in Dark souls and not allow you to warp unill later, maybe Dragliec castle. Christ the Belfry Gargoyles are hard solo... had them down to alost nothing twice and ran out of flasks.

I noticed a lot of the armour sets from 1 are missing, I understand boss armour and like but I was looking forward to finaly wearing that leather Thorulund set that Petrus was wearing, I wonder if there is DLC on the way with more included? that would be delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Are there too many bonfires? There are no real gauntlets between fires like in the 1st game are there? Thats also down to the enemies too though I think.

calex71 wrote: »
    Are there too many bonfires? There are no real gauntlets between fires like in the 1st game are there? Thats also down to the enemies too though I think.

Definitely, like remember in Anor Londo, getting from the first one to the one where Solair sits, that was a challenge, between the painting guardians, two gargoyles, a rake of knights, the archer knights etc. you felt an accomplishment getting there first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

That secret bonfire in
    drangleic castle

Never would have found it if not for a message on the ground.

Thats maybe why the areas arn't as memorable, you not taking as much time getting from bonfire to bonfire. In saying that, maybe thats what they wanted, I mean I know two people personally who stopped playing at Anor Londo due to it being "bull**** hard" and another gave up when he couldnt find the bonfire in Sens. I personaly loved that searching and stuff. It feels like they cut a bonfire shortcut out of the
    huntsmans corpse
    ( or however you spell that) Awhere the bridge leads to the Purgatory, it really feels like there should be a kickable ladder or something, it all lines up too well.

Little whinge:
    Man this whole Soul memory thing is starting to get to me, I just PVP'd a guy who was terrible, I sheild broke him twice and riposted him for a grand total of 202 damage each time... then got two backstabs at 150 each. He spammed R2 with a haleberd and finally got lucky and caught me taking over half of my life with each hit. He hit me twice.. I raged. I don't remember getting matched up this badly this often in Demons or Dark, its pretty lame. Good practice though.

Got myself a chime so can use great lighning, it goes through most bosses like nobody's business, got the ruin sentinels on my first attempt on NG+, would have got the gargoyles too but I mistimed a roll and got battered. really need to get a soul vessel soon I put a stupid amount of souls into INT but dont need it, will take them out and stick them back into VIT and DEX again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

krudler wrote: »
    Definitely, like remember in Anor Londo, getting from the first one to the one where Solair sits, that was a challenge, between the painting guardians, two gargoyles, a rake of knights, the archer knights etc. you felt an accomplishment getting there first time.

Oh god....I remember the tensions of having to walk across the rafters inside the cathedral.....it must have taken me ten minutes to get across that bloody area.
    Little whinge:
    Man this whole Soul memory thing is starting to get to me, I just PVP'd a guy who was terrible, I sheild broke him twice and riposted him for a grand total of 202 damage each time... then got two backstabs at 150 each. He spammed R2 with a haleberd and finally got lucky and caught me taking over half of my life with each hit. He hit me twice.. I raged. I don't remember getting matched up this badly this often in Demons or Dark, its pretty lame. Good practice though.

I know how you feel. I was sparring in the Cathedral of Blue arena and I was hit by that dark magic homing soulmass-type spell. I rolled out of the way but the soulmass lagged and literally turned on a dime and took 90% (!) of my health out. I am LVL 216 and I have 50 VIT!

Plus, weapon range is really glitchy. I always get hit far out of the apparent range of the weapon. I once got hit by a shortsword at a range where even a lance would be hard pressed to hit me.

And, I agree with a previous post that poise is broken. I have 71 poise and a simple broadsword slash stuns me easily. And yes, more complaining: the block breaking move (Left stick forward and attack button at the same time) is OP. Its like a really strong parry that can flinch you for ages through your shield, even with high poise. I mean hell, I've invested so much in poise- I have a ring of the giants, heavy armour and medium-level ADP and yet I still get stunned by a glorified dagger....unbelievable.

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    Oh god....I remember the tensions of having to walk across the rafters inside the cathedral.....it must have taken me ten minutes to get across that bloody area.

Especially if you're summoned, don't screw up don't screw up..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

As disappointing as it is to say, i just haven't enjoyed it anywhere near as much as Dark Souls or Demon's Souls. I'm not sure why, as i was sure i was going to love it. But there's just something stopping me from really getting stuck in. Maybe i burned myself out on Dark Souls, after playing it so much, but the ratio of frustration/joy that made Dark Souls so enjoyable, just seems off in this. It's also nowhere near as tight as Dark Souls was.

I'll definitely give it a go, probably once it's released on the pc, and will hopefully enjoy it again. Would be a shame if i don't though...it's Dark Souls after all :(

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    As disappointing as it is to say, i just haven't enjoyed it anywhere near as much as Dark Souls or Demon's Souls. I'm not sure why, as i was sure i was going to love it. But there's just something stopping me from really getting stuck in. Maybe i burned myself out on Dark Souls, after playing it so much, but the ratio of frustration/joy that made Dark Souls so enjoyable, just seems off in this. It's also nowhere near as tight as Dark Souls was.

I'll definitely give it a go, probably once it's released on the pc, and will hopefully enjoy it again. Would be a shame if i don't though...it's Dark Souls after all :(

Same, maybe it's because I was playing Dark Souls right up until a few days before 2 came out so the sense of discovery was gone. It's not a bad game, far far from it it's actually excellent, I just enjoyed the first one more is all. The overall atmosphere of the game felt more coherent to me, I didn't get the same sense of, well, darkness in the new game.

Advertisement