Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ornstein in DS1 and 2 was just an illusion. Pretty sure the real Ornstein was consumed by the abyss.

I dunno, seems too convenient of an explanation, the two of them seemed pretty real to me.

Smough definitely died of diabeetus though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Maybe not but it seems to be the case of a lot of people looking at all the positives of DS1 and all the negatives of DS2 and concluding that DS1 is the better game.

That may not be the case but it is clear that each game has its strengths and weaknesses but I think that they match up evenly enough.

Both games have good and bad areas, good and bad bosses etc.

I can't speak on behalf of the soundtrack as honestly I don't really pay attention to that and couldn't hum the tune of any song in either DS1 or DS2, bar that damn tune in Majula!!haha

I think nostalgia towards DS1 could also be a factor. I know I'm defending DS2 a lot here but I'm not actually sure which game I prefer yet. I think it'll be a few months before it becomes clear which game is the winner, depends if DS2 can stand the test of time like DS1 did.

As an aside, duel wielding Caestus build is insanely powerful, A scaling with STR and DEX and the L1 and L2 attacks are just epic. They poise break everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Maybe not but it seems to be the case of a lot of people looking at all the positives of DS1 and all the negatives of DS2 and concluding that DS1 is the better game.

That may not be the case but it is clear that each game has its strengths and weaknesses but I think that they match up evenly enough.

Both games have good and bad areas, good and bad bosses etc.

I can't speak on behalf of the soundtrack as honestly I don't really pay attention to that and couldn't hum the tune of any song in either DS1 or DS2, bar that damn tune in Majula!!haha

I think nostalgia towards DS1 could also be a factor. I know I'm defending DS2 a lot here but I'm not actually sure which game I prefer yet. I think it'll be a few months before it becomes clear which game is the winner, depends if DS2 can stand the test of time like DS1 did.

As an aside, duel wielding Caestus build is insanely powerful, A scaling with STR and DEX and the L1 and L2 attacks are just epic. They poise break everything.

I had a good hard think about it and It is certainly not the case , anyone would be foolish to simply dislike Dark souls 2 but to me at least , I cannot comment towards anyone else but Dark Souls 1 is a damn near Masterpiece throwing nostalgia out the window.

Dark Souls 2 is a damn fine game but it had the foundation built with dark souls and to be honest I did not honestly expect the new directors and designers to be brave and add some pretty interesting things to a game people would literally go down your throats if you messed up on and got universal praise from both fans and critics.

But it still has to be said Dark souls 1 again to me is just a better game in near every way but not for what dark souls 2 is but for me personally.

Ds1 felt more personal and when I walk step out of the prison cell and make my way to firelink shrine from Anor to New londo , from blighttown to the woods I step in wonder and see its detail , Not Nostalgia but I do not feel that with ds2.

I cannot help but feel that DS1 level design and art was met with love and meaning and Ds2 is clustered and broken and not perfectly met with that understanding.

Where the spider lays in ds2 there is a perfect example I can give to where enemies are just thrown about and just spam magic. then when you head down its so small and clustered and on top of this there is a stupid placement of quicksand thats up against a wall and so needlessly there IMO. then you fight the boss and only of possibly 3 places I can think of I actually loved and the only place that made me go woah when you see the dragon tied up in the web. then you make your way across then all of a sudden you see a library ? what the **** is a Library doing there out of all places.

Maybe I never understand how these places actually looked like before spiders took over but between what looked like a civil minors places with cheap looking houses then a library that looked like belonged in the castle in the game it seems to be all over the place.

Again I have to stress I loved Dark Souls 2 and bet both Ds1 and Ds2 now twice but I know I can go back the Likes of anor Londo and it will always just blow me away , even make my way to the woods and look out in the distance and see the castle and go wow.

Ds2 does not capture that feeling. It sure as hell give you loads of quality content , but in exchange for less memorable moments .

You do make some good points in fairness.

In relation to the whole fighting Freja and the spiders and then suddenly you're in a library, that is explained in the lore.

I can't quite remember but that guy in the Library is Lord Tseldora or maybe it's Duke Tseldora...but anyway he was like the head guy of Brightstone but the more they mined he became obsessed with the spiders, or something like that and moved down below the ground.

Something like that, as I said, I can't really recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/16/dark-souls-2-4k-screenshots/

This has got me super pumped for the PC release :pac: Went and pre-ordered after going through the gallery.

• Advertisement

Oooh, speaking to Alvina after you collect the 4 great souls gives a lot of lore.

Also seems to be a tonne of Nito and Seath lore in DS2 which is badass!!

Anyone think the Undead Asylum and the Bastille could be the same place?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Shield Break followed by a Soul Spear absolutely kicks ass online. You see guys in a full Havels set and I'm half naked there, destroy them. Although sorcery seems ridiculously overpowered for PvP

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Anyone think the Undead Asylum and the Bastille could be the same place?

What Straid says had me suspecting that.
    Shield Break followed by a Soul Spear absolutely kicks ass online. You see guys in a full Havels set and I'm half naked there, destroy them. Although sorcery seems ridiculously overpowered for PvP

Magic is OP alright, but on it's own it's not as bad as mages with full Havel's and Duel Avelyn's as back up.

Mickeroo wrote: »

Magic is OP alright, but on it's own it's not as bad as mages with full Havel's and Duel Avelyn's as back up.

Alvina talks about how a group of people use to round up undead and send them away to a prison, and I was like oh that has to be Undead Asylum and the Way of White. She then calls it a bastille so I'm thinking, same place?

It's also interesting that you get transported to both areas by a crow.

I'm trying not to turn into a dick with it, pure sorcery, I have more of a life than to level up enough for full Havels anyways :D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Alvina talks about how a group of people use to round up undead and send them away to a prison, and I was like oh that has to be Undead Asylum and the Way of White. She then calls it a bastille so I'm thinking, same place?

It's also interesting that you get transported to both areas by a crow.

It's definitely the Bastille she's on about, go listen to all of Straid's dialogue, he specifically says they used to send the undead there in his time.
    I'm trying not to turn into a dick with it, pure sorcery, I have more of a life than to level up enough for full Havels anyways :D

Not only leveled up enough to use full Havels but use it without a fat roll with all the high level sorceries. Soul memory is such bull, which is a shame as I think the PvP is the best thing about the game.

Not only leveled up enough to use full Havels but use it without a fat roll with all the high level sorceries. Soul memory is such bull, which is a shame as I think the PvP is the best thing about the game.

Yeah I've seen people here talking about how they were caught out badly, I think the SL gradient needs to be brought back for NG+. I'd say From will reinforce it when they see the way people are abusing it. I hope they do anyways, the PvP is brilliant

A OneBro could meet someone at level 800 ffs this way

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

How much strength do you even need for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Need a little help, I'm trying to kill the Boss in Belfry Luna. Pain in my hole at this stage. I'm a level 50 Knight on PS3.
    Can someone help please?

weiland79 wrote: »
    Need a little help, I'm trying to kill the Boss in Belfry Luna. Pain in my hole at this stage. I'm a level 50 Knight on PS3.
    Can someone help please?

I'd suggest skip it and come back around Level 70 or so, try taking it out before you take on the Lost Sinner.

I'd suggest skip it and come back around Level 70 or so, try taking it out before you take on the Lost Sinner.
    I'm trying to kill them to help with the Sinners rise boss

Can someone help please?
    It's quite hard to do solo. If you can get 2 other people to co-op it is much easier.

Otherwise, you need to take your time with the fight. There won't be more than 3-4 of them at any given time so you just need to bait them in a way that they all do their move kind of at the same time, or one of them flies off in a different direction. Bring as much estus, lifegems, divine blessings as possible. I had 12 estus the first time I did it solo on NG+ and still used them all up. Best physical defense and cloranthy ring a must. The hardest part is just dealing with so many of them at the same time. You really have to take your time until the window opens for you to attack safely. Try to focus on one of them so you can get rid of it faster.

If you have pyro, now would be a good time to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I'm trying to kill them to help with the Sinners rise boss

If your having trouble just leave it for the moment and go to another area. That's the beauty of this game your not forced down a certain path.....until your forced down it :p:p:p

There are 3 other areas you can explore, one of them needing a certain item to unlock...

Can someone help please?

Lightning weapons are your friend, or summon two other people if someone has great lightning miracles you're sorted.

I've been farming souls in Heides Tower
    killing time between invading Belfry Luna to farm chunks but all the sentinels are now dead. I remember reading something about a spell you can use to bring them all back?

• Advertisement

If you have a strong enough weapon and poise if you rush the 1st gargoyle you can kill him with one flurry if attacks asking as your poise doesn't get broken, you will probably only get hit once.

I managed to do that with the 1st two which set up the rest of the fight easy enough.

That was with dual wielded caestus though which own everything :D

krudler wrote: »
    Lightning weapons are your friend, or summon two other people if someone has great lightning miracles you're sorted.

The problem with trying to summon people in this area is that i keep getting invaded and more often than not, killed.

The problem with trying to summon people in this area is that i keep getting invaded and more often than not, killed.

It's an invasion hotspot yeah, at lvl50 it's a pretty tough area so maybe come back later. Or if you want some lulz, if you have any Silver Talismans in your inventory keep one handy and if you get invaded use one as it changes you into a background item like a barrell or a sconce, it's funny watching people look for you as you're sitting there and you can move around in barrel form :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

It's an invasion hotspot yeah, at lvl50 it's a pretty tough area so maybe come back later. Or if you want some lulz, if you have any Silver Talismans in your inventory keep one handy and if you get invaded use one as it changes you into a background item like a barrell or a sconce, it's funny watching people look for you as you're sitting there and you can move around in barrel form :pac:
    Best craic. So happy you don't need a spell anymore. Sens fortress as a statue with force was trolltastic but needed int and faith investment. There are loads of places in 2 that could be so good for this milarky and no stats needed. Wonder what you change into in that area with the sirens and all the mages. Wuh ha ha

Danonino. wrote: »
    Best craic. So happy you don't need a spell anymore. Sens fortress as a statue with force was trolltastic but needed int and faith investment. There are loads of places in 2 that could be so good for this milarky and no stats needed. Wonder what you change into in that area with the sirens and all the mages. Wuh ha ha

Funnily enough you change into
    a giant mushroom with a face
    stands out a mile :D

I've been farming souls in Heides Tower
    killing time between invading Belfry Luna to farm chunks but all the sentinels are now dead. I remember reading something about a spell you can use to bring them all back?
    Burn a bonfire ascetic. This makes the area harder though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Burn a bonfire ascetic. This makes the area harder though.

Also remember that this will not reset in NG+ so that area will be NG++ on the next play through, worth keeping in mind if there is a boss in that area.

Ascetics are very handy for farming certain items. There's 2 petrified dragon bone's easily accessible from the first bonfire in Aldia's keep and every enemy in the area is pretty much optional so it doesn't really mess you up on later play throughs.

Danonino. wrote: »

I genuinely had no idea you could do that in DS1 as well

• Advertisement

I genuinely had no idea you could do that in DS1 as well
    Yep, I believe it's the Chameleon spell, same as in DS2.

DS1 has a ton of spells that people missed out on or just never used to full ability. Karmic Justice is like a supercharged version of the Sun Ring that's in DS2 that gives you an explosion when you take damage.

Advertisement