Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

What's the point of using the regular White Soapstone in that case? Surely a Smooth stone is better than a Token of Fidelity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Kiith wrote: »
    What's the point of using the regular White Soapstone in that case? Surely a Smooth stone is better than a Token of Fidelity?
    If you're a shade you can only be around for a limited period of time/kills I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Small white soapstone gives smooth and silky stones as a reward, normal soapstone gives token of fidelity. Both restore humanity. estus and spell uses if successful :) as far as I know anyway.
    I missed the small white soapstone completely on my first play through and had no idea how it worked.
    It's upstairs in the room with the traveling merchant woman. Think its the second bonfire in forest of fallen giants. You can smash the door to get in.. I had no idea and never returned with a key.

EDIT: woops never refreshed. Late reply :/
    I think full white stones are for guaranteed souls from boss kills and fidelity for the way of blue. Using small white stone is more a way to replenish your magic and estus :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ah, so you get no souls from a boss if you use the small white soapstone?

Kiith wrote: »
    Ah, so you get no souls from a boss if you use the small white soapstone?

No you do, but you might be sent home before the boss is defeated. The large soapstone you are in the summoners world until either you, him or the boss has died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Danonino. wrote: »
    No you do, but you might be sent home before the boss is defeated. The large soapstone you are in the summoners world until either you, him or the boss has died.

There's a timer on the large one too, I've had to leave in the middle of boss battles before

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

There's a timer on the large one too, I've had to leave in the middle of boss battles before

Happened me to on the sinner. Me mate was kicked and i had to finish her off on me own.

No way. Does it say duty fulfilled or does it count as a fail? Do you still get a token of fidelity?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No way. Does it say duty fulfilled or does it count as a fail? Do you still get a token of fidelity?

It counts as duty fulfilled so you still get the token.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Anyone know which weapons i should be going for, on a faith based paladin build. I found a guy who trades some nice weapons for boss souls but none of them seem to be good for a faith build, maybe im wrong im not sure. At the moment i have a fiery long sword +5 and hedge knight sword +5.

• Advertisement

Hmm wonder if there's s timer on invasions... Like could you outwait a bluebro or something. Interesting stuff

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hmm wonder if there's s timer on invasions... Like could you outwait a bluebro or something. Interesting stuff

AFAIK there is yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Anyone know which weapons i should be going for, on a faith based paladin build. I found a guy who trades some nice weapons for boss souls but none of them seem to be good for a faith build, maybe im wrong im not sure. At the moment i have a fiery long sword +5 and hedge knight sword +5.

Aparantly the
    Crypt Blacksword, Trade Old Dead One Soul (The Rotten NG+) Use an ascetic ;) I think you trade it with Ornifex. Kicks ass with a faith build and Dark infusion, you can 2 hand it with 20 strength. Don't know about alternatives if you need a shield though

Starting to lose patience with the game now. Some evenings the PvP is up there with the most enjoyable gaming experiences I've ever had, but for every decent duel there must be ten where it's the most unbalanced cheap piece of **** I've ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

The Rat covenant is the tits and i also look like the rat king from the teenage mutant ninja turtles lol

7xfq.jpg

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Starting to lose patience with the game now. Some evenings the PvP is up there with the most enjoyable gaming experiences I've ever had, but for every decent duel there must be ten where it's the most unbalanced cheap piece of **** I've ever played.

Thats the thing, when it works, it works so well. There is hope in future patches. :D

Random thoughts:
    Playing through again and its amazing how many areas you pass through only once, I know I keep saying that but I'm convinced that's why it doesn't sit with you as much as 1 when you finish. You kill the first boss, who like many of the games bosss are at a dead end and can homeward bone back to the fire in fallen giants. Then warp back to majula to complete safety thats a hub of merchants. Compared to DS1 that is a huge shortcut and they are everywhere in Souls 2.

In DS1 you beat the Tarus Demon and reached the bridge, you were terrified to cross incase you lost souls (and you probably did), even if you did homeward back to the bonfire you had a heck of a distance to travel back to where you were. When you finally found the shortcut ladder it was sweet relief. By then all of the Burg was etched in your mind. Same with a lot of the areas, you would reach a point where you thought 'oh man, I got a lot of souls and I'm running out of estus maybe I should head back... but there has to be a bonfire somewhere.'

In 2 once you find a bonfire you are well and truly safe and they are pretty frequent. There is no 'urgh I should keep some souls for the blacksmith' because you can warp straight there. Take the blacksmiths in DS1, to get to them you needed to risk your souls, it added an extra layer of risk but also made you familiar with the areas. Even Andre was a trek until you got the lordvessel. Man what a game :v

Anywayyeah, I don't think I have a point after all that, I guess I'm saying the game was a great experience but it lost some of its charm in making travelling and keeping souls a lot safer. Still it is a fantastic game. With some minor changes could have been better that DS1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Thats the thing, when it works, it works so well. There is hope in future patches. :D

Random thoughts:
    Playing through again and its amazing how many areas you pass through only once, I know I keep saying that but I'm convinced that's why it doesn't sit with you as much as 1 when you finish. You kill the first boss, who like many of the games bosss are at a dead end and can homeward bone back to the fire in fallen giants. Then warp back to majula to complete safety thats a hub of merchants. Compared to DS1 that is a huge shortcut and they are everywhere in Souls 2.

In DS1 you beat the Tarus Demon and reached the bridge, you were terrified to cross incase you lost souls (and you probably did), even if you did homeward back to the bonfire you had a heck of a distance to travel back to where you were. When you finally found the shortcut ladder it was sweet relief. By then all of the Burg was etched in your mind. Same with a lot of the areas, you would reach a point where you thought 'oh man, I got a lot of souls and I'm running out of estus maybe I should head back... but there has to be a bonfire somewhere.'

In 2 once you find a bonfire you are well and truly safe and they are pretty frequent. There is no 'urgh I should keep some souls for the blacksmith' because you can warp straight there. Take the blacksmiths in DS1, to get to them you needed to risk your souls, it added an extra layer of risk but also made you familiar with the areas. Even Andre was a trek until you got the lordvessel. Man what a game :v

Anywayyeah, I don't think I have a point after all that, I guess I'm saying the game was a great experience but it lost some of its charm in making travelling and keeping souls a lot safer. Still it is a fantastic game. With some minor changes could have been better that DS1.

So far this is my favourite thing about this game. DS1 was far more infuriating for the reasons you have outlined

Well there you go, I guess the design decisions worked for some :D I could be a sucker for punishment is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I wouldn't be a hardcore fan though. I gave up on Dark Souls 1 because it pissed me off so much

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

Lone Stone wrote: »

Depends on what part of the game you are and your stats. Lightning infused murakamo is great for mid-game. Lightning Defender Greatsword is great endgame. Other weapons should include the Raw Avelyn and Lightning Priest's Chime, and Dark Transgressor's Shield with whatever greatshield you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Depends on what part of the game you are and your stats. Lightning infused murakamo is great for mid-game. Lightning Defender Greatsword is great endgame. Other weapons should include the Raw Avelyn and Lightning Priest's Chime, and Dark Transgressor's Shield with whatever greatshield you like.

I've a quality faith build and use pretty much everything you mentioned although my fave weapon is my +10 Lightning Bastard Sword. Buffed with Sunlight Blade it's a beast. I'm finally starting to have success in PvP thanks to it. My Raw Avelyn has saved my skin on more than one occasion and it's brill against those infernal Lion Warriors in the Shaded Woods.

What are people's favourite weapons in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

+10 Lightning Bastard Sword. Buffed with Sunlight Blade it's a beast.

Can you buff infused weapons?

I still love my mega-staggering Large Club :P but am starting to use the Black Knight Ultra Greatsword more due to its thrusting strong attack. Lightning Claymore when faster attacks are required.

penev10 wrote: »
    Can you buff infused weapons?

Only with spells, not resins.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

I use my strength build mostly for PvP, as it's the most adaptable.

Mastodon Halberd for poking and spinning into people
    Sun Sword for quick slashes and stunlocking people with big weapons and low poise
    Raw Avelyn for punishing people for thinking I've no range
    Pyro Flame for lighting my weapons on fire and putting up a smoke screen of Toxic Mist or Acid Mist to shoot Avelyn through
    Magic Havel's Shield to tank magic spammers while I advance on them, and you'd be surprised at how effective 2-handing it and smashing turtles is.
    Dark Transgressor's Leather Shield to tank hexes and parry.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Taking a break for a while. Totally frustrated with Vendrick.
    Know how to beat him, have checked a few guides but my build - heavy in INT and Faith is just about dead after one hit. Only managing to get in two shots if lucky. Have
    4 Giant souls, left the dragon alone.

Using Cloranthy, Life Ring +2; Ring of Steel Protection; & Ring of Life Protection.
    Weapons:Black Witches Staff +8; Protective Chime +10; Pyro +10
    Spells: Firestorm; Great Lightening (nice damage but too slow); Dark Orb (only getting in 2 or 3 shots).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Look what you can buy on Qwertee right now. Epic!

10253877_10153079977382524_7601393573064760873_n.jpg

10295673_10153079977277524_7857297772386743914_n.jpg

Will they only be available for a limited time?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Will they only be available for a limited time?

Yupp 10 hours left

http://www.qwertee.com/

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Yupp 10 hours left

http://www.qwertee.com/

Oh well, shut up and take my money it is then :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

Beat the
    Smelter Demon and the Iron King
    last night, could have done them ages ago but wanted to clear area out before doing the boss run. I spent about an hour summoning people to help me with
    Smelter
    and using Lucatiel, kept on getting my ass handed to me and using a lot of humanity so in the end I stripped off all armour and used a buffed Drangleic Greatsword and soloed it in one run !! And then went on to do the same to
    The Iron King
    ! The lesson I learned is this: the more people you summon the harder the boss fight ! It was actually Waaaayyy easier to solo when hollow than when I was Human with a couple of helpers !

This is prolly well known at this stage but this was the first time I could see the huge difference it makes when dealing with certain bosses :pac:

Advertisement