Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Taltos wrote: »
    Taking a break for a while. Totally frustrated with Vendrick.
    Know how to beat him, have checked a few guides but my build - heavy in INT and Faith is just about dead after one hit. Only managing to get in two shots if lucky. Have
    4 Giant souls, left the dragon alone.

Using Cloranthy, Life Ring +2; Ring of Steel Protection; & Ring of Life Protection.
    Weapons:Black Witches Staff +8; Protective Chime +10; Pyro +10
    Spells: Firestorm; Great Lightening (nice damage but too slow); Dark Orb (only getting in 2 or 3 shots).

I'd advise you to take out the Dragon and get the 5th boss soul. If you've enough strength to use a Gyrm Greatshield you can use it 2-handed when the Dragon does his AoE fire attack. If you 2-hand with full stamina you'll survive the AoE attack. The fight becomes easy after that. Don't bother summoning anyone for the Dragon cos it makes him harder and less predictable.
    For Vendrick, as a magic user I'd strongly advise you to pick up the Clearstone Blue Ring+1 in the fog area in the Shaded Woods. You can get the +2 version by beating the Skeleton Lord on NG+. This increases your cast speed. Stack it with Lion Mage gear and equip your fastest staff/chime in order to get ultra quick casts on him. He's quite predictable so You'll get him eventually :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You can also ascetic the first black gulch bonfire for a 5th Giant soul if you don't want to fight the dragon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Taltos wrote: »
    Taking a break for a while. Totally frustrated with Vendrick.
    Know how to beat him, have checked a few guides but my build - heavy in INT and Faith is just about dead after one hit. Only managing to get in two shots if lucky. Have
    4 Giant souls, left the dragon alone.

Using Cloranthy, Life Ring +2; Ring of Steel Protection; & Ring of Life Protection.
    Weapons:Black Witches Staff +8; Protective Chime +10; Pyro +10
    Spells: Firestorm; Great Lightening (nice damage but too slow); Dark Orb (only getting in 2 or 3 shots).

I used a Dark Rapier, my melee backup weapon, to kill that guy with only
    4 giant souls
    on an INT/FAI character.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

an wrote: »
    I'd advise you to take out the Dragon and get the 5th boss soul. If you've enough strength to use a Gyrm Greatshield you can use it 2-handed when the Dragon does his AoE fire attack. If you 2-hand with full stamina you'll survive the AoE attack. The fight becomes easy after that. Don't bother summoning anyone for the Dragon cos it makes him harder and less predictable.
    For Vendrick, as a magic user I'd strongly advise you to pick up the Clearstone Blue Ring+1 in the fog area in the Shaded Woods. You can get the +2 version by beating the Skeleton Lord on NG+. This increases your cast speed. Stack it with Lion Mage gear and equip your fastest staff/chime in order to get ultra quick casts on him. He's quite predictable so You'll get him eventually :)

Staying underneath the Dragon makes the fight pretty easy, using Gowers Ring of Protection (Shaded Woods NG+) helps if you mistime running at his tail with the AOE attack, saves Estus and having to Respec, I didn't take hit with Gowers ring it didn't even break

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

So just getting people opinion on this. With intelligence at 60 would a moonlight greatsword be better than a mundane Santier's Spear buffed with CMW (my lowest stat is 17)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

derfderf wrote: »
    So just getting people opinion on this. With intelligence at 60 would a moonlight greatsword be better than a mundane Santier's Spear buffed with CMW (my lowest stat is 17)?
    I'm not sure in terms of damage...but I believe the mundane Santer's Spear is at it's best when lowest stat is 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I'm not sure in terms of damage...but I believe the mundane Santer's Spear is at it's best when lowest stat is 30.

I'd heard something like that, but I'm not sure whether to go for that or try duel wield MGS (drools). Near the end of ng+ now. I was using magic santiers buffed with cmw for most of it, it turns invaders into confetti, but I'm getting a bit bored of it now.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I've been using the Manslayer as my main PvP weapon for a while now and had pretty good success with it, but it very rarely poisoned anyone, so I tried infusing it with poison to see it if would improve any. The Dex scaling drops down to B from A so it lost some physical damage but now the poison damage is more than doubled.

Manslayer +5: 230 physical daamage +117 from DEX scaling, 100 poison +74 from DEX scaling.

Poison Manslayer +5: 220 physical daamage +78 from DEX scaling, 143 poison +134 from DEX scaling.

Its been working very well for me against the over-powered Havel mages and their ilk (I'm still only lvl 150), if you manage to stunlock them a bit of R1 spam is pretty much guaranteed to poison them or if you manage to score a backstab, guardbreak or parry just keep the pressure on them and a couple of slashes afterwards should have them poisoned. I'd imagine dual wielding poison Manslayers could be quite effective too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well ive more or less "finished" the game on pc

i'm at the
    memories bit, then the final boss to do
    but because i wont be able to play all weekend I got annoyed and decided I'd just see what videos vaatvidya had put up and what people were saying about it 2 months after console release. That in itself says it all about my feelings towards DS2. I just don't care. Game was fun, hard, infuriating but the world and story just did not grab me in the slightest. I don't give a single **** about any of the npc's. I didn't even kill them because I just couldn't be bothered. Maybe this will change after I read other peoples opinions and watch some lore videos. I feel kinda bad for not liking DS2 but challenging gameplay and combat aside.. it was the world of lordran that I fell in love with, draenglic was just a random assortment of loosely (if at all) connected levels in a video game.

i'm pretty sure i'll play it again, i dont know if i'll do an ng+ or start a whole new character. Hopefully by the time I play it again I'll have mellowed out a bit and can try to enjoy it more for what it is.

I feel kinda bad for not liking DS2 but challenging gameplay and combat aside.. it was the world of lordran that I fell in love with, draenglic was just a random assortment of loosely (if at all) connected levels in a video game.
    This is pretty much the universal feel about the game. Enjoyable but forgettable. After 3 playthroughs I still had to stand back and think "uhh...where do I go next?" or "I killed 3 of the 4 bosses...what were their names again...", would never get that in Dark Souls after the first playthrough and I didn't even think of killing all the NPC's, whereas in Dark Souls it was a harrowing tradition and really felt like an emotional purge in some ways. None of the NPC's had a long, fulfilling story like Siegmeyer or Solaire. Graphically it really disappointed too, users are starting to fix up the PC version but the game just looks so flat and washed out. Only the end parts start to look impressive.

Pate and Creighton's story just...ends. There's no real resolution or great plot device. They just fight each other and that's it. That's the most in depth NPC saga this game has to offer and it feels so unsatisfying. Even Lucatiel's just ends. At least Siegmeyer had the full arc with a tragic end and Solaire's could go either way depending on what you did. Plot-wise the game feels so half assed and not even 'lore' can fix some of the mess ups. Not having Miyazaki on board really shows.

Here's something interesting however... Possible Souls title in development

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

If that's legit then OMG. Still, if it is legit I am without a ps4 so :(

On the other side if things I'm finally going home from college so, was gunna jump back in to my duel wield caestus build but, getting a tiny but bored with DS2 for now so think I'm gunna pick up Demon Souls on the PSN store :D Never played it so pretty excited to get some old school souls goin on!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Finally making headway in the game.
    I was utterly delighted with myself.
    Made it to No Mans Wharf and defeated your man in the Blue Cathedral.
    Only scratching the surface but considerably more than this time Thursday.
    Very pleased.
    What an amazing game.
    And why is the Pursuer such a complete tosser?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

That guy at the blue cathedral has beat me instantly three times now. He destroys my stamina far too quick. I haven't got a breeze of what his patterns are as its instant death. I'm leaving him for later.

Grimebox wrote: »
    That guy at the blue cathedral has beat me instantly three times now. He destroys my stamina far too quick. I haven't got a breeze of what his patterns are as its instant death. I'm leaving him for later.
    If you learn to dodge by rolling you can make the fight a lot easier.

i feel like such a twat

started a new character, wandering around from majula to FOFG. in my first 60 hour save game.. I apparently missed the first ****ing non majula bonfire in the game.

i was just wandering along the river after killing the hollows, trying to see if there was anything to see and I let a moan of disgust out when I saw it. I can't believe there was one there all along.

--edit

oh my god it's so *obvious* too :(

i feel like such a twat

started a new character, wandering around from majula to FOFG. in my first 60 hour save game.. I apparently missed the first ****ing non majula bonfire in the game.

i was just wandering along the river after killing the hollows, trying to see if there was anything to see and I let a moan of disgust out when I saw it. I can't believe there was one there all along.
    It's very, very easy to miss to be honest. I never saw it my first time around either...

Likewise I had no idea the forest had a whole extra area with the bonfire near the tree where you get a seed. Skipped it right up until the end of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Finding it pretty easy once I decided on a build.

High Health, Stamina,Strength and Dex with unfortunately a lot of points in Vigour.

Using Avra(?) armour with the hounds helmet from GOT. A big shield and a rapier/claymore mix. Walking through the whole game including bosses. Stopped after getting killed by headless Medusa thing but only because of the poison lake. :|

If that's legit then OMG. Still, if it is legit I am without a ps4 so :(

On the other side if things I'm finally going home from college so, was gunna jump back in to my duel wield caestus build but, getting a tiny but bored with DS2 for now so think I'm gunna pick up Demon Souls on the PSN store :D Never played it so pretty excited to get some old school souls goin on!

I played Demon's Souls over the christmas, I enjoyed it a lot, took me a about 40 hours with a Magic/Dex build. Magic Falchion was my main weapon. You'll never get your weapons fully upgraded in it though :D It's more like DS2 than the first with the hub design. Also, be sure to look up World Tendency before you play, you'll miss out on most of the NPCs if you don't.
    Finding it pretty easy once I decided on a build.

High Health, Stamina,Strength and Dex with unfortunately a lot of points in Vigour.

Using Avra(?) armour with the hounds helmet from GOT. A big shield and a rapier/claymore mix. Walking through the whole game including bosses. Stopped after getting killed by headless Medusa thing but only because of the poison lake. :|

If you want to make Medusa boss easier:
    set the windmill on fire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Looking forward to that PS4 Souls game. Souls has beautiful art, but it feels held back by this gen's hardware.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If you want to make Medusa boss easier:
    set the windmill on fire

Yeah I started at the bottom of the area and I stumbled upon her to be honest. I figured about that but didn't realise where I was. Tomorrow :D

• Advertisement

Cydoniac wrote: »
    If you learn to dodge by rolling you can make the fight a lot easier.

I've been avoiding rolling as it seems inconsistent. Does anyone ever use parry other than for the craic? It seems superfluous

forest of the fallen giants question, gona spoiler it anyway just in case
    how in the hell do you get to that item on the corpse above the first bonfire? it looks way too far away to jump to it and ive pressed a on every wall near it hoping to find a hidden passage

forest of the fallen giants question, gona spoiler it anyway just in case
    how in the hell do you get to that item on the corpse above the first bonfire? it looks way too far away to jump to it and ive pressed a on every wall near it hoping to find a hidden passage

Go up to the ladder by White Knight and jump.

i feel like such a twat

--edit

oh my god it's so *obvious* too :(

YOu mean the one after the house in Things Betwixt?!

YOu mean the one after the house in Things Betwixt?!

Nah the one on your right after entering the forest. I missed it too :D

Ah the one on the right of the stream. I respawned there many a time trying to kill the heide knight. You're all morons :pac:

I've been avoiding rolling as it seems inconsistent. Does anyone ever use parry other than for the craic? It seems superfluous

You need to get your agility up to make rolling viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Its a hard jump.. and the reward isn't work it. :v

Speaking of hard jumps:
    You know the boss room where you fight the three ruin sentinels. Never knew there was a secret passage to grab the item up on the ledge. Can make that jump every time now :o

Danonino. wrote: »
    Its a hard jump.. and the reward isn't work it. :v

Speaking of hard jumps:
    You know the boss room where you fight the three ruin sentinels. Never knew there was a secret passage to grab the item up on the ledge. Can make that jump every time now :o
    But DID YOU KNOW...you don't have to do that jump at all? There's another way...will leave you to head back to that room and explore a bit more ;)

Or maybe that's what you were getting at, lol!

• Advertisement

Go up to the ladder by White Knight and jump.

there's a ladder by the white knight?!

i need to book another eye test, this lasek surgery is wearing off

Advertisement