Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Don't you want to see the blue basement flames at +10? Down by Cale in the Majula mansion? Definitely worth the hundreds of hours if you ask me

i was going to, and maybe I'll keep that as an eventual goal (provided I didn't just delete my save games when I uninstalled the game just there) but I think I'll live without it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Don't you want to see the blue basement flames at +10? Down by Cale in the Majula mansion? Definitely worth the hundreds of hours if you ask me

Blue Basement Flames you say?

Blue Basement Flames you say?
    the flames on the map in the basement of the majula mansion turn blue and that means you've succeeded at life or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Whats the craic with the giant book in the mansion? Does it do anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

At this point, I have 120 ish hours in Dark Souls 1 and 2 each , I recently borrowed a PS3 and platinumed Demons Souls. With the summer lull in releases coming I am seriously considering another run through a souls game.

If I do that there will be no difficult decisions to be made, it will be Dark Souls 1 with the dlc. even without the DLC it's simply souls perfection imo

• Advertisement

I think I'll give DS1 another bash when I'm done with this. Now that I kinda know what I'm doing, it won't be as infuriating.

calex71 wrote: »
    At this point, I have 120 ish hours in Dark Souls 1 and 2 each , I recently borrowed a PS3 and platinumed Demons Souls. With the summer lull in releases coming I am seriously considering another run through a souls game.

If I do that there will be no difficult decisions to be made, it will be Dark Souls 1 with the dlc. even without the DLC it's simply souls perfection imo

i want to play demon souls so I'll have to get my hands on a ps3 when I can afford it some time in 2019 but I'm also pondering another run through dark souls 1

haven't touched it since december... there's balder knights need stabbing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The level design really becomes noticeable when you go back to the first game. It's so familiar...

I bet all of you still know where to go to get your desired armor and weapons for builds?

And it feels really odd opening the Shrine of Winter without the 4 Great Souls :/ I have 3, and am right at the Iron Kings doorstep! SM of 1,000,679 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

The level design really becomes noticeable when you go back to the first game. It's so familiar...

I bet all of you still know where to go to get your desired armor and weapons for builds?
    Yeah, level design in DS1 is amazing. It's not even a large surface area, it's quite a small space, but it's the verticality that makes the difference. The only area which isn't enclosed in one space like that is Anor Londo, and at that stage you get warp.

I think because they spread out the world so much and included warp, there wasn't as much need for links between different area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Yeah even something simple like a smelly old doll needed to access painted world was 100% better than anything DS2 had to offer, like I've said a few times DS2 isn't a bad game, far from it but if you hold it up to DS1 and compare it DS2 was just painting by numbers for the most part.

calex71 wrote: »
    Yeah even something simple like a smelly old doll needed to access painted world was 100% better than anything DS2 had to offer, like I've said a few times DS2 isn't a bad game, far from it but if you hold it up to DS1 and compare it DS2 was just painting by numbers for the most part.

Yeah the second game doesn't have charm like that hidden in places.
    Game play wise I found DkS2 to be better than one though, I think it's a more enjoyable game to play. But you can't argue with the first games set up

Its Lore, Story and Connectivity vs Game play, Replay ability and Online Play if you ask me. Obviously excluding Soliare, or it wouldn't be a fair fight :D

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/2517i8/durability_bug_is_linked_to_framerate/chcv53l

heh heh heh heh heh heh

--edit

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/25wwj9/the_letters_are_worn_beyond_recognition_but_not/
    also heh heh heh, possible story spoilers
    but hell of a mistake to let through. why even bother having a translation if the text is too worn to be read.

----edit

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/25irpr/earthen_peakiron_keep_layout/

well worth reading too
    basic theme of quite a few posts I saw in that thread is that your character is hollowing in much the same way other npc's are. unlike in ds1 there doesn't really appear to be a way to save npcs from hollowing.. lucatiel hollows whatever you do, giving the armour merchant what he desires causes him to start hollowing... cale doesn't really do much but he's a twat so **** him.

the weird map layout, the fact you walk through a 5 foot tunnel and end up at heides which is miles away or all the "how the **** is this area beside that area and I can't see either of them from either of them" is because your character is hollowing as the game progresses. You walked the massive distance to the area but your brain isn't working properly, you can only remember taking an elevator from earthen peak and ending up at the iron keep.. a transition that makes no sense whatsoever until you take into account the memory loss associated with the hollowing process, something the blacksmiths daughter, lucatiel and the armour merchant all go through. Since our character doesn't speak the best way to illustrate this memory loss and brain ****upery is with the world just changing as if four days of your life didn't register.

tbh this explanation actually works pretty damn well for me. I'm kinda warming to the lore of DS2.. it seems more personal. DS1 was about how the curse affected the world, humanity, the gods.. everything.. Dark souls 2 seems mainly concerned with the curse and people. It tries very hard to slap you in the face with everyones memory falling to pieces, you have to travel through four memories at the end of the game to progress (well, only actually one to progress but still.. memories) the cut scene at the beginning deals with the same issues.. you see your wifes face melting representing your loss of memory.

I'm going to come out and say now that I think in time the lore of DS2 will be (almost) as highly thought of as DS1.

(almost).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

----edit

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/25irpr/earthen_peakiron_keep_layout/

well worth reading too
    basic theme of quite a few posts I saw in that thread is that your character is hollowing in much the same way other npc's are. unlike in ds1 there doesn't really appear to be a way to save npcs from hollowing.. lucatiel hollows whatever you do, giving the armour merchant what he desires causes him to start hollowing... cale doesn't really do much but he's a twat so **** him.

the weird map layout, the fact you walk through a 5 foot tunnel and end up at heides which is miles away or all the "how the **** is this area beside that area and I can't see either of them from either of them" is because your character is hollowing as the game progresses. You walked the massive distance to the area but your brain isn't working properly, you can only remember taking an elevator from earthen peak and ending up at the iron keep.. a transition that makes no sense whatsoever until you take into account the memory loss associated with the hollowing process, something the blacksmiths daughter, lucatiel and the armour merchant all go through. Since our character doesn't speak the best way to illustrate this memory loss and brain ****upery is with the world just changing as if four days of your life didn't register.

tbh this explanation actually works pretty damn well for me. I'm kinda warming to the lore of DS2.. it seems more personal. DS1 was about how the curse affected the world, humanity, the gods.. everything.. Dark souls 2 seems mainly concerned with the curse and people. It tries very hard to slap you in the face with everyones memory falling to pieces, you have to travel through four memories at the end of the game to progress (well, only actually one to progress but still.. memories) the cut scene at the beginning deals with the same issues.. you see your wifes face melting representing your loss of memory.

I'm going to come out and say now that I think in time the lore of DS2 will be (almost) as highly thought of as DS1.

(almost).

I always had the suspicion that the lore in this game had the potential to live up to DS1 lore but that people simply hadn't figured it out yet, the majority of people had no idea what was going on in DS1 until the likes of ENB explained it for us. For me the gameplay in DS2 is better and I actually like that lore explanation a lot.

hahahahahaha, that is ****ing evil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Aldia is full of hippo men. I am not happy:mad: hate hippo men:(

you can just
    run past them :)

Holy **** Sir Digby, that lore has blown my mind... It all makes so much more sense now...

I'll be honest, that sounds more like an excuse for bad design than anything. I think you could explain everything with 'lore' if you really pushed. I could say the textures are crap because as a hollow your vision becomes more impaired, or something, or that lag in PvP is the distortions of time.

I love that hidden message find though. I knew there had to be some reason for them to put an interaction there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I'll be honest, that sounds more like an excuse for bad design than anything. I think you could explain everything with 'lore' if you really pushed. I could say the textures are crap because as a hollow your vision becomes more impaired, or something, or that lag in PvP is the distortions of time.

I love that hidden message find though. I knew there had to be some reason for them to put an interaction there.

I don't think the armour merchant actually forgets you either, I think he just gets too big for his boots. Once you spend a bit he starts dressing like Puff Daddy.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Surely it's a joke of some sort? Character in DS1 was hollowing too, sounds like people just trying to make up excuses for the game's shortcomings.

derfderf wrote: »
    I don't think the armour merchant actually forgets you either, I think he just gets too big for his boots. Once you spend a bit he starts dressing like Puff Daddy.
    Yeah, he just becomes an asshole and you just become another customer to him.

I don't think this game needs to me make sense, nor does it. Since your character is a faceless mute with no back story, the player is the protagonist and the world is whatever you make of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Really great lore video released by Vaati the other day.

First part tell of the games ending and the second part goes in depth on some of the main characters stories.

This really is excellent. Highly recommend watching both videos for anyone who hasn't yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

snip

This sounds a little like people covering up for a few design slips but if they had made this idea obvious in the game it would have actually made perfect sense and been a little cool too.
    Perhaps the gaps between areas should have entered full darkness like the tunnel to drangleic castle or something. Maybe an effect like in the starting scene... Very interesting though.

If I'm honest I think the entire harvest valley and earthern peak areas could have been removed and the game wouldn't have suffered.

derfderf wrote: »

he doesn't forget you but he starts to forget home

all he wants at the start is to make money so he can go home and then once you buy enough from him, he's made it. he's accomplished his goal and has nothing left to strive for, so he starts to hollow

dunno if you can embed timestamps, so 5m28s but you can hear there that he goes "home?" in a worried tone and then "where is home"

yeah but there's bad design and then there's catastrophic levels of retardation. The way the game world is layed out if you assume the above theory is true kinda makes sense but without it... it's just awful. it's one of the worst laid out games in the history of game making, it is truly truly insulting. I don't think From are quite that useless.

I dont think everything has to have a reason but there does have to be a reason for such jarring and ridiculous distances and world changes. It's too obvious for them not to have noticed in designing the game.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Surely it's a joke of some sort? Character in DS1 was hollowing too, sounds like people just trying to make up excuses for the game's shortcomings.

yeah but dark souls 1 wasn't about you, it was about light and dark, the light of the gods versus the dark of humanity. You were just a pawn in that struggle, you only matter insofar as you are able to continue the age of fire or "doom" the world to dark.

Danonino. wrote: »
    This sounds a little like people covering up for a few design slips but if they had made this idea obvious in the game it would have actually made perfect sense and been a little cool too.
    Perhaps the gaps between areas should have entered full darkness like the tunnel to drangleic castle or something. Maybe an effect like in the starting scene... Very interesting though.

If I'm honest I think the entire harvest valley and earthern peak areas could have been removed and the game wouldn't have suffered.

i only came to dark souls 1 after it was released on pc so the lore was already more or less figured out by ENB/vaati/others .. but i really really *really* doubt it was anywhere near as straightforward as people seem to remember it being. Nothing in that game makes sense either until you know about it and then "ooooooh....**** yeah, wow.. that's awesome"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

you can just
    run past them :)

True but I like to figure out each enemy so I can enjoy the fights. They have been the one enemy type I haven't sussed yet. I beat the first one with a short sword and crap armour on my first go but each one since has murdered me. I have 1000+ physical defence and can roll and they are still 2 shotting me!

poison works well if you have some rotten pine resin. other than that, it's really just a case of roll roll roll. you can generally stand behind them a bit and let them fall over,then get a hit in.. but i dont think there's enough room in aldias to let you do that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

hahahahahaha, that is ****ing evil

Once I got summoned for a dragonbro duel in the Iron Keep. No one around but there were prism stones leading a path into the Keep. Followed them along, across the bridge, into the furnace, up a ladder through that narrow path with the ironclads and finally into that room with the platforms suspended over the lava. Thinking something sneaky was going on, I pulled the level and dunked the platform before going up to investigate. Then I spot a piece of equipment dropped in the middle of one of the platforms. "What a nice guy", I thought as I went over to pick it up... as yer man drop from above onto the switch and dropped me into the lava...

BEST death ever :p

Advertisement