Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

penev10 wrote: »
    ENB's build wears the Soldiers Ring for extra equip burden and only has the lightest of armour (Thief stuff I think) and carries Rapiers and gets in just under 70%.

Ah ok, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

With all this talk of Dark Souls II I decided to give the original a shot, since it was going for <€7 on Steam. Only once I installed it I discovered that it's practically unplayable without a controller.

So I ordered and X-Box 360 controller. It better be worth it. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

With all this talk of Dark Souls II I decided to give the original a shot, since it was going for <€7 on Steam. Only once I installed it I discovered that it's practically unplayable without a controller.

it is

Fun+Fact+Leviticus+is+a+set+or+religious+_319efab1548c8e5db6f1ff388ddf02c0.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Had been putting if off as didn't have the cash handy but guna buy Demon Os tonight on PSN to feck. Any starting tips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Just make sure to install DSfix (and DSMfix if you're going to use mouse/keyboard). The game is badly optimised and needs quite a lot of power to run without the tweak. It makes the game a lot more enjoyable and allows you to ramp up the resolution and a higher res texture pack if you have the spec for it. It's really worth playing with a controller anyway.

It's a really phenomenal game, playing through it at the moment myself and it has an atmosphere no other game can touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Had been putting if off as didn't have the cash handy but guna buy Demon Os tonight on PSN to feck. Any starting tips?

Don't run across the bridge in the Boletarian Palace immediately or you'll get roasted.
    Infuse your weapons, Google how to do it properly, it's pretty confusing. Like a Uchi in it has a C dex scaling unless infused with sharpstone, which gives it an A immediately... Very different from the Dark Souls game.

Royalty is the easiest class to start with apparently.

As a general rule, bosses are harder than DkS, but regular enemies are easier. And the online is still going fine on it, but it might take a while

Sigh, now only 700minutes to wait for it t DL :pac:

Just so you know Dark Souls 1 is free on Xbox 360 on the 1st June :)

Sigh, now only 700minutes to wait for it t DL :pac:

I bought it for the second time last month. It's darker that DkS aswell, but the atmosphere is excellent! I've only completed one world, I was finding it difficult to get into though, it's a bit all over the place with world setting

logik wrote: »

I have DS1 already, and am a PS3 gamer :P But sh*t, that's pretty awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

More people being introduced to Souls can only be a good thing for the future of the franchise.

DS2 has only sold just over 1m units worldwide, DS1 stands at 2.5m. Source

More people being introduced to Souls can only be a good thing for the future of the franchise.

That's pretty good going for DS2 though considering release times.

Looking forward to trying DS1 on the 360, my PC doesn't run it 100% smoothly so it will be nice to have that experience, plus the servers will be buzzing again.

So at my home house we have terrible internet so was downloading Demon Souls over night. While it was still on this morning the mother plugs it out which she's done like 3 times and it seems to have royally f*cked it up and it won't work. She then said well your to old for it anyway so you won't be getting another one. I'm 20.

Well, looks like no more souls for me til I get back to college in September. Le sigh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

break her tv and tell her she should read more

So at my home house we have terrible internet so was downloading Demon Souls over night. While it was still on this morning the mother plugs it out which she's done like 3 times and it seems to have royally f*cked it up and it won't work. She then said well your to old for it anyway so you won't be getting another one. I'm 20.

Well, looks like no more souls for me til I get back to college in September. Le sigh.

You should have another download? Or contact Sony and see if they can help

You should have another download? Or contact Sony and see if they can help

Twasn't the download that messed up but the PS3 itself. I managed to get it working though somehow, although I have no idea how because a restore wasn't working, but it's on now anyways :D

Just starting now, went for Royalty, starting off with a Rapier and Soul Arrow?! Think I maybe should have went for a more Dex character as not sure if I want magic on my 1st run but, meh, we'll see how it goes.

Googled a little about best starting classes there and seen this comment, LOL.

"I recommend using my wife for the first time. She automatically starts out with Soul Suck."

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Twasn't the download that messed up but the PS3 itself. I managed to get it working though somehow, although I have no idea how because a restore wasn't working, but it's on now anyways :D

Just starting now, went for Royalty, starting off with a Rapier and Soul Arrow?! Think I maybe should have went for a more Dex character as not sure if I want magic on my 1st run but, meh, we'll see how it goes.

Googled a little about best starting classes there and seen this comment, LOL.

"I recommend using my wife for the first time. She automatically starts out with Soul Suck."

I used Royalty when I played it too, main weapon (apart from spells) was a crescent falchion. If you find a dex weapon you like infuse it to crescent scaling, that way you'll have a nice dex weapon that scales with your magic stat.

It only took about 40 hours to complete. It's very difficult to upgrade weapons I found, some serious amount of farming required. Oh and be sure to look up up black & white world tendency, it's very easy to miss the majority of NPCs if you're not aware of it and the game does nothing to explain it or even tell you it exists.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I used Royalty when I played it too, main weapon (apart from spells) was a crescent falchion. If you find a dex weapon you like infuse it to crescent scaling, that way you'll have a nice dex weapon that scales with your magic stat.

It only took about 40 hours to complete. It's very difficult to upgrade weapons I found, some serious amount of farming required. Oh and be sure to look up up black & white world tendency, it's very easy to miss the majority of NPCs if you're not aware of it and the game does nothing to explain it or even tell you it exists.

Sorry I won't clog up the DS2 thread with Demon's talk but, I was just fighting, I think he was called The Vanguard there and he smashed me in one go and got brought to the Nexus, anyway I can go back to fight him? I can't seem to find the way haha

Yeah down the steps in the Nexus I seen a Dev message saying about that world tendency, just said enemies are harder if it is closer to black and easier if closer to white, will give that a google!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sorry I won't clog up the DS2 thread with Demon's talk but, I was just fighting, I think he was called The Vanguard there and he smashed me in one go and got brought to the Nexus, anyway I can go back to fight him? I can't seem to find the way haha

That's just the tutorial, it's possible to kill him but you only get one try. You will get to fight him later in the game though anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Started this and I'm fairly early on in what I'm guessing is the tutorial area, I see a fat thing on the beach. I work my way through the tutorials and see that I'm near fatty.

Stupidly, I try to sneak up on it but another fatty attacks me from behind. I barely survive his attack, I panic and sprint around the coffin thing, I examine it for some reason which makes me jump into it. "I'm safe, this will probably take me somewhere."

Screen fades to black, when it comes back I get a message saying "the nature of your being has changed" and I'm in the same place, both fatties are still there and kill me in one hit.

Google "The nature of your being has changed" and apparently I'm a lady now.

This fúcking game....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

J. Marston wrote: »
    Started this and I'm fairly early on in what I'm guessing is the tutorial area, I see a fat thing on the beach. I work my way through the tutorials and see that I'm near fatty.

Stupidly, I try to sneak up on it but another fatty attacks me from behind. I barely survive his attack, I panic and sprint around the coffin thing, I examine it for some reason which makes me jump into it. "I'm safe, this will probably take me somewhere."

Screen fades to black, when it comes back I get a message saying "the nature of your being has changed" and I'm in the same place, both fatties are still there and kill me in one hit.

This fúcking game....

:D Lure the two fatties up the ramp and over to the door to hit when they fall over. Good few souls for starting out. Don't forget fatty at the start before the hut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

J. Marston wrote: »

This fúcking game....

Start as Sorc, easily kill em and get a large chunk of XP :)

Beware of fatty...

I always just snipe them with bow/arrows but that might not be possible for first playthrough.

I just avoided them until I was alot stonger and then went back to batter them.

As already mentioned though you can use the bow to snipe them from the cave entrance and they cannot get you.

I found DS2 easy enough to level up in I am only after killing the Lost Sinner which is maybe around 1/3 of the game complete and I am already SL 98.

Not to sure i believe those figures. The split between PS3 and 360 seems way too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I found DS2 easy enough to level up in I am only after killing the Lost Sinner which is maybe around 1/3 of the game complete and I am already SL 98.

The Lost Bastille/Sinner's Rise & fighting The Lost Sinner tends to be everyone's or the games intended path for claiming the first Great Soul. If The Lost Sinner was your first Great Soul boss then I would say you're more likely only 15 or 20% through the game rather than 1/3.

I'v only completed Drangleic castle (requires the 4 Great Souls or 1 Million Soul Memory to enter via Shrine of Winter) and from looking at the a mini map I saw it looks like there's still a good chunk of the game left.

Cravez wrote: »
    The Lost Bastille/Sinner's Rise & fighting The Lost Sinner tends to be everyone's or the games intended path for claiming the first Great Soul. If The Lost Sinner was your first Great Soul boss then I would say you're more likely only 15 or 20% through the game rather than 1/3.

I'v only completed Drangleic castle (requires the 4 Great Souls or 1 Million Soul Memory to enter via Shrine of Winter) and from looking at the a mini map I saw it looks like there's still a good chunk of the game left.

Ouch, ok :). You would be right though, The Lost Sinner was my first Great Soul. Game is amazing, but it is massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Not to sure i believe those figures. The split between PS3 and 360 seems way too big.

Apparently vgchartz aren't the most reliable of sources but I've yet to find another.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

Lightning zweihander...yay or nay???

• Advertisement

GK1001 wrote: »
    Lightning zweihander...yay or nay???
    Really depends on your stats. I've found elemental weapons now are far more reliant on decent elemental bonus stats than before.

Advertisement