Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

nope

any boss soul can be consumed or traded as soon as you get it. once you have four great soul bosses defeated you've just passed four checkpoints so the game will now tell you to go to the shrine of winter, but you can do that anyway with 1million soul level or whatever it is. it's a safety measure so players don't rush in underlevelled and go "ehamgerd, game so imba"

giant souls however, as mickeroo said, you'll wanna keep them till the end :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

So before I go and waste my souls, only hang onto the giant souls?

yepyepyep unless you want the boss soul weapons

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I was at first confused at which boss souls needed to be traded with whom for, but essentially it boils down to:
    - Great Souls: Ornifex
    - Regular Boss Souls: Straid

So if you want weapons from the Lost Sinner, Old Iron King, Duke of Freja or The Rotten then bring them to Ornifex in Brightstone Cove.

All other boss souls can be traded with Straid at the Lost Bastille.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

logik wrote: »
    Quick question in relation to the boss souls in the game. I collected them all so far because I knew that I could trade them for weapons. However, I have no need for all of the weapons available because they would not suits my build type.

Is there any point in hanging onto the souls or should I just consume them for the souls?

If you're looking to get achievements, a few boss souls needed to be traded to get spells.

• Advertisement

I haven't played this game for a few weeks and I can't remember where to go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Grimebox wrote: »
    I haven't played this game for a few weeks and I can't remember where to go

Where are you currently? What was the last boss you killed?

Where are you currently? What was the last boss you killed?

These are the questions I am also struggling with. I think I haven't finished whatever is down the hole.

Oh the last thing I did actually was that poison place, which was after the gutter I think

have you gone up to the middlepath in majula and depetrified the woman blocking the gate ?

have you gone up to the middlepath in majula and depetrified the woman blocking the gate ?

I am currently looking for another branch of yore to do this so I can get my Claymore! I want to +10 it.

• Advertisement

I am currently looking for another branch of yore to do this so I can get my Claymore! I want to +10 it.

You said you went down the well, did you go all the way down? If you did there's one along that path that you can't miss.

Did you switch the path at the junction to Heide?

Cydoniac wrote: »
    You said you went down the well, did you go all the way down? If you did there's one along that path that you can't miss.

Did you switch the path at the junction to Heide?

I didn't go down the well? I have moved the path at the junction alright and I am in Huntsman Copse still. I have not jumped into the well yet as I have not purchased the cat ring. I am just about to face Executioners Chariot.

I didn't go down the well? I have moved the path at the junction alright and I am in Huntsman Copse still. I have not jumped into the well yet as I have not purchased the cat ring. I am just about to face Executioners Chariot.
    Ah, I got confused! It might be worth getting that Cat Ring in that case. It's a handy ring in general as there are many parts with longer falls. There are branches as you continue through Huntsmans Copse to the next area.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Ah, I got confused! It might be worth getting that Cat Ring in that case. It's a handy ring in general as there are many parts with longer falls. There are branches as you continue through Huntsmans Copse to the next area.

Ah ok, well i gutted Huntsman Copse last night, Skeleton Lords are down and I have killed everything else, once I get rid of the Chariot I will track back and go into the Gutter for that branch.

The Claymore at +10 and my 40 Str rating should stack quite high :)

Probably the earliest places to get a Fragrant Branch of Yore are:
    - In Chest after defeating The Lost Sinner
    - Found off a corpse just after the second bonfire in Harvest Valley
    - Found off a corpse just in the Gutter just before the fog gate entering into the Black Gulch

If you get the cat ring very early in the game and head down the well, you can very quickly make it to The Gutter and grab the Fragrant Branch of Yore there. Be careful though, The Gutter can be rage inducing at times.

Great, I will grab that Ring tonight and grab the fragrant branch. Thanks for the tips.

The shortcut path to The Gutter is at the very bottom of the well so you'll need to do alot of jumping lengths at times while going down the well (you'll need at least 3 estus flasks id say). If you can't make it then you have to go through the Grave of Saints (higher up in the well) and defeat the Rat Vanguard to gain access to The Gutter.

Cravez wrote: »
    The shortcut path to The Gutter is at the very bottom of the well so you'll need to do alot of jumping lengths at times while going down the well (you'll need at least 3 estus flasks id say). If you can't make it then you have to go through the Grave of Saints (higher up in the well) and defeat the Rat Vanguard to gain access to The Gutter.

That should not be a problem. I have 6 flasks at +2. And over 1400 HP.

That should not be a problem. I have 6 flasks at +2. And over 1400 HP.
    You'll be grand then. There are some nice items to grab at the bottom!

my god, that run up to the ancient dragon in dragon shrine

it's perverse

• Advertisement

my god, that run up to the ancient dragon in dragon shrine

it's perverse
    It's fairly tough and much harder if you want to use the red tearstone ring. Make sure you have light roll (not like you need armour against Ancient Dragon, let's be honest) and for that final stairway just zigzag around them, get them to do their attack just out of range so they're stalled, and you should be okay. If you really wanted it to be easier you could constantly kill them until they stop respawning but that will probably take much longer than it does to just dash up.

****ing darklurker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

****ing darklurker

Indeed, that was when I was losing humanity by the bucket load, not fun if you are pure melee, I eventually resorted to respecing couple of pyros and 2 soul geysers and the fight was over in about 30 seconds without a scratch on me. This right really showed me how crazy I was to stick oout the whole game as melee / archer.

ive gotten the prick down to quarter health several times I just keep tripping over the last hurdle

i can see myself spending several hours in the shrine of amana
    farming effigies

****ing darklurker
    Two words; Sunlight Spear

melee for life!

--edit

had him down to one hit left

strafed backwards into the white laser beam of instant death

melee for life!
    I meleed every other boss but found it just a nightmare for that one. Cheaped out and respecced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Just joined the Abyss covenant for the first time tonight on my current character. Cleared the first zone only to arrive at the second zone and have him asking me for effigies!? Granted i have about 35 of them but i think ill leave these Abyss zones till after Nashandra.

Also got to Shrine of Amana for the first time since launch. Its laughable now. You don't even need to dodge nor sprint to avoid the bolts! Even in water! Such a disgrace.

Just joined the Abyss covenant for the first time tonight on my current character. Cleared the first zone only to arrive at the second zone and have him asking me for effigies!? Granted i have about 35 of them but i think ill leave these Abyss zones till after Nashandra.

The first portal is free when you join but any subsequent trips (even if you die in the first area) needed you require to give Effigies.

• Advertisement

Argh, I forgot how tough NG+ can be... Feels like I can never find a super powerful weapon without needing to cast crystal magic to make it decent. In Dark Souls 1 my +15 Scimitar ripped through everything...in this game melee just doesn't feel as limitless

Advertisement