Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Just got the Drangleic Sword.

Fear me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Dark souls was released October 2011 and the Artorias Dlc was released Oct 23rd 2012

I am led to believe Artorias was lore and what happened at Oociale was not just simply stored away for a whole year. Artorias Dlc added much more than just few different enemies , places and new bosses. It gave new npc with another story to add , new equipment and a pvp mode people asked for.

This is not in the same boat in my opinion as a title that wastes no longer than 3/4 months to announce 3 more dlc and a season pass for people to buy. Again as I posted the trailer I will pick up the packs but when they are cheaper.
    I imagine these 3 episodes would be akin to Manus/Kalameet/Artorias being released as 3 separate parts, so I suppose it's not all that different. You have to understand even on the original Dark Souls disc there were quite a few chunks of Oolacile and Oolacile enemies already made. I'm sure DLC was planned before launch anyway, I mean it's a highly profitable thing. I don't see anything wrong with that, given DS2 felt like the finished product.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Hard to tell at this point, but its been done before with other games often enough so there's a paranoia among gamers about DLC regarding that. Digging into disc content or digging through the PC folders has sometimes revealed the content was there all along and just needed to be 'unlocked'. I doubt that's the case with Dark Souls II, but it doesn't mean the content wasn't pulled or delayed for a later DLC release.
    Relatively speaking it's been done with a tiny fraction of games though. On the odd occasion it has happened, there's been holy bloody war which is why it may appear to be a more common occurrence. Even in those cases however, content may be placeholder, unfinished or may even be just assets without any links to the code to use them. As Cydoniac pointed out, the Dark Souls I disc shipped with some Oolacile content on disc yet we didn't see the expansion for nearly a year later. Similarly when one reads through various art books you'll often find concept art for content which either never made the final game or was later released as DLC.

In the context of Dark Souls II and the announced DLC, I'd wager there was either a sub-team working on this as the game neared completion or, equally likely, the DLC content was in the initial design and as soon as the relevant people on the main team finished on the main game, they went to work on the additional content. Either way it's hard to feel sore about given the amount of content in the shipped game.

Unless you're calex71 that is. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Buy it or don't buy it - it really is as simple as that.

I can't really imagine anyone could really believe that Dark Souls II offered anything other than an insanely generous return on investment, given a minimum of 40-50 hours of superb content - and that's meaningful, worthwhile content too. Playtimes four or five times that long have been cited here and elsewhere, or 'only' three playthroughs (confusingly sometimes cited as a negative :pac:). Even if this stuff was cut - and games have content cut before release all the time for reasons practical, commercial and artistic, there's even a fascinating site dedicated to unearthing these deleted scenes - it's hardly like the released game felt in any significant way lacking or incomplete. The only reason I'd ever get seriously annoyed with DLC policies was when core content was purposefully cut, and that's a thankfully rare occurrence. DLC is also a good opportunity to give life to interesting content that simply could not make original release for any of the countless reasons stuff gets cut from pretty much every game.

So buy it or don't. Dark Souls II is complete as is - a rock solid whole that feels in no way undermined by content that might not have made the final cut for whatever reason, insidious or innocent. The choice is totally in your hands whether you want more, and you're not suffering by not doing so. Although it might make the wait for Project Beast a little more bearable ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

J. Marston wrote: »
    Just got the Drangleic Sword.

Fear me!

its actually not that great, too hgh a dex scaling and dex scaling is kinda ****e

bastard/claymore/mastadon greatsword have similar movesets, better stats and more damage w/ scaling

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I understand that point of view. If your on a budget and you want to trade a game in to go on to the next one. But im more shocked that you traded it in at all :O Demon Soul, Dark Souls, and Dark Souls 2 are the only console games i have left. I don't even have a PS3 anymore :pac:

Souls games feel like real keepers imo

Thats the thing for me had it not been for this announcement of 3 DLC I'd have had no regrets on getting rid of it , more souls is always good but with 2 I really didn't see myself giving it any more or it me ......... however with the summer lull in releases upon us I'm actually chomping at the bit to go back to the original ..... which I still have :)

Lesson learned Dark Souls will always get you in the nuts even after you think you are rid of it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Why are people so disgusted whenever a publisher/developer acts like a business? OK EA are fairly unscrupulous but the announcement of DLC is hardly on the same level as some of their money-wringing shenanigans.

Is it a concern that the content will be sub-standard and perhaps dilute the Souls canon? I doubt From are willing to let that happen judging by the quality of the series thus far.

Even if it is content that was originally intended to be in the game but was cut, whats the big deal? Surely a developer works on numerous assets and then only has time or the inclination to finalise a certain number of them for release. Perhaps the new areas/enemies just didn't fit in with the rest of DS2 and have subsequently been refined enough to see the light of day.

The notion that we the consumer are entitled to DLC that was only conceived and created after the game was released is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Has it been said how much it will be for a season pass for PS3? I'm just hoping it won't be thrown together simply to make money. That said I don't think that will be the case and am really looking forward to it! Time to start saving :)

Has it been said how much it will be for a season pass for PS3? I'm just hoping it won't be thrown together simply to make money. That said I don't think that will be the case and am really looking forward to it! Time to start saving :)

Dollar price was 19.99 (season pass) on steam I think so imagine it will be the same on consoles, Seems reasonable if it's 3 decent chunks of content.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,603 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i must get a move on and try pass the game, i imagine i am not even close to half way. I see no problem if the extra content is any where near as good as the DLC for DS1 !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

So, I killed the Dragon last night. Just the Two watchers and the last boss to go, not to mention tracking back to kill Vendrick once the game is complete.

I am hearing that the Throne Watcher and Throne Defender are a **** to kill. Any tips?

I am a tank with fully upgraded Havel's Armor and Shield, Fully upgraded Claymore and Mastodon Swords. I am packing over 2000 HP and 50 STR.

with that much str maybe throw a +10 into a large club or some other giant strike weapon, just to have it.

i think the large club gets +s str scaling as you upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 26,399 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I might be tempted for my first season pass on PS3 if it is reasonably priced.

Progress in this game has been incredibly slow for me. I have only played 40 hours since release day and am only ggetting my ass kicked by the poison woman in Earthen now.

Quite surprised how little I have played it given how hyped I was as far back as Autumn.

noodler wrote: »

Progress in this game has been incredibly slow for me. I have only played 40 hours since release day and am only ggetting my ass kicked by the poison woman in Earthen now.

Quite surprised how little I have played it given how hyped I was as far back as Autumn.

i was kinda the same my first playthrough, it took a long long time for me to love the game. think i gave up on my 60 hour character near the 3-4th last "level" and just said **** it, i'll start again. that's when I fell in love.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

noodler wrote: »

Did you set the
    windmill on fire?
    the NPC you can summon also makes **** of her.

i was kinda the same my first playthrough, it took a long long time for me to love the game. think i gave up on my 60 hour character near the 3-4th last "level" and just said **** it, i'll start again. that's when I fell in love.

It's a testament to the game that when you started it you really didn't like it compared to DS1 and almost uninstalled it how many times, and even though it might not be as immediately cohesive as DS1, just like everyone, you inevitably can't help but love it :D
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Did you set the
    windmill on fire?
    the NPC you can summon also makes **** of her.

You can just sit back and he will solo her himself, dudes insane!

its actually not that great, too hgh a dex scaling and dex scaling is kinda ****e

bastard/claymore/mastadon greatsword have similar movesets, better stats and more damage w/ scaling

Would agree here. It does depend on what kind of build you are going for but there are better swords out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Dunno if true or not but i read on a DS2 twitch chat that the season pass is already up on the US PSN and its priced at $40 :eek: Double the price of the PC pass. Again dunno if its true but thats kinda a kick in the nuts

Dunno if true or not but i read on a DS2 twitch chat that the season pass is already up on the US PSN and its priced at $40 :eek: Double the price of the PC pass. Again dunno if its true but thats kinda a kick in the nuts

Double :eek: :eek: if true as passes usually include a discount over buying things individually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Can't be true, it's €20 on Steam right now, it couldn't be double that anywhere else unless it's a mistake.

Who would pay that much for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Think you're right. I'm focusing purely and strength and dexterity and I bumped the Bastard Sword (I love that name) up to +6 and it's outperforming the Drangleic Sword now.

Upgrading the Drangleic is a bit difficult since twinkling titanite is like gold dust

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

J. Marston wrote: »
    Think you're right. I'm focusing purely and strength and dexterity and I bumped the Bastard Sword (I love that name) up to +6 and it's outperforming the Drangleic Sword now.

Upgrading the Drangleic is a bit difficult since twinkling titanite is like gold dust

The trader Chloanne will sell 3 twinkling titinates once you get the King's ring (she'll stock unlimited Small & Large Titinate Shards, 10 titinate chunks, 1 slab and limited assortment of other stones as well)

You can farm twinkling titinate from the archdrake clerics/mages in shrine of amana so bring your best item discovery gear - Jester's Cap, Gold Covetous ring (+1 or +2 preferably), prisoner tatters.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,399 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Says on FB tht FromSoft are sticking a secret item in the chest in the Basement of Madula mansion today to mark news of new DLC.

Someone want to check and let me know what it is? (I'm in work sadly).

nothing there for me, unless you need to start a new game for it

--edit

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/27exg6/promotional_event_majula_mansion_treasure_box/

cracked red eye orbs!

oh, niggaz is gon get ****ed up!!

---edit

i have a lv63 character going atm...I might just not play much until the cracked red eye orbs come available, i think i'm at a good level now to invade all sorts..i'd hate to ruin that

Please let it be a mimic

• Registered Users Posts: 20,603 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Please let it be a mimic

would have been great if it was a really powerful mimic !! every one going directly to the box to check what sweet sweet loot they had left for them ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

So did anyone else see the heineken can in the hole where the rats are ?

How the hell that get there :confused:

So did anyone else see the heineken can in the hole where the rats are ?

How the hell that get there :confused:

it's either the most epic lore drop in the history of lore drops

or from just used the wrong texture for garbage and didn't notice

there's a car wheel in the pillars in the gutter too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

People will be running around powerstancing Channeler's Tridents if they're lucky with that many petrified somethings :D

*does dance buff*

• Advertisement

Please explain what petrified something is actually for???

Advertisement