Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

noodler wrote: »
    I am just past the double Dragonriders in Drangleic Castle. Am I coming near the end?

Should I embark on a NPC killing spree?

I have the guide but try not to read it. I eventually wanna platinum this so I am wondering is their stuff I should be doing this playthrough to avoid a NG+++ (I was able to platinum DS in 2 and a half playthroughs).

You're about 3/4 of the way through, maybe less. The game doesn't end when you defeat the final boss so there is no worries about suddenly being pushed into NG+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 flim_flam

Going to start this later on today, I remember for DS1 there was some basic outline of where to go without spoiling too much, does such a thing exist for DS2?

Anything I should know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I am just past the double Dragonriders in Drangleic Castle. Am I coming near the end?

Should I embark on a NPC killing spree?

I have the guide but try not to read it. I eventually wanna platinum this so I am wondering is their stuff I should be doing this playthrough to avoid a NG+++ (I was able to platinum DS in 2 and a half playthroughs).

You will have to go into NG++ anyway with this one as some things won't be available until then, I would suggest trying to get the NPC gear on the 1st run though as it will be a little easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,399 ✭✭✭✭noodler

calex71 wrote: »
    You will have to go into NG++ anyway with this one as some things won't be available until then, I would suggest trying to get the NPC gear on the 1st run though as it will be a little easier.

I reckon I have fecked up some of the NPC quests.

Only Straid has given me a full set of gear that I can recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

flim_flam wrote: »
    Going to start this later on today, I remember for DS1 there was some basic outline of where to go without spoiling too much, does such a thing exist for DS2?

Anything I should know?

There's 5 paths from Majula, the first way in a 4 braches. Follow the branches, it's clearer than 1 in terms of where too go, more linear.

Magic is OP. Be a mage :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

There's 5 paths from Majula, the first way in a 4 braches. Follow the branches, it's clearer than 1 in terms of where too go, more linear.

It actually took me AGES to find the path to Forest of Fallen Giants, I went through Heides first!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm playing this offline as I've not on XBox Live and the bloody Ruin Sentinels are driving me insane.

I took a detour and did the the Royal Rat Authority. Went back to these Sentinel ****ers thinking a bit of levelling might get me through but they still keep smashing my head in.

I don't think I had this much trouble with any of the bosses in Dark Souls 1.
    Killing the first one is easy peasy, I get a nice chunk of health taken out of the second before the third jumps up on the platform.

Drop down to the ground level, and in the end they always get me with some cheap ganging up tactic.

Almost threw my controller through the tv screen last night¬

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'm playing this offline as I've not on XBox Live and the bloody Ruin Sentinels are driving me insane.

I took a detour and did the the Royal Rat Authority. Went back to these Sentinel ****ers thinking a bit of levelling might get me through but they still keep smashing my head in.

I don't think I had this much trouble with any of the bosses in Dark Souls 1.
    Killing the first one is easy peasy, I get a nice chunk of health taken out of the second before the third jumps up on the platform.

Drop down to the ground level, and in the end they always get me with some cheap ganging up tactic.

Almost threw my controller through the tv screen last night¬

There's an NPC you can summon, her sign is in one of the cells before the fog gate.

She's handy enough and can distract one while you take on the other. Make sure you kill the first one before you drop down to floor level though.

So I wandered into Forest of Fallen Giants (I think was the name) and have reached the first boss. I was about 1 hit away from killing him there when he got me :(

I really don't like that you lose health every time you die tbh, for someone like me who dies a lot it's a bit crappy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

o1s1n wrote: »
    You need to be really patient. If you use the Red Eye Ring you can keep them off the NPC and they are not hard to just avoid with a 100% physical defense shield. The trick is to let one attack, then let the next one attack straight after, and then use the space to hit them once or twice, then back away.

• Advertisement

So I wandered into Forest of Fallen Giants (I think was the name) and have reached the first boss. I was about 1 hit away from killing him there when he got me :(

I really don't like that you lose health every time you die tbh, for someone like me who dies a lot it's a bit crappy.

Successful co-op sessions bring you back to human, with a full health bar, and there's a ring in Heides Tower that stops your max health dropping below 75% instead of 50%.

Punch the rock at the well in Majula too, and buy lifegems, they're incredibly handy for healing, even at level 200, 2-3 lifegems can refill your health bar.

To be honest.... I'm not having all that much fun here. Have killed the first boss but regular enemies seem to come at you in swarms way more than the first game, and using an effigy to restore my health is completely pointless as it'll be lost again in about 10 minutes time. Will keep playing for a bit but getting frustrated now really.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

To be honest.... I'm not having all that much fun here. Have killed the first boss but regular enemies seem to come at you in swarms way more than the first game, and using an effigy to restore my health is completely pointless as it'll be lost again in about 10 minutes time. Will keep playing for a bit but getting frustrated now really.

There's a ring that lets you keep 75% health in heide's tower of flame.

Also if you're really frustrated find out how to get a ring of soul protection or ring of life protection. You'll never go hollow again.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Got DS2 yesterday put in a few hours. Then someone told me the mist doors at the start were tutorial levels? I avoided them because from DS1 thinking don't go through mist doors unless you really have to. Going to go back and see what else I missed.

jaxdasher wrote: »
    Got DS2 yesterday put in a few hours. Then someone told me the mist doors at the start were tutorial levels? I avoided them because from DS1 thinking don't go through mist doors unless you really have to. Going to go back and see what else I missed.

In Things Betwixt, they're tutorial doors. After that, be ready for anything

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Stay away from that coffin on the beach if you're going back there.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Stay away from that coffin on the beach if you're going back there.

Now we'll have no talk of that, the coffin is great craic sure

Got into the coffin looool that's pretty neat. I was scared at first I thought I'll be dragged to a boss stage. Got back in to change back, lost my glorious beard! Had to use a human effigy to get my beard back phew. I'll go back to that coffin later tonight.

Bit of help. I've been trying to be summoned but I get "summon cancelled" all the time in the same spot or another place more than once.. Is there a setting I missed?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    There's a ring that lets you keep 75% health in heide's tower of flame.

Also if you're really frustrated find out how to get a ring of soul protection or ring of life protection. You'll never go hollow again.

Doubt I'll get far enough to get any of those items tbh. Just not having the slightest bit of fun with this game. I don't really understand it because I loved Dark Souls.

• Advertisement

Beat Looking Glass night last night.

Really good challenge, deffo one of the standout fights..

Why did they change the name btw? I remember there was a Mirror Knight demo pre release, I also thought that he would create a mirror imagine of your own character but they just seemed like generic phantoms.

Deeper into the Castle I go...

I also played for 50 hours before finding the Ring of Binding in Heides Tower (or is it Cathedral of Blue??)

Being hollow obviously much less of an issue then.

So I removed my ps3 from DMZ and it fixed all my summon problems! Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Nothing better than beating the crap out of some magic spammer in PVP with Dual Caestus +10.

Master of the Universe

Ruin Sentinels done. It was surprisingly easier with the NPC summoned. Heart was still racing towards the end though!

Actually I managed to get passed them with the antiquated key but then decided that was cheating so went back to kill them :pac:

Without being spoilery I wonder are there weapon class that aren't worth investing in? Or are they all valid, hopefully. I just found the twinblades. It looks pretty cool but I imagine these moves set must be broken? I hope it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Without being spoilery I wonder are there weapon class that aren't worth investing in? Or are they all valid, hopefully. I just found the twinblades. It looks pretty cool but I imagine these moves set must be broken? I hope it isn't.

Two-handing Twinblade weapons are the way to go (and it's intended use), the Damage per second they can inflict is amazing! The Santier's Spear (when broken) was probably the better of the twinblades but they have/will nerf it. I'm still using it currently though and it's still useful.

Edit: The only weapons I haven't really tried so far are whips & Scythes (with the exception of the Dark Infused Scythe found in Shaded Ruins). I'v encountered people with whips in PvP and can be quite effective when buffed with bleed or poison.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Just getting into this now, have three bosses down. Found the entire start of the game to be a real struggle (especially the 2nd boss) and nearly gave up but upgraded my weapon and just got a bit better and enjoying it now.

Master of the Universe

Just getting into this now, have three bosses down. Found the entire start of the game to be a real struggle (especially the 2nd boss) and nearly gave up but upgraded my weapon and just got a bit better and enjoying it now.

Yeah I found Dark Souls to be the same. Once you get passed the first few bosses and have your character leveled up/some interesting weapons it's a lot more manageable.

Interested in reading about the Twinblade by the way as I just found it myself. I see the DEX commitment on it is pretty high so was trying to figure out whether to go with it or not.

• Advertisement

Beat Looking Glass night last night.

Really good challenge, deffo one of the standout fights..

Why did they change the name btw? I remember there was a Mirror Knight demo pre release, I also thought that he would create a mirror imagine of your own character but they just seemed like generic phantoms.

Deeper into the Castle I go...

In ng+ if you put a red soapstone sign down anywhere in drangleic castle
    you can get summoned by the mirror knight and pop out of his mirror while someone else is fighting him

Great for a bit of trolling.

Advertisement