Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

On my second play through with an INT based character (first was pure STR). The magic is getting dull quickly. I was hoping for some more expansive spells (it hasn't changed all that much since Demon's Souls!) and tried some Hexes but its all a bit bland. I find myself using my Magic Mace more and more as it's just more fun with melee (it hits harder than any of my spells also).

Are there any late game spells worth hanging on for? I have Soul Shower and Homing Soul Arrow etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Mickeroo wrote: »
    In ng+ if you put a red soapstone sign down anywhere in drangleic castle
    you can get summoned by the mirror knight and pop out of his mirror while someone else is fighting him

You can do it in NG as well, it happens probably less often than NG+ but
    iv been summoned by the looking glass knight about 10 times in NG.
    I think once you're Soul Memory is on par with who is fighting him as he tries to summon you'll be in a chance of being summoned, regardless of which game mode you're on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

penev10 wrote: »
    On my second play through with an INT based character (first was pure STR). The magic is getting dull quickly. I was hoping for some more expansive spells (it hasn't changed all that much since Demon's Souls!) and tried some Hexes but its all a bit bland. I find myself using my Magic Mace more and more as it's just more fun with melee (it hits harder than any of my spells also).Are there any late game spells worth hanging on for? I have Soul Shower and Homing Soul Arrow etc.

Soul Spear can be found in
    Huntsman Copse
    while Soul Greatsword can be found in
    Drangleic Castle

Also, since you're on NG+, after you beat
    Freja
    you can trade the
    Paledrake Soul
    for Crystal Soul Spear.

Using those spells basically switches on easy mode. Ridiculously overpowered if you've got high enough Intelligence and a good staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

QWERTEE have the Bros of Lordran shirt up for sale tonight finally !!!!!!! Another one for the collection :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Just got that now, nice one.

After a day of being killed by the
    Old Iron King
    , I need a pick-me-up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

That boss is tough...one great trick I learned is to hide around the corner in the alcove when the front area is being filled with fire. You really want to avoid that fire under all circumstances, it's the worst if you get knocked back into a pool of lava. I found it okay on NG but on NG+ and beyond it's quite a tough fight.

I've had him down to a slither of health and he always manages to pull something out of the bag, but yeah, I'll try the corner more. Getting slapped into the lava is almost funny, if it wasn't so heartbreaking to die...again.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Which boss is that?

This unsound lad.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Oh yeah he's a pain, the amount of times I rolled into that random hole to the right of the fog gate :mad:

• Advertisement

The "arena" is designed by a real nasty piece of work. His flame can knock you back or sideways a decent amount, too, so there's the joy of getting knocked off the edge a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Grayditch wrote: »
    The "arena" is designed by a real nasty piece of work. His flame can knock you back or sideways a decent amount, too, so there's the joy of getting knocked off the edge a few times.

Hide around the corner. When he submerges run around to the far side, he always reappears out from you, and you don't want him appearing with an angle to flame the hiding spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Found the sparring area. Having loads of fun with it. A lot of people seem to enjoy the big huge club. Any way to counter it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

jaxdasher wrote: »
    Found the sparring area. Having loads of fun with it. A lot of people seem to enjoy the big huge club. Any way to counter it?
    With heavy weapons it's all about trying to predict when they're going to swing and try to move past them and swoop in for an easy hit. I don't know if they are as easy to counter due to the slower attack time (personally I find it a lot easier to parry fast light swings, I don't even know if you can traditionally parry the large weapons)

If you have Poison/Toxic Mist or Dark Fog, it helps immensely when fighting the Old Iron King.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I went back to DS2 fire the first time in 2 months.
    Still in No Mans Wharf and getting my ass kicked.
    The boss is a louser!
    There is so little space down there.
    And your summonable help is terrible, despite having the big pharros torch lit she still picked fights and lost health on the way to the ship.
    Good game though.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I went back to DS2 fire the first time in 2 months.
    Still in No Mans Wharf and getting my ass kicked.
    The boss is a louser!
    There is so little space down there.
    And your summonable help is terrible, despite having the big pharros torch lit she still picked fights and lost health on the way to the ship.
    Good game though.

Don't go down the steps towards the ship where there's the two monster dudes, drop down from the white concrete to the planks platform below just beside the steps. Lucatiel will drop down with you and she'll avoid fighting. You'll have to take care of the vangarian dudes clinging onto the platform and the ship however. Once you have her in the boss fight at good health she is quite helpful, one good thing about NPC summons is that they have tons of health and make good tanks. I usually let her tank the Flexile Sentry and then I bate him into the ground from the other side.

Also, what weapon are you currently using?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,399 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mickeroo wrote: »
    In ng+ if you put a red soapstone sign down anywhere in drangleic castle
    you can get summoned by the mirror knight and pop out of his mirror while someone else is fighting him

Great for a bit of trolling.
    Cravez wrote: »
    You can do it in NG as well, it happens probably less often than NG+ but
    iv been summoned by the looking glass knight about 10 times in NG.
    I think once you're Soul Memory is on par with who is fighting him as he tries to summon you'll be in a chance of being summoned, regardless of which game mode you're on.

Couldn't manage to do this last night - tried for an hour.
    I am SL100 on NG.

noodler wrote: »
    Couldn't manage to do this last night - tried for an hour.
    I am SL100 on NG.

Whats your Soul Memory? Soul Level is quite redundant now in DS2 in regards summoning/invasions etc.

Whats your Soul Memory? Soul Level is quite redundant now in DS2 in regards summoning/invasions etc.

Soul Memory??

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »

Soul Memory??

Yeah if you go to your Player Status and check the top right corner, the number shown there is your Soul Memory. It's the amount of souls you've acquired in total in your character's playthrough up until this point.

It's now what's used in regards summoning/invasions etc rather than Soul Level as to stop low level twinks dickwraithing in the starting areas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Don't go down the steps towards the ship where there's the two monster dudes, drop down from the white concrete to the planks platform below just beside the steps. Lucatiel will drop down with you and she'll avoid fighting. You'll have to take care of the vangarian dudes clinging onto the platform and the ship however. Once you have her in the boss fight at good health she is quite helpful, one good thing about NPC summons is that they have tons of health and make good tanks. I usually let her tank the Flexile Sentry and then I bate him into the ground from the other side.

Also, what weapon are you currently using?

I have a +3 club, vagarian sword, what should I be using?

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

This is Dark Souls.

9008E42765FBD2726DC3D9FAC7E79DF7AD10981F

Yeah if you go to your Player Status and check the top right corner, the number shown there is your Soul Memory. It's the amount of souls you've acquired in total in your character's playthrough up until this point.

It's now what's used in regards summoning/invasions etc rather than Soul Level as to stop low level twinks dickwraithing in the starting areas.

My ng soul memory is 1662189.

still cant get summoned for the mirror knight fight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Whats better Dark Souls 1 or 2?

1, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,603 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i prefer 1 so far, but i have yet to pass 2. maybe after passing 2 and with the DLC to come, i may prefer that. Both excellent thou

Deffo 1.

But DS2 is still a 9/10 game for me so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Demon's Souls! (he says, wearing his Solaire t-shirt from Qwertee)
    Started playing it again recently, and while the lack of an open world is a drawback, the upgrades are a little more straightforward (armour should be standard), the combat is good, and some of the boss fights are great (Tower Knight in particular).

That said, I haven't finished DS2 yet.

Sold DS1 after finishing it twice, but just ordered Prepare To Die edition cheap on Amazon.

• Advertisement

The upgrades were definitely best in Demon's Souls! I still think it's my favourite.

Advertisement