Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

weiland79 wrote: »
    I stopped playing this about a year ago and decided to fire it up again last night. I'm fairly lost as to where i should go to next and thought If I post what bonfires i have lit and what souls i have that maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

Things Betwixt
    Forest of fallen giants 3 bonfires lit
    Heides tower of flame 2 bonfires lit
    No mans Wharf 1 bonfires lit
    The lost Bastille 3 bonfires lit
    Sinners Rise 1 bonfire lit
    Shaded Woods 3 Bonfires Lit
    Doors of Pharros 2 Bonfires lit
    Brightstone cove Tseldora

Souls
    Soul of the last giant
    Dragonrider soul
    Flexile Sentry soul
    Ruin Sentinel soul
    Soul of the lost sinner
    Scorpioness Najka Soul

And Soul of the Duke's Dear Freja which i got just last night because thats the area i spawned into so just continued through it.

Where to next?

Thanks.

It's more fun figuring out these things by yourself. That's the beauty of the souls games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

hadoken13 wrote: »
    Are you sure? Can you not get the set and access to the dark portals without 99 souls of a giant?

When you kill the giants in the gulch, you get the key and a giant soul.
    If you have 99 giant souls and kill the giants, you don't receive anything because you cant fit another giant soul in your inventory.

It's virtually impossible to get 99 Souls of a Giant without hacking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

This Fume Knight fella is not the best of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin runs at 1080p and 60FPS.
    The jump to PS4 has given developer FromSoftware an opportunity to paint a more pleasing picture. The native 1080p resolution, upgraded lighting effects, and cinematic filters give the game a richer, cleaner look compared to the PS3 version.

But the biggest improvement comes from the improved framerate — 60 frames per second according to Bandai Namco representatives. The increased fluidity translates into more responsive movement and combat, a major advantage considering the game’s famously unforgiving difficulty.
    Then there are the gameplay adjustments. You won’t be able to rely on your memory to cakewalk the PS4 game because some enemies and item locations have been changed. Enemies will follow you more tenaciously, even through fog gates — a terrifying, potentially ruinous side effect of PS4′s expanded RAM pool.

Some weapons are also being tweaked. I noticed that the Fire Long Sword, a powerful early-game weapon that saved my butt countless times on PS3, seemed to be way less durable in this version. In other cases, a producer told me, weapons that were largely overlooked may be easier to find, or be adjusted in other ways.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin on PS4 also includes all previously released Dark Souls II content expansions: Crown of the Sunken King, Crown of the Old Iron King, and Crown of the Ivory King, so there will be no shortage of things to do and monsters to kill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

PS4 version looks slightly better than the unmodded PC version. Even then it looks very washed out, but that could be a problem on IGN and what setting or capture software they are using.

But having to pay for the DX11 upgrade seems abit scummy to me to be honest. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of content in this "new" version since i already have the season pass for the PC. Maybe a reduced price for PC season pass owners? Maybe like €5!? Cause otherwise ill just wait a few months and actually get it for €5 of g2play or steam sale.

But if i was a console only player coming from PS3 to PS4 and i didn't have the DLC i would jump on this. Or....ye know. I would just buy BloodBorne which is out in about 2 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

They had an opportunity to fix the lighting for PS4 and they blew it again.

J_E wrote: »
    They had an opportunity to fix the lighting for PS4 and they blew it again.

Actually i looked at the most recent Vaati video and the dark places are actually really dark and you need a torch to go through them. Changing the contrast wont help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

PS4 does looks better/sharper in terms of textures than PS3 but the PS4 v PC ones look off to me, almost like the gamma/contrast settings need adjusting in one or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I really hope they offer a huge discount to those who currently have the game and/or the DLC. Similar akin to Deus Ex: HR when they released the Director Cut version.

I also got very confused between the patch released yesterday and the DLC in April. I originally thought PC/PS3/Xbox36 owners got everything in the one go yesterday then the April release was like a standalone release with all the DLC for PS4 and Xbone together. So yesterday I was expecting the better graphics (for PC) and changed enemies and increased PvP invaders until Vaati's video cleared it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Cravez wrote: »
    I really hope they offer a huge discount to those who currently have the game and/or the DLC. Similar akin to Deus Ex: HR when they released the Director Cut version.

I also got very confused between the patch released yesterday and the DLC in April. I originally thought PC/PS3/Xbox36 owners got everything in the one go yesterday then the April release was like a standalone release with all the DLC for PS4 and Xbone together. So yesterday I was expecting the better graphics (for PC) and changed enemies and increased PvP invaders until Vaati's video cleared it up.

What DLC is this?

I thought the patch yesterday was the (Free) DLC.

I only bought the DS2 season pass for PS3 last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Could be wrong here, but isn't scholar of the first sin only being released on PS4/Xbone?
    You won't be able to have Regular Edition and Scholar of the First Sin edition on the same console

Could be wrong here, but isn't scholar of the first sin only being released on PS4/Xbone?
    You won't be able to have Regular Edition and Scholar of the First Sin edition on the same console

Scholar of the First Sin is just the name to the GOTY version (with all DLC) same way Dark Souls was released as the 'prepare to die version'.

Scholar of the First Sin edition for PS4/XBONE won't have new DLC - it will have the same dlc the current gen have but with the ability to handle more enemies and more random AI (and graphics obvs).

AFAIK the patch yesterday included for all existing players for free:
    - Additional NPC's
    - Parameter Adjustments for Improved Game Balance
    - Augmented Item Descriptions
    - Improved online matchmaking functionality

The release in April, which you will have to pay for, include: (PS4, Xbox One & PC only)
    - Improved Graphics
    - 6 Player sessions
    - Enemies will spawn in different areas

Sorry I meant it more from a PC platform perspective. PC players will be able to buy SOTFS edition as well, so for PC players its literally an upgrade similar to Deus Ex's Directors Cut edition. Which is why I hope they offer a huge discount if you already have the base game and/or DLC in your Steam account.

AFAIK the patch yesterday included for all existing players for free:
    - Additional NPC's
    - Parameter Adjustments for Improved Game Balance
    - Augmented Item Descriptions
    - Improved online matchmaking functionality

The release in April (which you will have to pay for) include:
    - Improved Graphics (PS4, Xbox One & PC only)
    - 6 Player sessions
    - Enemies will spawn in different areas

The physical GOTY edition in for PS4/XBONE and PC will contain those 6 player sessions and other improved AI because of the better hardware they are running on. It'll just be part of the game if you buy it next gen.

It won't be available on PS3/360 due to hardware limitations.

Am I missing something here? I thought this was all fairly clear. They are making updates for the next gen version that arent possible on this gen systems.

Yeah sorry, as I mentioned above I meant it more from a PC perspective rather than Last Gen/Next Gen consoles.

Yeah sorry, as I mentioned above I meant it more from a PC perspective rather than Last Gen/Next Gen consoles.

Oh sorry.

Get you now.

I'd say you'd have to buy it again alright but thats pure speculation.

noodler wrote: »

I'd say you'd have to buy it again alright but thats pure speculation.

I'd say so. Which I mean I don't mind paying some money for it but I don't want to pay the full price, which is why I hope they will give current players a discount if they have the base game/dlc on Steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Have to admit, don't think I'm really bothered installing DS2 again (and actually paying more, the audacity) for the sake of NPC's and a few enemy changes.
    Actually i looked at the most recent Vaati video and the dark places are actually really dark and you need a torch to go through them. Changing the contrast wont help.
    2 dark rooms does not constitute a lighting change. It still looks washed out in the rest of the game. Only the ENB mods seem to recreate a fraction of what the original demo looked like.

Feeling really sore that From would still let down their PC players and try to milk the cash cow again with a game that really isn't a classic.

• Advertisement

Have to admit, don't think I'm really bothered installing DS2 again (and actually paying more, the audacity) for the sake of NPC's and a few enemy changes.

2 dark rooms does not constitute a lighting change. It still looks washed out in the rest of the game. Only the ENB mods seem to recreate a fraction of what the original demo looked like.

Feeling really sore that From would still let down their PC players and try to milk the cash cow again with a game that really isn't a classic.

in fairness, its still a free download for quite alot of the stuff.

The PS4 version looks washed out. The PC version doesn't. Plus im guessing there is more than just those 2 rooms that are dark.....I can't actually think of any other places :pac: but im sure the gutter will be dark as well, and maybe the pirate cove?

I would play through it again for the increased difficulty and the added lore, but only if the price is right for the PC version. Even then i might just wait for it to go on sale...

Some more information.
    In Dark Souls 2, your ability to join someone's game (whether as friend or foe) was determined by something called "soul memory" — basically a stat tracking how much currency a player had earned and spent throughout their total time in the game. Many players complained about this system, as it was difficult to determine the best soul memory range to ensure that you could find people to play with or against.

From Software isn't dumping soul memory altogether, but Yoshimura says that players will now have ways to control the range of soul memory that the game searches for when connecting to other players. This will also allow friends who want to play co-op together to find each other more easily, a long-standing request from many fans.

"I'm not saying players can directly communicate with their friends, "Yoshimura says. "Indirect communication with other players is the unique aspect of the Dark Souls franchise. We're not going to change that. But we will let players control soul memory to at least let them match more easily."
    In addition to different enemies in different locations and enemies from the DLC making their way into the core game's zones, Yoshimura says that enemy AI has been improved across the board. More dense packs of enemies have been placed in some areas, and they'll now track players for much longer, effectively ending the strategy of just running past less bad guys.
    Other alterations seem to be in place mainly to keep returning players on their toes, like a new NPC Dark Phantom called the Forlorn, who can invade and attack you anywhere online play is possible. If you've built up a sense of security about your surroundings, he can show up anytime to destroy it.
    Part of mastering a Dark Souls game is understanding the characteristics and locations of your enemies. According to Yoshimura, Scholar of the First Sin wipes the slate clean. "Enemy placement is completely revised in all areas of the game. It's not just several areas, it's all areas," he reiterates. "What makes this unique is that it completely changes the gameplay. For example, there were a lot of fireman looking zombies in the Forest of Fallen Giants, but you will recognize that the number of [these enemies] has increased. Also, their AI is improved. Previously, their AI was not that smart. It was easy for players to escape from zombies without actually fighting them. They're smarter than before. They'll basically chase players all the way down until they get killed, so it's really difficult to escape from them."

Yoshimura explained that beyond new enemy placement and improved AI, there will also be certain types of enemies that appear where you least expect them to. "Right after you start from the bonfire in the Forest of the Fallen Giants, you will see this hippo-looking guy in the River. He wasn't there [before]. Remember the elevator that takes you to the boss arena? There were no enemies there, but this time there are! All of those hardcore Dark Souls fans [probably] remember safe areas, but these are no longer safe. They need to come up with a completely new strategy in order to conquer each area in Scholar of the First Sin."
    Then there are the gameplay adjustments. You won’t be able to rely on your memory to cakewalk the PS4 game because some enemies and item locations have been changed. Enemies will follow you more tenaciously, even through fog gates — a terrifying, potentially ruinous side effect of PS4′s expanded RAM pool.

Some weapons are also being tweaked. I noticed that the Fire Long Sword, a powerful early-game weapon that saved my butt countless times on PS3, seemed to be way less durable in this version. In other cases, a producer told me, weapons that were largely overlooked may be easier to find, or be adjusted in other ways.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin on PS4 also includes all previously released Dark Souls II content expansions: Crown of the Sunken King, Crown of the Old Iron King, and Crown of the Ivory King, so there will be no shortage of things to do and monsters to kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

It seems twinking will be back in with the soul absorbing ring

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Not sure why but decided to get back into this again, NG+ barely in ten minutes and I get invaded. Panic sets in, it's been months, can't even remember how to jump or to get into my inventory menu.

One of th first invasions in a while I survived, "ah this isn't too bad", turned a corner, through a door and the git in th floor jumped up and battered me...

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Scholar of the First Sin isn't really just for a game of the year edition, it's a complete update for the game:

“In terms of new content, there are no additional maps, no. But the story will be new and expanded and fresh, even for the players who have played through seven or eight times,” Tanimura says. “But there are some new ways through the maps.”

The updated version won’t feature new enemies—except for a new type of Dark Phantom they couldn’t divulge any information on—but enemy placement and how they interact with player is scrambled.

“The enemy placement and the types of enemies that you are going to face, in terms of different areas, is totally different ... And that will change how you will reach the end of the map,” Tanimura says. “So for the DLCs those were new maps, new areas to explore. For this game, we are basically making a new challenge out of the entire Dark Souls 2.”

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If they had fixed soul memory last summer I probably would still be playing this.

I'm at two minds about buying it again but I never played the Dlc so at least there would be some new content for me to sink my teeth into.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

A lot more ganking is all I took from the video. Yay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Hmm.. with this update and Bloodborne around the corner, it may be a good time to come back to Dark Souls for me.

Advertisement