Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

It's still a very good game regardless of the hate it gets. its hard to replicate that first time dark souls feel a second time around and I think that's the reason it fell flat for some people. A lot of the areas also feel reused from the first game and bosses too. Plus they got lazy in some areas with boss and world design.

Other than that it has a **** load if content with tonnes of armour sets, weapons and magic spells, more than 4 times the first game had. It's also a bigger world than the first, maybe twice the size.

I would say pick it up if you're looking for more of the same. Should be pretty cheap at this stage if you're getting it on PC. Or you could wait about a month or so and get the re release with all the DLC included. Also get the Dark Souls 1 DLC if you haven't already.

noodler wrote: »

Do 360 and PS3 players get the new enemy placements free with the patch btw? Lost track of the cool chart someone had linked to that showed who was getting what.

Haven't touched the DLC yet and kind of regret buying it now with the remaster coming.

Nope. You gotta spend money for the enemy placements

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Nope. You gotta spend money for the enemy placements

Can I actually buy an update for my PS3 version though?

Or do I have to buy the SOTFS PS3 version?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It's not as good as the first game Stone, but nothing is for me, I'd still have this as one of the best games I've ever played regardless.
    Still a fantastic game, and the 'backlash' as such I still reckon was in some ways undeserved. It had the unenviable job of living up to one of the greatest games ever made, and while it undoubtedly had weak points and a few misguided design decisions (and altogether a rather blander world than its predecessor) it was still a hugely compelling, challenging and deep game.

It has to be said Bloodborne puts it to shame, but it's still a great experience, and well worth playing for any fans of the series.
    It's still a very good game regardless of the hate it gets. its hard to replicate that first time dark souls feel a second time around and I think that's the reason it fell flat for some people. A lot of the areas also feel reused from the first game and bosses too. Plus they got lazy in some areas with boss and world design.

Other than that it has a **** load if content with tonnes of armour sets, weapons and magic spells, more than 4 times the first game had. It's also a bigger world than the first, maybe twice the size.

I would say pick it up if you're looking for more of the same. Should be pretty cheap at this stage if you're getting it on PC. Or you could wait about a month or so and get the re release with all the DLC included. Also get the Dark Souls 1 DLC if you haven't already.

Good stuff lads, ye've made up my mind for me. I reckon I'll pick this up in the near future.

The beauty (for me) of DS1 was that point where the initial struggle eases and you start to get a bit more proficient. I've never played a game that delivers that same sense of earned satisfaction or genuine triumph from overcoming an obstacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Yeah I agree with the others. While it's not as good as Dark Souls 1, it's still a great game in its own right. Both Dark Souls 1 & 2 are currently my most played games ever.

The main differences between Dark Souls 1 & 2 if I could say are:

Dark Souls 1: Better enemies/bosses, More Intresting NPCS, Better Level Design, Better Lore, More "Immersive"
    Dark Souls 2: Better combat, More Weapons, Armor & Magic, Covenants "Work", Greater replayability.

I enjoyed the Journey of Dark Souls 1 more. The game felt lonely, epic and difficult in various different ways. You connected to the world alot more than Dark Souls 2 and the difficulty felt genuine.

I appreciated the combat in Dark Souls 2 more, Introduction of Power Stances and Guard breaks makes combat and PvP more interesting. However I did feel the difficulty felt alot more "fake". Scholar of the First Sin's answer to increased difficulty seems to be plopping more enemies in rather than better focused enemy design and AI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

About to start for the first time after picking it up on Xbox One, any tips? What's the best 'starter' class?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

About to start for the first time after picking it up on Xbox One, any tips? What's the best 'starter' class?

Deprived

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Is Dark Souls 2 worth picking up for €45 ? Also have a €5 voucher for Argos.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Is Dark Souls 2 worth picking up for €45 ? Also have a €5 voucher for Argos.

If you haven't played it yet, then yes

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If you haven't played it yet, then yes

Nope haven't played it. Don't normally go for games like that but all the positive chat about Blood borne is making me want to give it a go.

• Advertisement

Nope haven't played it. Don't normally go for games like that but all the positive chat about Blood borne is making me want to give it a go.

If you've a last gen console or PC then the first Dark Souls is definitely worth a play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Dark Souls 1 is truly a magical experience - still wish I could get that 'first play' experience again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Mallory Rancid Sunset

J_E wrote: »
    Dark Souls 1 is truly a magical experience - still wish I could get that 'first play' experience again.

indeed
    meeting that first smelter daemon and the separate what the **** moments when i hit him and then when he hit me will forever be one of my favourite gaming experiences. also finally beating bloody ornstien and smaugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Liquidus

Dark Souls 1 was excellent, one of my favorites.

Dark Souls 2 although I like it however its been almost a year since I last played it. I got really annoyed with the the spider boss and how long it takes to get there.

Not sure if I will continue with that save game or start afresh because I used some cheats which on afterthought make have ruined that save game i.e (godmode to go down well, havels armour etc)

I have purchased a ps3 for cheap to play some exclusives such as Demon Souls so maybe I will play that first before Dark Souls 2 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Hold on mate! :o Just be sure before you spend the money on it as you have never played it before. It can be very very infuriating to play as it is not like most RPGs. It is unforgiving, you cant run in and swing your weapon expecting enemies to drop. It is a different experience. I think they are some of the best games I have ever played but they are very hard, save points can be a pain and losing souls is very annoying.

It is worth 45 euro all day long but prepare yourself for the 1000 deaths you are going to experience. Some of the boss fights are very difficult but the sense of achievement when you finally down them is amazing! They are slow games, I think I put 70+ hours into my play through doing alot of the side missions etc.

If you do get it, start as a Knight as the class is a little more forgiving until you get the hang of the game and then restart as a different class if you want. I played Knight as I love sword and board and heavy armor, also suits my play style the best.

As an Xbox, 360 and One owner, I am gutted the Bloodborne is not coming to the One :(

Liquidus wrote: »
    Not sure if I will continue with that save game or start afresh because I used some cheats which on afterthought make have ruined that save game i.e (godmode to go down well, havels armour etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Cravez wrote: »
    The main differences between Dark Souls 1 & 2 if I could say are:

Dark Souls 1: Better enemies/bosses, More Intresting NPCS, Better Level Design, Better Lore, More "Immersive"
    Dark Souls 2: Better combat, More Weapons, Armor & Magic, Covenants "Work", Greater replayability.

I'd agree with all of the above but the combat bit is wrong. Dark Souls 1 had far better combat mechanics. Hit boxes in 2 were clunky and didn't match animations a lot of the time. They did clear up the netcode quite a bit which made for smoother online but the pure combat was much better in 1.

I'm going to be very tempted to pick up SOTFS on PS4 in 2 days even though I'm nowhere near done with Bloodborne!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Has anyone played the Scholar of the First Sin update yet? I have DS2 on PS3 but never bought any of the DLC. I now have a gaming laptop so I'm considering buying it to have on PC. Just wondering how the update fairs to the original and is it worth it?

I read a couple reviews on steam that says they've just placed way more hollows in the game rather than better enemy placement so the difficult is really just artificial rather than being better designed.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,278 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Big Knox wrote: »
    I'd agree with all of the above but the combat bit is wrong. Dark Souls 1 had far better combat mechanics. Hit boxes in 2 were clunky and didn't match animations a lot of the time. They did clear up the netcode quite a bit which made for smoother online but the pure combat was much better in 1.

I'm going to be very tempted to pick up SOTFS on PS4 in 2 days even though I'm nowhere near done with Bloodborne!

I think you're right in general but there was much more depth to the PvP combat in 2 for me. The soul memory system drove me away from it in the end though, got sick of fighting players 500 levels above me with maxed out stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Has anyone played the Scholar of the First Sin update yet? I have DS2 on PS3 but never bought any of the DLC. I now have a gaming laptop so I'm considering buying it to have on PC. Just wondering how the update fairs to the original and is it worth it?

I read a couple reviews on steam that says they've just placed way more hollows in the game rather than better enemy placement so the difficult is really just artificial rather than being better designed.

I have had DS2 on PS3, PC DX9 with all DLC and now PC DS2 SOTLS

It runs and looks awesome on PC compared to PS3 and a gaming laptop should handle it fine. I run it at 4k max settings on a gtx 970 and 770.

If you never bought DLC then its a great buy because the graphical difference is well worth the upgrage along with the DLC which are great value for money.

From DX 9 to DX 11 its more a case of if like me you cant resist to see what changes are made as it cost 15 euro to upgrade! The new version feels more fleshed out and not as barren as the older version and I am enjoying it more than first time round.

• Advertisement

Just playing sunken king.

Any tips for Elana? Getting killed here.

She seems string in every department and when she calls the bronze dude, forget about it. Not doing great damage to her.

Raw dragon slayers axe plus 5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

jaffusmax wrote: »
    I have had DS2 on PS3, PC DX9 with all DLC and now PC DS2 SOTLS

It runs and looks awesome on PC compared to PS3 and a gaming laptop should handle it fine. I run it at 4k max settings on a gtx 970 and 770.

If you never bought DLC then its a great buy because the graphical difference is well worth the upgrage along with the DLC which are great value for money.

From DX 9 to DX 11 its more a case of if like me you cant resist to see what changes are made as it cost 15 euro to upgrade! The new version feels more fleshed out and not as barren as the older version and I am enjoying it more than first time round.

Awesome, I reckon I'll pick it up when it goes on sale.

Just playing sunken king.

Any tips for Elana? Getting killed here.

She seems string in every department and when she calls the bronze dude, forget about it. Not doing great damage to her.

Raw dragon slayers axe plus 5

Raw weapon? If your Dex or Str are middling high you're wasting your time. I think she only calls one summon at a time, so if you get skeletons then kill two of them and leave the last one, bate the ****e out of her for as long as possible.

If she summons Velstadt then focus on him until he's dead

Ended up summoning.

Life is too short.

Dragon now. God, bit of a slog this, did they run out of ideas?

The sunken crown DLC is probably the best area in the whole game!!!

The sunken crown DLC is probably the best area in the whole game!!!

More talking about the bosses so far.

Really feel cheap without any innovation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I like the subtle lighting improvements to Scholar of the first Sin but the shader they have on the sea in Majula looks like absolute pish compared to the old one.

in terms of bosses, Sunken Crown is the worst. Other two are definitely an improvement.

• Advertisement

J_E wrote: »
    in terms of bosses, Sunken Crown is the worst. Other two are definitely an improvement.

Everyone of Singh's moves seems to one shot me. When he flies over me, he always seems to catch me.

This is awful.

Advertisement