Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

Theres something about DS2 that I cant get into in the same way as DS1, i dont know if its the smoother graphics and animations or what, but theres just something 'off' about it that I can't gel with. And thats a pity as I love DS1, its a true masterpiece.

For me it was the locations and bosses , they weren't dreadful or poor by any stretch but when you hold it up against the first game , right out of the gate things betwixt was no Asylum

It's one of those games you can never get back the feeling you have when you first play it no mater how good subsequent games are :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They managed it going from Demon's Souls to Dark Souls. Dark Souls 2 just seems a bit uninspired, many bosses aren't that interesting and the same goes for the locations as well. I really enjoyed it but there was some of the magic missing from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

If you read the interview in the DkS2 Design Works it really hits home why the game doesn't live up to the standards of the other games.
    http://peterbarnard1984.tumblr.com/post/113163062955/dark-souls-2-design-works-translation

TLDR; The first director was making a bags of it then they parachuted in another inexperienced bloke to pick up the pieces and bring the project back on track. (who to his credit made a decent fist of it)

Choice quote:
    Due to a number of factors we were actually forced to re-think the entire game midway into development. We really had to go back to the drawing board and think once more about what a Dark Souls game should be. It was at that point that I took on my current role, overseeing the entirety of the game including the art direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Ya that's pretty obvious when you saw how important lighting was in the previews and than how absent it was in the game itself.

The two biggest issues I have are the boss fights which is just more of the same enemy and the level design is so bad when you compare it to Dark Souls.

All you did in DS2 was just walk to the end of an area and teleport back while in Dark Souls, everywhere was linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

penev10 wrote: »
    Really? I found the mobs to be largely uninspired which put me off despite the level design being of a higher quality than the rest of DkS2. Still doesn't match up to the majority of DkS1 or even some of DeS imo

Agreed.

I only got to the second DLC before I gave up but the interesting level design was overshadowed by ridiculous boss fights for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I thought Sir Alonne was harder than the Fume Knight. My build was dodging/no shield, which is the worst set up because he'll just keep charging you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As interesting as some of the bosses in the DLC are, it suffers significantly from their over large health bars. Same thing was the case in Bloodborne, albeit that genuinely featured some of the best bosses in the game (like Lady Marie). As much as I enjoy the challenge of these games, I think that's only one of the factors that make them work - the world and level design in particular are perhaps even more important than the game's difficulties. There are more moments IMO in the DLC that feel more arduous and frustrating than really anything in the core game (although **** the lead-up to the Smelter Demon!) mainly thanks to the damage sponge bosses that are incredibly unfriendly towards certain builds. Still, you also get to visit some wonderfully vast, twisting and imaginative locations - even with the sometimes irritating punctuation marks.

Would be really interesting to see a From game with less emphasis on bosses, actually - think it could be a fascinating way to explore some of the other strengths of these games and bring them to the forefront. Not going to happen, but something I'd love to play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The only bosses that gave me trouble in the DLC were the optional bosses, and really that was the point of them, to challenge the very best players. Those were the only ones I felt had very large health bars.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Was doing a Sorceror build, but not really enjoying magic in the game...to slow and stand off(ish) for my liking. So i think i'll restart later and do a Str or Dex build.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

One of the biggest problems I have with pure spellcaster builds is the lack of first person targeting for ranged spells.

On my last NG run I only used Heide Knight equipment and a chime for miracles and had great fun once I was finished grinding for the gear. I've soloed* every boss with that build except for Alonne, Sinh, and Lud & Zallen.

*Loyce Knights don't count

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I think you can first-person target - you need to use the binoculars then cast a spell. Not 100% sure but I think that is the way it's done.

J_E wrote: »
    I think you can first-person target - you need to use the binoculars then cast a spell. Not 100% sure but I think that is the way it's done.
    You're right. I should have said an easy way like you can with bows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭GeorgeStobort

After finishing Dark Souls Bloodborne and Dark Souls 2 I've decided to go back and give Dark Souls 2 another chance after initially hating it.Whilst  I still have issues with the controls and there are definitely frustrating sections, im starting to like the game. Im stuck at the three sentenials boss battle, its where you drop onto a ledge and fight one straight away. I then get knocked down and have to fight 3 at once. Would appreciate some advice or tips, cant even kill one yet

They're weak to blunt weapons. You should be able to circle around the first one to avoid its attacks and deal with it on the platform then you'll need the extra room below for the other two.

The NPCs summons aren't great but they can distract one while you deal with the other providing they don't get knocked off the platform and trigger the next two early.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I think I managed to stay on the ledge and kill the first guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Stay on the ledge and fight the first one for as long as possible, if you manage to kill it then happy days. The second always jumps up a set amount of time into the fight, at this point its time time to drop down. When you fight them just keep your distance and wait for one of them to over extend then punish it with attacks. There is also a section of the arena that has a walk way above it, if you stay under there as much as possible their flying jump attack wont hit you and they will be stunned for a short time after hitting the ceiling.

As another poster said they are weak to blunt damage, i think its called Strike in game. They can be stunlocked permanently if you powerstance a set of maces and attack them with L1 or L2 i forget which one does the double attack.

This boss is optional isn't it? You only need to fight them if you came here by beating the Pursuer and don't want to come by ship.

what stats are best to level up first. I think I may have put too many in Dex, its at 28 at the moment, ive put afew in endurance aswell. I started as the knight

It depends on the build you're aiming for.

a good one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Buff resistance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

what stats are best to level up first. I think I may have put too many in Dex, its at 28 at the moment, ive put afew in endurance aswell. I started as the knight

You said in a previous post that you finished all other Souls games so you know whats good and what not, DS2 is no different. Since you leveled Dex get your hands on a Katana or some ****. Not sure how early you can get a Katana, but if you dont have one buy a Rapier off that Blacksmith bloke. Rapiers are super OP as a PvE weapons in Dark Souls 2. Actually in all Souls games

I heard the stats in ds 2 are different

The only real difference is that iframes and how long it takes to drink estus are determined by a stats this time. Adaptability is the one that has the greatest effect on them.

Depends on what weapon/build you're goin for.

Usually STR/DEX and then VIG or END. The rest are all for Magic...although I think DS2 has an ADP stat which is used for Poise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Souls virgin here. Currently having a great time with Bloodborne so Souls are definitely going to be added to the catalogue. The question is should I just get 3 or should I get this one also? I see this was PS3/360 also, is it a decent remaster?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Souls virgin here. Currently having a great time with Bloodborne so Souls are definitely going to be added to the catalogue. The question is should I just get 3 or should I get this one also? I see this was PS3/360 also, is it a decent remaster?

get the ps4 version as it includes the excellent DLC. However Dark Souls 1 and Demons Souls are probably better than DS2 and DS3. All are worth playing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

sweetie wrote: »
    get the ps4 version as it includes the excellent DLC. However Dark Souls 1 and Demons Souls are probably better than DS2 and DS3. All are worth playing though.

Nice one, just ordered both DS2 and 3 for €22.22. Prices I'd seen in shops here were a good bit more than that, ranging from €25 in Smyths for DS3 (which is perpetually out of stock) to €55 (Gamestop of course). I do love a bargain.

No. DS3 is the best.
    Definitely the best in terms of gameplay and graphics....basically everything except story (slightly)...but definitely the easiest to get into.
    For a long time 1 was my fave...but objectively...3 is the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

1 for me.

3 probably in second place.

Advertisement