Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'd have to agree with Sean that 3 is objectively the best IMO, I much prefer the first one though.

Bloodborne is the most fun though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

The fisrt one, the world ties together so well...and it was my first taste of the Souls series...which is why it holds a special place.

I really only started the Souls series in January, but it's all I've really played in the last few months...getting to NG++ on 1 and 2 , and NG+4 on DS3.

I did play in order, and they are all fresh in my mind as I still dip back into 1 during the weeks as I do with 3. But....1 is so slow and cumbersome after playing 3.

3 basically improved on everything in 1 and 2, and even managed to tie it's world together quite well. It's just not the new Genre-creating-new standard- defining game that 1 was. But it's probably still a better game to play.

If you have 1 and 3 sitting there...play 1 first. Going from 3 to 1 will be quite jarring for you....whereas 1 to 3 will feel like a natural progression...in terms of gameplay...AND more importantly...story and lore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My son is currently working through Demon's souls, and loving it.
    He thought DS3 was great but much easier than DS1, which is his favourite.
    He flew through BB as well
    But all the chatter about DS2 is giving him cause to leave it until last, though I've assured him that being the poorest Souls game still puts it head and shoulders above everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    My son is currently working through Demon's souls, and loving it.
    He thought DS3 was great but much easier than DS1, which is his favourite.
    He flew through BB as well
    But all the chatter about DS2 is giving him cause to leave it until last, though I've assured him that being the poorest Souls game still puts it head and shoulders above everything else.

Alot of people say three was easier than one but I can't think see it myself.

Dancer, lorian, dragonslayer armour, nameless. And soul of cinder all much tougher to me.

noodler wrote: »

Dancer, lorian, dragonslayer armour, nameless. And soul of cinder all much tougher to me.

I also thought 3 was the easiest, it's especially easy if coming off of other souls games where you are already in the mood and groove.

NG++ is a decent challenge I though.

I seen on Twitch some guy is trying to get to NG+999 . He's already on NG+250 or something.....:rolleyes::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

noodler wrote: »

I genuinely couldn't understand how anyone could see 3 as superior to 1. Dark Souls 1 has some of the highest-tier level design and atmosphere in any game since Super Metroid. It is truly one of the all-time classics. Dark Souls 3 is a fun game but it's the first in the series I had little interest playing twice and rides too heavily on the coattails of the previous titles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭GeorgeStobort

3 is easier than 1 if you summon to help but the bosses in 3 are much harder than 1's solo

I was playing DS2 on the PS3 but I decided to scrap my play through and get if for the PS4, is there any particular stats I should sump my souls in. I picked the knight class and so far have dumped all my souls in strength, I think im going to put the next few souls in my health and endurance 
    How do I cue the girl thats made of stone thats blocking access to a particular area?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

I was playing DS2 on the PS3 but I decided to scrap my play through and get if for the PS4, is there any particular stats I should sump my souls in. I picked the knight class and so far have dumped all my souls in strength, I think im going to put the next few souls in my health and endurance
    How do I cue the girl thats made of stone thats blocking access to a particular area?
    Adaptability is pretty important. It increases the amount of invulnerability you get during the roll animation and how quickly you use healing items.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

You get these items later in the game which you can use to cure petrification, you will see more statues like her throughout the game. Branch of yore the items are called if i recall correctly.

EDIT: Actually, theres an npc that sells one, the aul one merchant npc with the big massive bag on her back sells one.

• Advertisement

I'm in an area called doors of pharros . There's a rat boss I haven't beaten yet but there seems to be a load of doors to open and very few pharros lockstones . 1. Does killing the rat boss lead to the next area ? 2. Any way to get many pharros lockstones. 3 . Any of those doors I needs to specifically open that leads to the next area or a special item

No, that's an optional boss.

I'm fairly sure there's farming methods later in the game, possibly covenant related though.

I don't think you can get locked in by not having any of the lockstones.

Been 3+ years but I think that's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

J_E wrote: »
    I genuinely couldn't understand how anyone could see 3 as superior to 1. Dark Souls 1 has some of the highest-tier level design and atmosphere in any game since Super Metroid. It is truly one of the all-time classics. Dark Souls 3 is a fun game but it's the first in the series I had little interest playing twice and rides too heavily on the coattails of the previous titles.

I said tougher, not better.

Three is excellent, a return to form, but one is God.

I'm in an area called doors of pharros . There's a rat boss I haven't beaten yet but there seems to be a load of doors to open and very few pharros lockstones . 1. Does killing the rat boss lead to the next area ? 2. Any way to get many pharros lockstones. 3 . Any of those doors I needs to specifically open that leads to the next area or a special item

Yeah majority of the doors you can open there give little reward, its best just to kill the optional boss and move on in my opinion.

Not sure where to go next . I just killed the spider boss the dukes dear Freda

A few questions

I've killed Licia of Lindeldt. Was she supposed to open a new area of the game? How do you do it if she's dead ?

There's now a grave where I killed her . What's that for

How do I open those doors that ask me to produce a symbol of the king

A few questions

I've killed Licia of Lindeldt. Was she supposed to open a new area of the game? How do you do it if she's dead ?

She drops a key/tablet when you kill her, you can use it on an area near majula in a pillar to open a new area.

You pass it to get to the area she is in, Image of the room to jog your memory is Here

It might be in your inventory already if you killed/looted her, its called the Rotunda Lockstone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

The grave is a way for you to temporarily interact with a killed NPC, but they're expensive.

Don't worry about those doors too much yet, you probably don't have the item you need, you'll know when you have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Finished DS1 a few weeks ago and picked this up the other day on sale. Its been kicking my arse so far. Much tougher start than its predecessor.

Aye, the mobs are pretty hard up to the first boss or abouts I find

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Shockingly, I managed to complete a Dark Souls game in just over a week. While this particular game has difficult areas it's actually pretty handy. Only Boss to give me trouble was smelter Demon but I got there eventually albeit with 2 summoned NPC's. I thoroughly enjoyed this but found the normal enemies harder than bosses. In saying that I've just started the DLC and it seems much harder than main game. 2 bosses (elana in one and a someone's pet in the other) are tough on first impressions

Edit to add. I'm struggling to play other games. I've a sh!t load of stuff there that I start but then get bored with and go back to Souls or Bloodborne. Anyone experience similar? Does it pass?

Shockingly, I managed to complete a Dark Souls game in just over a week. While this particular game has difficult areas it's actually pretty handy. Only Boss to give me trouble was smelter Demon but I got there eventually albeit with 2 summoned NPC's. I thoroughly enjoyed this but found the normal enemies harder than bosses. In saying that I've just started the DLC and it seems much harder than main game. 2 bosses (elana in one and a someone's pet in the other) are tough on first impressions

Edit to add. I'm struggling to play other games. I've a sh!t load of stuff there that I start but then get bored with and go back to Souls or Bloodborne. Anyone experience similar? Does it pass?

Some of the DS2 bosses I didn't like at all.
    Many of them in the game were kind of just 1v1 battles against big guys.
    The game world also felt completely disjointed...compared to 1/3 ...still enjoyed it though.

With regards to getting bored with other games and going back to Souls....yeah....I was like this from January up until April.
    But I NG+d each game and NG +5 on DS3 by then.
    I've not touched DS in a while but will prob go back in the future.

You've played 3 ?

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Some of the DS2 bosses I didn't like at all.
    Many of them in the game were kind of just 1v1 battles against big guys.
    The game world also felt completely disjointed...compared to 1/3 ...still enjoyed it though.

With regards to getting bored with other games and going back to Souls....yeah....I was like this from January up until April.
    But I NG+d each game and NG +5 on DS3 by then.
    I've not touched DS in a while but will prob go back in the future.

You've played 3 ?

I one or two shotted the majority of bosses in 2. Think there was 5 out of the 30 or so that took more attempts and Smelter Demon was the only one I was frustrated on. Started 3,did great till Abyss Watchers so stopped. Stuck it on again last night and flew through the fight with them so will probably continue with that now.

I one or two shotted the majority of bosses in 2. Think there was 5 out of the 30 or so that took more attempts and Smelter Demon was the only one I was frustrated on. Started 3,did great till Abyss Watchers so stopped. Stuck it on again last night and flew through the fight with them so will probably continue with that now.

I found I levelled to quick in DS2.

I was well over lvl100 by mid game...finished at lvl 140 or something...whereas DS3 I end on 80ish.

DS3 is the way, definitely the most refined in the series.

So I have Scholar of the first sin on PS4. How different is it from the vanilla game? I. E. Is it worth getting the vanilla game if you have Scholar? Is there enough of a difference to warrant it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

So I have Scholar of the first sin on PS4. How different is it from the vanilla game? I. E. Is it worth getting the vanilla game if you have Scholar? Is there enough of a difference to warrant it?

Is Scholar not just the base game and all DLC?

SOTFS is the best one to have IMO, its all the DLC included

Other differences is a few mob/item locations are changed, nothing game breaking.

Oh and you cant get the original on PS4, just SOTFS

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Is Scholar not just the base game and all DLC?

There are some balance changes and access to some parts has been changed, eg there is a section of the tutorial area that is now opened at a later time in Scholar than vanilla iirc.

I wouldn't bother with the vanilla game in your shoes

• Advertisement

OK thanks lads. Emmet I believe there are different enemy placements that changes the game a bit but as posters have all confirmed not enough to make a difference. Was considering getting it on PS3 if it seemed worth it. I won't bother! I'll continue with The Last of Us here!

Advertisement