Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't think I've ever played this series as a graphical showcase, but more a testament to what an imaginative, consistent artstyle and focus on world design can achieve. Obviously it would be nice for it to be a graphical powerhouse as well, but with the exception of momentary frustrations like Blighttown frame-rate drops (and similar in Demons' Souls) the games are one hundred times more memorable visually than the empty tech demos that are Crysis or Killzone. In a way, murky presentation is even befitting the game's dank, gritty worldview.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,398 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I always thought Anor Londo and the Painted World (in particular were gorgeous looking).

Cannae wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Mallory Rancid Sunset

kiln of the first flame looked pretty cool as well

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

noodler wrote: »
    I always thought Anor Londo and the Painted World (in particular were gorgeous looking).

Cannae wait.

Agree with the only exception for me being lost izalith - thought the lava section of that looked crap. as long as the frame rate is ok Ill have no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

kiln of the first flame looked pretty cool as well

It's a pity there wasn't more to do there, thee's like 5 enemies and a boss

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

As long as we don't have a repeat of the blighttown frame rate issue I'll be happy if it looks the same as DS1

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

calex71 wrote: »
    As long as we don't have a repeat of the blighttown frame rate issue I'll be happy if it looks the same as DS1

Same, Blightown wouldnt have been so much of a nightmare if you could see what was going on and didnt move around at a snail's pace down there. for me Anor Londo, The Painted World and The Duke's Archives were the nicest looking areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

ASH LAKE MASTER RACE

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Mallory Rancid Sunset

krudler wrote: »
    It's a pity there wasn't more to do there, thee's like 5 enemies and a boss

It would have although i think park of it's charm was its desolation

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So I guess classes and stuff will be similar? I hope same system?

What people plan on going as first build? I think I will go my favourite: heavy feck off armour, 2hander great swords and a shield. "come at me Bro style!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

What people plan on going as first build? I think I will go my favourite: heavy feck off armour, 2hander great swords and a shield. "come at me Bro style!"

Gonna go with a Dual Swordsman, it is probably one of the biggest class changes being able to dual wield effectively, you can even dual wield greatswords and parry with swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Since i'll be new to this, probably whatever stops me from dying over and over... Which going by some comments the minimum I'll need is a Tank :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I might try the dual swordsman build but I'd feel naked without my shield and hardly ever used parry in DS1. I'd say my main build will be medium armour, quick sword and a greatshield when I get my hands on one. Not sure whether to pick Warrior or Knight first.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I might try the dual swordsman build but I'd feel naked without my shield and hardly ever used parry in DS1. I'd say my main build will be medium armour, quick sword and a greatshield when I get my hands on one. Not sure whether to pick Warrior or Knight first.

Dual wield looks and sounds cool, but as you said - I would feel naked without a shield myself too.
    I hope hovel ring alternative is nearby as I will put my ass in heaviest armour I can find :pac: . I just love to be a "**** truck"!

I actually stayed completely away from any game play videos and that dual wield video just made me very happy. Looks like its a lot more of the same - fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Xenji wrote: »
    Gonna go with a Dual Swordsman, it is probably one of the biggest class changes being able to dual wield effectively, you can even dual wield greatswords and parry with swords.
    Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Since i'll be new to this, probably whatever stops me from dying over and over... Which going by some comments the minimum I'll need is a Tank :pac:

Biggest armour I can find. Sword and board. Until I find a spear. Then its Turtle mode with occasional pokes at enemies. :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm actually going to try it with a dual wielding character first. I don't want to, as i know it'll be frustrating not relying on my shield as always, but always said i'd love to have it in the game...so now i have to follow through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Deprived to start then just go with the flow. Use whatever feels "right" at the time. Stamina drain seems to be more severe in this game compared to the last so ill probably pump alot of points into whatever increases it.

Then a Dual Wielder with a bow as a secondary since bow combat has been improved this time around.

Then a Paladin type character. Heavy armour, sword and board and miracles.

Then a heavy armour, lots of poise, lots of strength guy with the biggest weapons i can get my hands on.

Then a................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Deprived to start then just go with the flow. Use whatever feels "right" at the time. Stamina drain seems to be more severe in this game compared to the last so ill probably pump alot of points into whatever increases it.

Then a Dual Wielder with a bow as a secondary since bow combat has been improved this time around.

Then a Paladin type character. Heavy armour, sword and board and miracles.

Then a heavy armour, lots of poise, lots of strength guy with the biggest weapons i can get my hands on.

Then a................

Same here I'm a big fan of more swings for my sweat in dark souls :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Isn't this released in the US today?
    The lack of reviews is weird..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

It's not Tuesday there yet ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It is out tomorrow ( Tuesday ), review embargo is up either 00.00 PST time or 12.00 PST time Tuesday as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Going a sort of quality build to start with so I can try as many new weapons as possible and will settle on a dual-wield dex set-up with bows. Will have a shield on right hand quick swap as well however as I'm sure it will be needed at least for a first playthrough!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

What's this about losing a bit of max health every time you die?

I'm not a hardcore Dark Souls player, was this in DS1? Seems a bit annoying and discourages being experimental on trickier bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

quarryman wrote: »
    What's this about losing a bit of max health every time you die?

I'm not a hardcore Dark Souls player, was this in DS1? Seems a bit annoying and discourages being experimental on trickier bits.

It was in Demon Souls, but you lost like half your health in that. It wasn't in DS1.

You can restore it, and I think the non-respawning enemies will balance it out

It can't drop below a certain percentage either

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

A friend was telling me you can choose to drop below the maximum you can lose if you want a challenge. Apparently if you reverse hollowing you gain your health back.

Yeah the devs want you 'to WANT to be human as much as possible'. Too many people (myself included) stayed hollowed for most of DS1. I hear you can get a ring that gives you more HP while hollowed. When you die, your HP drops a bit and the more you die, the more it drops until reaching 50%.

In Demons Souls, you had to beat a boss to get your humanity back but at least you can do it yourself this time with an item and not just at a bonfire either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

In Demons Souls, you had to beat a boss to get your humanity back
    Or use a Stone of Ephemeral Eyes [/pedantic]

• Advertisement

Advertisement