Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ah, sure I've waited this long, i guess i can wait a few more days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    US PSN account is free. US PSN credit can be bougth digitally from playasia or amazon.

You don't even need to do that, you can directly top up the account on the SEN website with PayPal.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

CVG doing a poll on what they should live stream tonight DS2 or Titan Fall. DS2 has 80% of the vote so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭psugrue

still have no update on amazon regarding shipping of the game, hope it gets dispatched today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I'm watching a stream of DS2 and I'm reminded of one the awful loops you can get caught in; dying at a boss repeatedly because you want to retrieve your lost souls. Do you keep banging your head against a wall, attempting to beat the boss? Or do you sacrifice your souls in an attempt to level up elsewhere? Neither options look very appealing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,603 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i would normally keep trying the boss, and regaining the souls, if it's early in the game and the souls are hard to come by. But leveling up is meant to be handy in DS2 so I would probably give it the most of an hour, and if i am still getting hammered, go somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Grimebox wrote: »
    I'm watching a stream of DS2 and I'm reminded of one the awful loops you can get caught in; dying at a boss repeatedly because you want to retrieve your lost souls. Do you keep banging your head against a wall, attempting to beat the boss? Or do you sacrifice your souls in an attempt to level up elsewhere? Neither options look very appealing.

Rare Ring of sacrifice , made sure I had that on againt O+S (although I ruined it for myself watching a stream before I bought it so I knew it was coming)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Cotts72

A any plans for a release on Xbox one or is it still just rumours ?

Cotts72 wrote: »
    A any plans for a release on Xbox one or is it still just rumours ?

Devs said they aren't even thinking about next gen at the moment, doubt they will either until the next game.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I had a good nap and now I got a few thought on DS2 from few Reviews...

1. Enemies do not respawn when you kill them. You can Respawn all area if you use an item. I dont like this. In a lot of cases it was a stressful choice making for me: Bank all my souls or Keep going further. the more killed respawning enemies in particular section the better I was getting at it. at some points I would just steam roll them, because I was really good at them. Plus I do like to farm stuff now and then...

2. Bonfires are now... well.. fast travel teleporters. I really dont like this Idea one bit. The charm of Dark Souls was the Idea of very smart world design with connection between areas. Once you got unlimited teleport between section it becomes less fun. I know Dark Souls 1 has such feature later in the game, but it is very limited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

danthefan wrote: »
    You don't even need to do that, you can directly top up the account on the SEN website with PayPal.

You can't anymore, not for me anyway. I tried recently and because my paypal address is Irish I can't. And I can change/add an address on paypal but I'm not allowed change the country from Ireland. Any way around this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1. Enemies do not respawn when you kill them. You can Respawn all area if you use an item. I dont like this. In a lot of cases it was a stressful choice making for me: Bank all my souls or Keep going further. the more killed respawning enemies in particular section the better I was getting at it. at some points I would just steam roll them, because I was really good at them. Plus I do like to farm stuff now and then...

I think that you have to kill them a certain number of times before they are gone for good. I'm not particularly fond of it either but we'll see how it fits in with the game at release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I actually think the limited respawning enemy is an ingenious addition, in theory anyway. It's a way of making the game more accessible, but only slowly and fairly. It also limits the functionality of farming - which I'd imagine most of us indulged in (I took much advantage of those respawning Taurus Demons down in The Ruins). If it encourages players to forge ever onwards, I think it could work really well, instead of providing the safety blanket of a 'free souls' spot.

Obviously how this all works in game is another matter entirely, but it IMO sounds like a smart design decision anyway. Fast travel I'm a bit more on the fence about, but I'm encouraged to hear the later chapters of the game particularly require the same steady, careful and risky exploration as the previous games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

I think that you have to kill them a certain number of times before they are gone for good. I'm not particularly fond of it either but we'll see how it fits in with the game at release.

after killing certain enemies 15 times they don't respawn.. this is a bit of a game killer for me, part of the charm of dark souls was the backtracking and having to kill enemies over and over again.. Its like the makers don't want you to farm...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    after killing certain enemies 15 times they don't respawn.. this is a bit of a game killer for me, part of the charm of dark souls was the backtracking and having to kill enemies over and over again.. Its like the makers don't want you to farm...

You can put an item in the bonfire to regenerate them and they also become more difficult each time you do it.

I'll hold off judgement until I play the game. There was lots of changes to Demon's Souls formula that I thought I'd hate in Dark Souls but the whole thing just worked perfectly in the end. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

You can put an item in the bonfire to regenerate them and they also become more difficult each time you do it.

I'll hold off judgement until I play the game. There was lots of changes to Demon's Souls formula that I thought I'd hate in Dark Souls but the whole thing just worked perfectly in the end. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

that makes it sound abit better... my problem with dark souls was that I did so much farming that after about 150 hours of play time I was still only 3/4 of the way through the game....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I must admit, I gave dark souls a break and haven't been back in months. I reached a point where I couldn't take playing the same 20 minutes and then dying over and over again. It must have been 40 or 50 times. The sadistic amount of time between saves. I enjoyed it so much up to that point and I keep meaning to go back. Haven't touched the ps3 since then ;/

All this hype is making me interested again. Want to get DS2 on PC though, hope the port isn't crap again. I'm kinda jealous of the people with console versions now but at least 1 month is enough time to (hopefully) finish the first one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Doing really well in the reviews I see, the only one i've seen that is remotely negative is so because of performance issues on the PS3/Xbox360 (Which is suprising since I've always assumed there would be some reviewers that just wouldn't like its above average difficulty and gritty atmosphere)...

Content now to wait for the PC release knowing its a game worth any bit more waiting.

Oh...and as I predicted, there was only ever one winner of the "best game released on the 11th of March 2014" award ! :D

298110.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Both out this Friday, right? By the looks of it local gamestop is not doing midnight launch here. I would love to come over to get my Dark Souls while surrounded by titanfall people. When fella at the till will ask: "Do you have Titanfall preordered?" I would just go: "Titanfall? **** Titanfall, give me proper game! Dark Souls 2!" :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Magill wrote: »
    Oh...and as I predicted, there was only ever one winner of the "best game released on the 11th of March 2014" award ! :D

You didn't include the full picture :P

23i6wt5.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

You didn't include the full picture :P

23i6wt5.png

LOL, i didn't want to start a console riot !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Jebus Towerfall Ascension must be some game!

Holy **** dark souls ad just came on telly with the pixies where is my mind playing along with it. Friday where the **** are ya!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Holy **** dark souls ad just came on telly with the pixies where is my mind playing along with it. Friday where the **** are ya!!!

Sheehy please speak some sense?

And keep some mind for poor feckers like me who live in the country, I won't be getting it till Tuesday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Have game pre-ordered and I am so prepared to cry, sigh, die.

Sheehy please speak some sense?

And keep some mind for poor feckers like me who live in the country, I won't be getting it till Tuesday!

http://m.ie.ign.com/videos/2014/02/14/dark-souls-2-uk-cinema-spot

Could be worse man, you could be getting it on pc :D

Well balls to that, have to do some a job during the weekend and I'm down the country during the week working so only get the weekends to play on home consoles. Perfect timing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

sheehy83 wrote: »
    http://m.ie.ign.com/videos/2014/02/14/dark-souls-2-uk-cinema-spot

Could be worse man, you could be getting it on pc :D

Oh the PC version will be gracing my doorstep sometime in May! The elitists (That's you Sir Digby) made their choice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Well balls to that, have to do some a job during the weekend and I'm down the country during the week working so only get the weekends to play on home consoles. Perfect timing :rolleyes:

I'm in London working and my only console is sitting 500 miles away in Donegal, only have a gaming laptop with me here so think of us poor souls who have no option but to wait til April!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I decided to get a PSN points card on Amazon.com and get this early. Will probably get the PC version too so this character will be my prototype!

Advertisement