Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Anyone else accidentally kill the host with the Ballista when phantoming The Pursurer? :pac:

Give it time, there will be videos on YouTube of people who exclusively lure people to their deaths in that battle!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    No divine weapons in this game. Lightning scales with Faith this time. Also Dark scales with faith and int (I think).

What do you use on Skeletons this time? Or do you need to find the sorcerer controlling them? I hate skeletons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Lost count at this stage of how many times I've left the menu on screen and been attacked :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

calex71 wrote: »
    Lost count at this stage of how many times I've left the menu on screen and been attacked :(

I find it takes ages to bring up and close out of the menu, been caught a few times myself doing it.

Where's everyone finding all this titanite? I have a +5 bastard sword which is doing me well so far and a +4 fire sword. The lightning spear is pretty handy too for enemy chokepoints and dogs etc. Shield up and stabby stabby.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

chickenboy wrote: »
    What do you use on Skeletons this time? Or do you need to find the sorcerer controlling them? I hate skeletons.

Yep, kill the sorcerer. By the time I got to the skellies there were nowhere near as bad as in Dark Souls and I was one shotting them.

• Advertisement

Has anyone made it to The Gutter yet? what's the story with
    the giant spider in the cave? i walked in there and battered it but it just stood there, was it an npc?
    I just figured it was glitched so said screw it lol took the cheap win.

Am finding the difficulty is all over the place too, I guess since we're all new to it and don't have a route planned yet just wandering in and out of areas will do that. you're not quite sure what you're going to face or if you're totally under or overpowered for a new place you find. Like on DS1 I have my run through down pat so know where not to go until I have particular items.

so far the only things I don't like are the hitboxes can be a bit dodge, having to go back to Majula to level up is a minor annoyance and the menu takes too long to bring up if you're caught on the fly trying to change out a weapon but overall am loving it, the graphics took a major step up from the first game. I set the HUD to vanish so I can see more of the surroundings when I'm just wandering around too, some really pretty areas in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

krudler wrote: »
    Has anyone made it to The Gutter yet? what's the story with
    the giant spider in the cave? i walked in there and battered it but it just stood there, was it an npc?
    I just figured it was glitched so said screw it lol took the cheap win.

Yeah massive thing. It has to have some kind of significance because I doubt From would stick it in there just because. I smashed it too :D Need to reexplore the gutter because I just breezed right through it, but according to the bonfire travelling it's a later game area than when I went through it.

OdgeXD wrote: »
    Yeah massive Ant. It has to have some kind of significance because I doubt From would stick it in there just because. I smashed it too :D Need to reexplore the gutter because I just breezed right through it, but according to the bonfire travelling it's a later game area than when I went through it.

Oh it wasn't wha tI thought it was i didnt stick around long enough to count it's limbs lol I just hammered it. It's not a majorly difficult area with moss it's just a slog getting around. It's basically Blightown v2 with less lights. The torch is essential for it

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Anyone else find the Bellkeeper's covenant in
    The Lost Bastille
    ? I think it might be the new cat covenant.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Anyone else find the Bellkeeper's covenant in
    The Lost Bastille
    ? I think it might be the new cat covenant.

Yep it is and the area is pretty lively for pvp but you will get ganked. Co-op is fine in the game but pvp really needs an overhaul imo, it's completely biased against blood brothers and well ****, I wanna be a dick to noobs :(

Yep it is and the area is pretty lively for pvp but you will get ganked. Co-op is fine in the game but pvp really needs an overhaul imo, it's completely biased against blood brothers and well ****, I wanna be a dick to noobs :(

Get the white ring that makes you look like a friendly phantom, it's troll hilarity :D people really should pay more attention to the messages showing what's going on.

did anyone buy the medal that lets you blend into stuff, it's amazing :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Get the white ring that makes you look like a friendly phantom, it's troll hilarity :D people really should pay more attention to the messages showing what's going on.

I invaded to help a blue apostle yesterday and the phantom was white, he nearly fooled me.

I think there might be a covenant that makes your phantom look that colour too though, not sure.

Anyone find any embers yet byt?

Also, the sorcerer in no man's wharf and the guy at the start of huntsman's copse won't talk to me, is it a case of magic stats being too low or do i need a certain item?

And another thing, what's the deal with lighting sconces? I lit all of them in things betwixt and nothing happened :D

Got some nice ore off the snuggly the crow sort of nest in things betwixt btw,
    found 3 silky smooth stones somehwhere, just drop them in the nest and you're good to go, don't need to quit out like before.

It's getting invasions that's the problem. As far as I can tell you have to be in human form to use a cracked red eye orb or place a red sign soapstone, if you lose to someone you invade you go back to hollow again meaning you need another effigy to invade again. There's no permanent red eye orb so invasions are potentially limited unless you duel constantly which you can't do unless you have a token of spite. If you do invade every other covenant is set up in order to gank you. I dunno, but as far as I can tell they've purposely made the covenant **** in order to make the game nicer for non dickwraiths ¬¬

It's getting invasions that's the problem. As far as I can tell you have to be in human form to use a cracked red eye orb or place a red sign soapstone, if you lose to someone you invade you go back to hollow again meaning you need another effigy to invade again. There's no permanent red eye orb so invasions are potentially limited unless you duel constantly which you can't do unless you have a token of spite. If you do invade every other covenant is set up in order to gank you. I dunno, but as far as I can tell they've purposely made the covenant **** in order to make the game nicer for non dickwraiths ¬¬

That's lousy about no re-usable red orb, bit ridiculous you go hollow too, where you get the red soapstone from?

At least the red orbs work though, the blue never do.

Also, the sorcerer in no man's wharf and the guy at the start of huntsman's copse won't talk to me, is it a case of magic stats being too low or do i need a certain item?

And another thing, what's the deal with lighting sconces? I lit all of them in things betwixt and nothing happened :D

Got some nice ore off the snuggly the crow sort of nest in things betwixt btw,
    found 3 silky smooth stones somehwhere, just drop them in the nest and you're good to go, don't need to quit out like before.

Yeah you need a certain INT to get them to sell you things, like Big Hat in the first game he wouldn't talk to you properly if you have low INT.

The sconces thing I think is just waypoints/markers and you can use them to relight the torch instead of going back to bonfires.

I didnt realise that about snuggly or whatever he's called in this, i went to the bonfire and came back that's handy.

Yeah you need a certain INT to get them to sell you things, like Big Hat in the first game he wouldn't talk to you properly if you have low INT.

The sconces thing I think is just waypoints/markers and you can use them to relight the torch instead of going back to bonfires.

I didnt realise that about snuggly or whatever he's called in this, i went to the bonfire and came back that's handy.

I know you need to light McDuffs sconce to get him to move to his anvil so you can acces the chest so thought the others might have some significance too.

Good grief Flame Swathe is so OP. Just one hit a guy who was at 75%, 1k+ damage from a +3 dark pyro glove

What soul level are people? I'm at Hunts man now, have had a look around and have checked out .... not beaten two bosses. I'm at lvl 80 or so and finding now summon signs are a hell of a lot fewer in this area.

Crossing the bridge to undead purgatory .... oh look treasure .... I rolled instead of jumped :(

What soul level are people? I'm at Hunts man now, have had a look around and have checked out .... not beaten two bosses. I'm at lvl 80 or so and finding now summon signs are a hell of a lot fewer in this area.

Crossing the bridge to undead purgatory .... oh look treasure .... I rolled instead of jumped :(

There's some under that bridge too i haven't tried for it yet though, you can see it from the bonfire

• Advertisement

Think I'm around the 65 mark, just ventured in there last night, rolled off a cliff and gave up for the night.

I'm a bit weary about leveling up as I want to still be able to summon and invade.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

This seems to flow better than the other Souls games, pace wise.

Just lost 12900 souls which wasn't nice...

That's lousy about no re-usable red orb, bit ridiculous you go hollow too, where you get the red soapstone from?

At least the red orbs work though, the blue never do.

Get it from the covenant leader.

Level 98, trying some pvp in the belfry. Rapiers everywhere

Oh my, just had an interesting conversation with a new NPC regarding our jolly pal Pate.

Made me half realise then that
    he may have trapped us in the forest that time, thought nothing of it at the time just though the gate was trapped or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

I dunno, but as far as I can tell they've purposely made the covenant **** in order to make the game nicer for non dickwraiths ¬¬

I'm happy with the route it's gone. If you think about it, people who don't want to PvP typically are not very good at it, and essentially are easy kills for those who do want to PvP, and are typically strong at it. I include myself in the former, I've no interest in PvP, it's completely the PvE game and co-op in which I'm interested. So making the PvP covenant weaker against non-PvP covenants is essentially a balancing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Had a lot of fun with the bell tower defense covenant. Really nice way to pick up titanite chunks as well. Killed a few people. Died a hell of a lot more. Really starting to like miracles now, they've helped me loads. I have a miracle called emit force which is ok in PvE but in PvE it's excellent. It comes out pretty fast and on top of that if it misses there's a good chance it will cause some pretty significant splash damage. Really makes the noobies panic :)

From Software were being particularly evil with the
    bell gargoyle boss there. There's so many of them. I beat them eventually but it was a very tense fight.

I have to say I've very disappointed in the visuals of the game. Drangleic just is no where near as interesting as Lordran or some of the levels in even Demon's Souls (so far at least). Only the place with lots of poison looked interesting but then it looked like something out of another game, like a mix of valkyria chronicles and ico.

The lighting system just seems so bland in comparison to those two games, it's very basic unless you have a torch. It's very PS2 era with no torch. No real use of soft focus, corona's or bloom. It's all very flat.

Other than the visuals though I do think it's a superb game so far but not on par with the original at this stage.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I have to say I've very disappointed in the visuals of the game. Drangleic just is no where near as interesting as Lordran or some of the levels in even Demon's Souls (so far at least). Only the place with lots of poison looked interesting but then it looked like something out of another game, like a mix of valkyria chronicles and ico.

The lighting system just seems so bland in comparison to those two games, it's very basic unless you have a torch. It's very PS2 era with no torch. No real use of soft focus, corona's or bloom. It's all very flat.

Other than the visuals though I do think it's a superb game so far but not on par with the original at this stage.

I quite like the graphics but more for the framerate than anything else, it varies in certain areas but when you're indoors its way higher than the first game was. some places look nicer than others though. The character models too although it took a while to get used to the floatyness of the combat which was super tight in the first one, you could judge hits down to the second whereas I was totally mistiming rolls and dodges at the beginning of this.

I'm happy with the route it's gone. If you think about it, people who don't want to PvP typically are not very good at it, and essentially are easy kills for those who do want to PvP, and are typically strong at it. I include myself in the former, I've no interest in PvP, it's completely the PvE game and co-op in which I'm interested. So making the PvP covenant weaker against non-PvP covenants is essentially a balancing.

Yeah but the point of me being a darkwraith is to invade your world and kill you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

Oh my, just had an interesting conversation with a new NPC regarding our jolly pal Pate.

Made me half realise then that
    he may have trapped us in the forest that time, thought nothing of it at the time just though the gate was trapped or something

If you visit another NPC and have a chat, he muddies the water some more. I'm not sure who to believe. If you want to know, its
    the cartographer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Just picked it up now and came across my first big decision.
    What will I call my character.

Given the nature of the game, I decided "Sean Bean" would be apt.

Go Beyond Death!

Advertisement