Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

quarryman wrote: »
    Losing max health when you die is an absolutely idiotic gameplay mechanic.

Was the same in Demon's Souls, it's to make you not rush back to areas and be reckless, the series is big on making players learn from their mistakes, having to go through an area multiple times with less health each time definitely makes me not rush it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Quick question and apologies if its already been asked but having not played Dark Souls 1 or 2, would people recommend that I start with DS1?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Love it myself. It's never that bad and like demons souls you get a ring to reduce it to 75% so it's not much of a handicap. If you are dying on a boss with 75% health you would have died at 100%. It promotes co-op and using effigies as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

joe123 wrote: »
    Quick question and apologies if its already been asked but having not played Dark Souls 1 or 2, would people recommend that I start with DS1?

Start with 2. It starts off much more forgiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

joe123 wrote: »

I would say start with dark souls 2, then play dark souls 1 and then 'try' demons souls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Wait I just got given all of
    Pates
    gear even the ring :eek:

Walked through a door there he was chatted to him , says there you go have these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

It's genius, and a really necessary mechanic to be honest. Dark Souls didn't give you any penalty for constantly dying over and over, despite losing souls which you could recover. It made my playing sloppy sometimes because I just didn't care. Now there's a higher value placed on staying alive and being careful, and I find it a lot more fun to play, more paranoid and thrilling not knowing what's around the corner, and limited effigies. (although...there is a way to 'cheat' this mechanic altogether and stay human, along with keeping your souls.. It's obviously not a bug because it's intentional, but I wonder if they meant it to be as easy as it is?)
    calex71 wrote: »
    Wait I just got given all of
    Pates
    gear even the ring

Walked through a door there he was chatted to him , says there you go have these.
    Got that too. I was feeling paranoid at that stage
    and killed him there and then, lol. Got a second copy of his shield funnily enough! His partner somewhere else in the game told me that he's a liar, killed them both...hope I didn't miss a great treasure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

According to that stone column in Majula there's apparently been 49 million deaths?
    Could that be true?

Going is slow for me, way behind everyone, playing as sorcerer so trying to get used to not having a shield.

A map would he helpful just to see all areas linking together.

Usual souls stuff I guess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Sun Bro-ing it up and the Smelter Demon really is rock hard, most hosts have themselves and 2 others for him and he is still very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

Some good loot in black gulch. Just watch out for puddles and statues!

Gonna nope the feck away from that boss though!

• Advertisement

Sun Bro-ing it up and the Smelter Demon really is rock hard, most hosts have themselves and 2 others for him and he is still very difficult.
    Having the NPC phantom is helpful. I reckon he's better dealt with using magic than melee. It's possible to fight him out with a weapon but you need a shield with both good fire and physical defense, and back the hell away if he looks ready to do his AOE attack. (area of effect)
    chickenboy wrote: »
    Some good loot in black gulch. Just watch out for puddles and statues!

Gonna nope the feck away from that boss though!
    I was so freaked out by that boss until
    I realised rolling is a really effective way of avoiding all of his attacks, it just became a game of endurance then.
    Do you happen to know hot to get to the alcove above, nearby the path to the boss? Seen other players wandering around there, no idea how.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Is there much more reward for co-op depending on the covenant you're in?

krudler wrote: »
    Is there much more reward for co-op depending on the covenant you're in?

I don't know if this works for all but I'm a Sun Bro and I can place my soapstone even though I'm hollow and even when I die as a phantom I keep all the souls I picked up so I'm getting a tonne.

You also get a sunlight medal each time you kill a boss. Rewards are 10, 20 and 30 I think.

Is it just me or is the gear in not as good as dark souls 1 , and there seems to be a lot less of it, in DS1 there were many sets you would chop and change between for blightown etc for the poison resistance.

Armour and shields in general done seem to have any special buffs tieds to them so far at all , like the grass shield etc.

Edit: I do love my Manikin Mask though :D

Looks like blue eye orbs are fixed for me.

In other news though...constantly ganked in invasions, it's super annoying.

Anyone been back to things betwixed ?

I just got the second best weapon in the game .... 1st being the pirate hook

talk to the maid girl and get a fine
    Handmaid's Ladle
    :mad:

Still it worked for killing them all , I got 6 effigies off the lead old bags corpse :)

calex71 wrote: »
    Anyone been back to things betwixed ?

I just got the second best weapon in the game .... 1st being the pirate hook

talk to the maid girl and get a fine
    Handmaid's Ladle
    :mad:

Still it worked for killing them all , I got 6 effigies off the lead old bags corpse :)

Hahaha, did they put up a fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Had a poor night tonight. I did played only 4 hours today though :pac:

Killed only that skeleton boss, which was not too hard.
    Found another boss, but I am pretty sure this one is important. Can't beat him yet, but I did got him to half hp on first try by just abusing throwing knifes and phantom for distraction... Not the way I want to beat bosses...

So I finally got that dude who sells weapons for souls. I am a bit underwhelmed to say the least. Any recommendations? I am high street heavy armour user. Was thinking pursuers great sword? It's damage sucks though, or is it scales better then great sword?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

And got em. Smelter down. Took a break, came back and rofl stomped him. I applied some magic to my lightning axe for more damage. :) Bit of a weird mechanic tho. I can't apply bleed, magic, lightning powder, etc. to my fire sword.....but I can apply it to my lightning axe. Bizarre.

Deffo the hardest boss. By far. I've cleared several bosses and areas that are "further" in the game than him but he caused me the most trouble. I cleared blightown 2.0 without a bother, even lighting the whole place as I went but that bloody smelter ground me to a halt.

Trying to drop stuff in the Things Betwixt next, is it you go into your inventory and select discard or what? Can't seem to get it to work...

• Advertisement

Trying to drop stuff in the Things Betwixt next, is it you go into your inventory and select discard or what? Can't seem to get it to work...
    Not discard, that gets rid of it! Use leave. Works in Inventory menu.

Lit every thingy in Things Betwixt, no trophy :( I am disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,399 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I am still at the lost Giants early area. Helped someone kill the Last Giant earlier but still need to do it myself.

1) Game seems a bit floaty compared to DS1, mechanics dont seem as tight. Game is also a little uglier maybe? Bit of screen judder as well??

2) I am a member of the blue sentienels and have the ring equipped but nothing so far? I also havent been invaded yet and I am trying to stay human form as often as possible (but dont think that matter this time).

3) What are the torches for? I have collected loads but cant see them in my inventory.

4) I got an item for helping someone with co-op but not sure what it does either.

Rocking a plain old shortsword +3 at the moment. Started as explorer so crap stats but lots of items I don't fully understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Whacked 5 bosses today, just at a place called
    The Doors of Pharos now after beating that Scorpion Woman type thing.
    The blacksmith in Majula is all out of titanite, I could KILL for more titanite right now. I really need to upgrade my stuff. Anywhere I could farm some?

noodler wrote: »
    I am still at the lost Giants early area. Helped someone kill the Last Giant earlier but still need to do it myself.

1) Game seems a bit floaty compared to DS1, mechanics dont seem as tight. Game is also a little uglier maybe? Bit of screen judder as well??

2) I am a member of the blue sentienels and have the ring equipped but nothing so far? I also havent been invaded yet and I am trying to stay human form as often as possible (but dont think that matter this time).

3) What are the torches for? I have collected loads but cant see them in my inventory.

4) I got an item for helping someone with co-op but not sure what it does either.

Rocking a plain old shortsword +3 at the moment. Started as explorer so crap stats but lots of items I don't fully understand.

I'd say restart as a different class , I had all kinds of hurt with the explorer. In 30 minutes you would be up to the point you would be with 3 hours clocked up as explorer, and you can buy the explorer hood early on , in the 3rd area if i recall. Also from my experience so far I would say hollow right up to the boss fog as the effigies are in very short supply and I wasted a tonne early :(

Whacked 5 bosses today, just at a place called
    The Doors of Pharos now after beating that Scorpion Woman type thing.
    The blacksmith in Majula is all out of titanite, I could KILL for more titanite right now. I really need to upgrade my stuff. Anywhere I could farm some?

Shards? The fat lads with hammers drop them fairly consistently in havest valley on the route to the boss there.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The online seems buggered tonight.

Ok so I'm in the crappy place, forget what it's called, the place before the Gulch, the only bonfire I have is the starting one, but it seems I can see one. But no idea how to get to it??

I can get to the gulch fine but it just sucks not having a closer bonfire.

Edit - Nvm, got it, fell down somewhere and landed there randomly! Typical!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I read someone here has the buster sword. I looked it up and the ultra greatsword is actually clouds buster sword, where the hell do I get one? ?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Skeleton lords are driving me mental. Running out of effigies and nobody I summon is smart enough to take out one lord at a time so we don't get overwhelmed. :mad:

Advertisement