Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Got Ricards Rapier last night and i love it. Really quick attack, and i can use it from behind a shield as well.

Good thing i found it though, as it's the first weapon I've found in about 10 hours that isn't a bog standard shortsword or curved sword. Also not finding any titanite shards to upgrade my weapons or armour, and the Blacksmith is all out. Is there anywhere to farm them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's another vendor later that sells more.

I need to stop reading this thread, I won't be able to play this again until Friday due to work :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

I'm sure I was getting titanite from the small mummies in the last bastille. Also, if you have smooth and silky stones, I think there's a chance of getting some from the crows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Kiith wrote: »
    Got Ricards Rapier last night and i love it. Really quick attack, and i can use it from behind a shield as well.

Good thing i found it though, as it's the first weapon I've found in about 10 hours that isn't a bog standard shortsword or curved sword. Also not finding any titanite shards to upgrade my weapons or armour, and the Blacksmith is all out. Is there anywhere to farm them?

Rapiers are godlike in this game. They attack so fast for so much damage at a very low stamina cost. Big damage versus armoured foes also. And let's face it, armoured enemies are some of the toughest in the game. Got Ricards also but couldn't be arsed leveling up another rapier. Love the flashy R2 though.

Only bad thing is if you get swarmed by enemies it can be tough since its kinda a single target weapon. Estoc is a longer rapier with a horizontal slash on the R2.

Am I a rapier fanboy ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Using Ricsrds rapier as well, it's great but got me killed a few times as it has a habit of thrusting away to the left of where you're aiming.

Keep pushing through huntsman copse, the next area has enemies that drop shards (green guys with hammers) and a merchant that sells them.

Earthen peak reminds me a bit of sens. Total maze of a place though, also met the Irish guy last night :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's another vendor later that sells more.

I need to stop reading this thread, I won't be able to play this again until Friday due to work :'(

Argghh!!

So depressing this life lark!

I really needed a week off to play this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

There's definitely an irony to the fact you play as an undead character but also benefit from having no life in in real life to play the game enough...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've always wondered if it was the developers intention to have hollowing relate to people giving up on the game since in the games lore it refers to an undead that has lost all hope. It's a bit meta and stinks of reading into it too much like some undergrad thesis but when it comes to From Software I wouldn't be surprised if it was intentional.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I've always wondered if it was the developers intention to have hollowing relate to people giving up on the game since in the games lore it refers to an undead that has lost all hope. It's a bit meta and stinks of reading into it too much like some undergrad thesis but when it comes to From Software I wouldn't be surprised if it was intentional.

Well, dark souls story telling and universe was introduced very cleverly. A huge difference from spoon feeding story in all current games. Until I sow that dark souls story animation video I only understood part of Wtf going in.
    So yeah, most likely hallow was a good meta thing as you say. I bet a good part of people won't get it lol.

On other note: I think I found the irish guy people talk about. Now as most of you know, I am not irish, but I live here for good few years now. So I find it very interesting how holiwood and video games make irish accent.. I am no expert, but surely irish accent does not sound like fecking that?!

I'm guessing he has a Darby O'Gill/Lucky Charms accent then?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Well, dark souls story telling and universe was introduced very cleverly. A huge difference from spoon feeding story in all current games. Until I sow that dark souls story animation video I only understood part of Wtf going in.
    So yeah, most likely hallow was a good meta thing as you say. I bet a good part of people won't get it

I think this game and demons souls did the story thing better, the first game was obtuse to the point of not having much of a story imo, when the lore is as interesting as this it shouldn't be confined to YouTube vids of fan theories, their should be a bit of a balance, so far I think ds2 gets the balance a bit better.

I've got no idea what's going on in the game. I'm pretty sure i'm cursed, and have to collect some big souls, but that's about it...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The story seems a little more transparent, but just a little. The melting mother and child at the start scared the **** out of me though :eek:

By the way, what's the story with the limited edition plaque (out of 2500) that came with Black Armour? An amazon exclusive?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

By the way, what's the story with the limited edition plaque (out of 2500) that came with Black Armour? An amazon exclusive?

Good question.

I initially thought it meant there were only 2,500 Black Armour editions but obviously that can't be right!

The plaque thingis nice. What enemy did you get on the back of your one?

I don't recognise the guy on the back of mine yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Kiith wrote: »
    I've got no idea what's going on in the game. I'm pretty sure i'm cursed, and have to collect some big souls, but that's about it...

Yeah, I'm finding the plot extremely vague and it's a little annoying. At least in DS1 you knew what was going on around you on a surface level.

I'm totally confused about the story as well and I've been paying attention to items and exhausting NPC dialogue. I thought DS1 was more transparent. You knew you were undead and your destiny was to kindle the first flame to extend it and you knew the basic lore behind different places you visited. It was the extended lore that gave more insight that was hidden away which made sense. You could blindly carry out your duty as the undead but you could if you paid attention look into the lore more and learn the true meaning of everything.

DS2 though. Not got a clue what is going on but there's firekeepers and the first flame was mentioned. I'm an undead that has come to Drangleic because of tales that the cure for undeath is here. That's all I've gotten.

I thought the story would be more accessible, it's much more obtuse than DS1!

Anyone else think Drangleic actually might be Lordran? Lots of NPCs keep alluding to the place having many names in the past.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Anyone else think Drangleic actually might be Lordran? Lots of NPCs keep alluding to the place having many names in the past.

I found really interesting what Soul weapon vendor ( mage dude, Straid? ) has said. There were more then few kingdoms in this place already and that he is not even from the last one and was turned in stone a lot longer then we think.

I found really interesting what Soul weapon vendor ( mage dude, Straid? ) has said. There were more then few kingdoms in this place already and that he is not even from the last one and was turned in stone a lot longer then we think.

Yeah it was him that really got me thinking too, I get the impression the first game was hundreds of years ago if not thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

I agree with the vague storyline. Not really sure what I'm doing, other than hunting for 4 boss souls.

The other thing DS1 did was give you the vaguest of hints as to what to expect. I completely missed it on my first playthrough, but as an example, you were warned about the capra demon by reading descriptions. Now I just head into the fog without any expectations. Was there anything that gave away that you were heading for the lost sinner or the skeleton bosses?

• Advertisement

chickenboy wrote: »
    I agree with the vague storyline. Not really sure what I'm doing, other than hunting for 4 boss souls.

The other thing DS1 did was give you the vaguest of hints as to what to expect. I completely missed it on my first playthrough, but as an example, you were warned about the capra demon by reading descriptions. Now I just head into the fog without any expectations. Was there anything that gave away that you were heading for the lost sinner or the skeleton bosses?

Its funny how they were saying about making dark souls 2 story simpler and more mainstream, but instead, it is even more vague lol.

The sinner was a puzzle for me. I did not even knew he was important until I killed him and got bazilion souls with a different looking souls. I hope there will be some sort of reveal on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Hollowing is meant to be a drawn out process so it'd fit in with the idea of it, you're dead but not really and become more dead the more often you die, or something...

Yep, I definitely got that impression, many references, I've found both the Leo ring and Hawk ring, wonder if the other 2 are hidden in the game.

(by the way, I recommend visiting the fiery bottom in the Forest of Fallen Giants castle if you're stronger. The lizards below are fiercely powerful but there are ways around them. There's a few treasures at the bottom worth having.)

Cydoniac wrote: »
    (by the way, I recommend visiting the fiery bottom in the Forest of Fallen Giants castle if you're stronger. The lizards below are fiercely powerful but there are ways around them. There's a few treasures at the bottom worth having.)

I spent an hour trying to find the way down, how you get there? Spoiler the reply I suppose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I spent an hour trying to find the way down, how you get there? Spoiler the reply I suppose :)

I'm going to assume you need that cat ring you buy... well.. off the cat. :pac:

Oh, it's fairly straight forward, but not obvious at first.
    where you found the fire longsword, there's a lizard shooting fireballs. Kill him and jump into the area he occupied. You want to be very careful though because there's another lizard nearby and they charge very heavily. I sniped the rest of them with a bow. For your efforts you get a Flame Quartz Ring +1, Hawk Ring, and a few other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

tok9 wrote: »
    I'm going to assume you need that cat ring you buy... well.. off the cat. :pac:

That ring is handy, I died a few times trying to get down the well though it's not advisable to do it if you're hollow and on less health

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

The spawns for the invaders in the belfry are out right annoying , lost count of how many times I've been at the boss fog waiting to summon or be summoned and I get invaded , fine I'll have some jolly fisticuffs , but then to have another spawn right behind you and one shot you is just a cheap win for them :mad:

krudler wrote: »
    That ring is handy, I died a few times trying to get down the well though it's not advisable to do it if you're hollow and on less health
    It's actually just about doable without that ring but you're really chancing it unless you have high health, a lot of estus and a knack for long jumps.
    calex71 wrote: »
    The spawns for the invaders in the belfry are out right annoying , lost count of how many times I've been at the boss fog waiting to summon or be summoned and I get invaded , fine I'll have some jolly fisticuffs , but then to have another spawn right behind you and one shot you is just a cheap win for them
    They're bad enough in Belfry Luna but in the other place they make you want to rip your hair out! I find dashing through that area is best.

• Advertisement

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Oh, it's fairly straight forward, but not obvious at first.
    where you found the fire longsword, there's a lizard shooting fireballs. Kill him and jump into the area he occupied. You want to be very careful though because there's another lizard nearby and they charge very heavily. I sniped the rest of them with a bow. For your efforts you get a Flame Quartz Ring +1, Hawk Ring, and a few other things.

I spent like 20 minutes jumping there, and couldn't get in. Figured it was a dead end :pac:

Also, i've died about 20 times in Huntsmans Corpse, trying to jump onto that ledge near the 2nd bonfire with the item. I keep rolling off the bloody ledge. It bloody better be worth it when i spend another hour trying to get it tonight.

Advertisement