Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Very tempted to respec into a more Str build, as i'd love to be able to wield a greatshield and heavy weapon. I started as a swordsman, but it's near impossible to not use a shield. Have been using a bog standard medium shield for a while not. Not quite as exciting, but a hell of a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Kiith wrote: »
    Very tempted to respec into a more Str build, as i'd love to be able to wield a greatshield and heavy weapon. I started as a swordsman, but it's near impossible to not use a shield. Have been using a bog standard medium shield for a while not. Not quite as exciting, but a hell of a lot easier.

I'm finding the Drangleic Shield to be very good well into the mid game. Trying to farm the Gyrm shield atm but I fear I won't have the STR for it :( Blocks 100 phys and 100 fire, good for that pesky Smelter Demon!! Still can't beat him :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Anyone know the location of a Great Shield? I am just at the start of harvest place but don't mind going back lookjng for one.

You can pick up a Tower Shield in a chest in the Cathedral of Blue
    just after fighting Ornstein (No sign of his fat friend Smough this time around thank God :)

The merchant in Majula also sells a Twin Dragon Greatshield. It's the shield I'm currently using and it's pretty good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Made it to the Keep, neither the Valley or Earthen Peak were anywhere near as nasty as I had feared :) Did encounter the latter's mimic though - I did not miss those little bastards!

Hardest part of either was trying to get the poison broadsword - nasty little jump, and kept rolling off the edge everytime I made it. Finally managed it - the bonus human effigy was much needed!

Gavlan Wheel, Gavlan Deal! Hahaha, love that guy

• Advertisement

So my Blacksteel Katana is at +10, no I'm wondering can you make that a +15? Or do you just make it a raw weapon using McDuff? Just wondering what the most effective route to go will be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

So my Blacksteel Katana is at +10, no I'm wondering can you make that a +15? Or do you just make it a raw weapon using McDuff? Just wondering what the most effective route to go will be!

+10 is max for most if not all items I think, how high will dex stat be before it stops effecting it I wonder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,843 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

You can pick up a Tower Shield in a chest in the Cathedral of Blue
    just after fighting Ornstein (No sign of his fat friend Smough this time around thank God :)

The merchant in Majula also sells a Twin Dragon Greatshield. It's the shield I'm currently using and it's pretty good.

Ah I forgot to go back to heides Tower to go that way, I fought him near the start if the game, id say id take him now. No fat bastard bodyguard this time!

I saw that twin dragon shield alright but thought I saw it wasn't 100 physical? Bizarre if true that agreat shield can't fully block an attack.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,281 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

calex71 wrote: »
    +10 is max for most if not all items I think, how high will dex stat be before it stops effecting it I wonder ?

I asked that on Reddit today and this was the best answer I got:
    For all attack stats, it's still 40. In the case for the dark BNS for hexes and Fire BNS for pyromancy, they have different caps than those. Dark BNS soft cap is whhen you reach 30int and 30 faith while the soft cap for Fire BNS is when you reach a combined level of int and faith of 60. Also, people tend to go a little higher with int and faith when making pure sorceries or miracle builds to get access to the best specific catalysts.
    For the other stats, Vigor gives 30hp per point until 20, 20hp per point until 50 and 5hp for every point after that. Endurance gives 2 stamina per point until 20 and 1 point per point after that. Vitality gives 1.5 increase to max weight per point until 29, 1 per point until 49, 0.5 per point until 79 and 0.5 per two points after that.
    For attunement, you get an additionnal slot at 10, 13, 16, 20, 25, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 75. Adaptability is mostly used for agility which has a soft cap at 110. Agility increases with attunement and adaptability, so you should get attunement to whatever you want and then reach 110 agility with adaptability. If you do not raise attunement, you'll reach 110 agility at 38 adaptability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Well it depends on your build. If your dex heavy the standard upgrade path is best because that katana has a S rank in scaling. In the last game I think raw lowered or removed scaling drastically but increases base damage. Good for someone who doesn't have much points in the 4 main stats. The other upgrades like lightning and dark lower STR and DEX scalings but add INT or FAI or both. Unlike the last game where you just meet the req to equip the weapon then turn it into a lightning weapon and you get huge damage without investing in stats. This system is much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Made it to the Keep, neither the Valley or Earthen Peak were anywhere near as nasty as I had feared :) Did encounter the latter's mimic though - I did not miss those little bastards!

Hardest part of either was trying to get the poison broadsword - nasty little jump, and kept rolling off the edge everytime I made it. Finally managed it - the bonus human effigy was much needed!

Which jump? I have a feeling, that I know which one, but still. I am next to a Boss
    The poison headless chick, she looks easy, but I need to check if I got some items to block poison build up at least for little bit.

I've attemted the Smelter Demn so many times that there are now no enemies left between the bonfire and his fog game, ffs. I do fine on him til he puts is sword on fire then his fire damage just destroys me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

I've attemted the Smelter Demn so many times that there are now no enemies left between the bonfire and his fog game, ffs. I do fine on him til he puts is sword on fire then his fire damage just destroys me.

Someone spoiled this boss for me over the weekend. I thought it was genius when i heard it but sickened i didn't get to figure it for myself. I haven't got to him yet so im not sure how to but try
    cover yourself in water

Someone spoiled this boss for me over the weekend. I thought it was genius when i heard it but sickened i didn't get to figure it for myself. I haven't got to him yet so im not sure how to but try
    cover yourself in water

How exactly would one do that? :P General question to the thread! Ideas?

Not a clue. I don't think im far off him myself so ill get to give it a go soon enough

Went back to the dragon slayer, mauled him. Shadow if his former self really, lovely tower shield just need one more str level to use it. Im level 70 and only have one great soul. Didn't even get to this level when I finished ds 1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Went back to the dragon slayer, mauled him. Shadow if his former self really, lovely tower shield just need one more str level to use it. Im level 70 and only have one great soul. Didn't even get to this level when I finished ds 1

Did you use your great souls to level up? I've a few myself but not sure what to do.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,281 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Power Stancing Ricards Rapier +10 and Flame Uchi +10 in the Belfry :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Weirdest thing , I did a few co-op sessions i was human throughout while being summoned, and I just noticed there because of the marker on the health bar that I'm hollow, I didn't die :confused:

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Did you use your great souls to level up? I've a few myself but not sure what to do.

No, don't wanna touch the boss souls just in case. I thought the great souls would work like the lord souls in the last game as in I would have to give them to someone or put them somewhere.

Tried to get that treasure Under the bridge in huntsmans copse, finally made the jump to find I needed to land on the exact raised part. Bastard! Although I did end up finding other treasures like ricards rapier even though I'm not going the dex route so can't use it.

• Advertisement

Use the Pharros Stone. Im still getting pummelled but the fire sword isn't 1 hit kill anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Power Stancing Ricards Rapier +10 and Flame Uchi +10 in the Belfry :eek:

Power stancing Black Knight Ultra Greatsword and Persuers Ultra Great Sword...Lord have mercy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

WTF is this Power Stancing thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

lol same happened to me till I decided to put away my shield and just rolled over all his moves

funny enough alot of his pierce attacks had my character glitching all over the place.

one had me stuck to a wall , the other when I rolled onto his shoulder and landed back down again and my personal fav was when I rolled he hit me all the way across the otherside of the room and I took no damage

only advice I can offer is dodge his moves by rolling , timing is crucial and when I finally got his moves down I was already victorious :L

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

WTF is this Power Stancing thing?

It's a stance for dual wielders, hold triangle while dual wielding and you attack with both weapons. Ultra offensive but you sacrifice pretty much all defence. It's amazing

Would you say that the best way to roll is t wait until the last possible second or as early as possible or? I still can't seem it get it down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Ah I forgot to go back to heides Tower to go that way, I fought him near the start if the game, id say id take him now. No fat bastard bodyguard this time!

I saw that twin dragon shield alright but thought I saw it wasn't 100 physical? Bizarre if true that agreat shield can't fully block an attack.

Yeah it only blocks 95% of physical damage. Still though it's miles better than that crappy little wooden Parma shield I had earlier on and it has a mean bash attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Would you say that the best way to roll is t wait until the last possible second or as early as possible or? I still can't seem it get it down

get up close and when he is mid swing roll , he has a delay swing that will punish you if you roll to early , his pierce is pretty straightforward and the jump he does it be best to either quick block or roll backwards If I recall correctly

once you grasp it its merely all by feeling and you have no trouble by then

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Which jump? I have a feeling, that I know which one, but still. I am next to a Boss
    The poison headless chick, she looks easy, but I need to check if I got some items to block poison build up at least for little bit.

It's the one near Pate, where you jump over to the path with the snipers near the first bonfire.

Oh, and there's a way to make that fight much easier. Have a look for summon signs or hints near the second bonfire, they'll put you on the right track :)

Or if you want a spoiler:
    Burn the windmill with your torch. You do it just behind the second bonfire

Advertisement