Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'm was over 3 million by the time I completed it. Which is sort of scary.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,607 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

any one get the guide ? i'd imagine mine will be here tomorrow. I was sick and busy with work last week so hopefully will get cracking into this tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Kirby wrote: »
    I'm was over 3 million by the time I completed it. Which is sort of scary.:o

Deaths!? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

2smiggy wrote: »
    any one get the guide ? i'd imagine mine will be here tomorrow. I was sick and busy with work last week so hopefully will get cracking into this tomorrow evening.

I got it on Saturday. I don't want to read it until I've finished the game but it looks lovely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I presume she did the one who levels you up with the Irish accent?

You're correct, by the way!

Oh, and the laddersmith is indeed Irish :P http://connorbyrne.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Kirby wrote: »
    I could perhaps have made it easier to read. :P

Nah it was fine, i just always wanted to use that gif :o Did you get these numbers yourself or find it online? I feel that the Blacksteel Katana is the weaker of my 3 weapons. Without the bleed effect they had in previous cause they seem kinda lacking

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I knew her accent sounded familiar and sounded a bit Irish. As for ladder man, his accent was too good not to have been an Irish accent. I wonder if it was his idea to sneak 'eejit' into the script :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,844 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

You're correct, by the way!

Oh, and the laddersmith is indeed Irish :P http://connorbyrne.co.uk/

Ah Ladder Gilligan is from Limerick, I have to go and buy all his ladders now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Apparently it goes by soul memory rather than level, so all the souls you've earned over the course of your game including the ones you lost when you died.

It's a more level playing field then, as it stops someone just kitting up and invading noobs. All though I did like the fact you had to be good enough to get high level kit at a low level but I suppose it stops Darkwraiths scaring off folk though.

The souls you lost makes no sense though. What advantage is that?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,282 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

penev10 wrote: »
    It's a more level playing field then, as it stops someone just kitting up and invading noobs. All though I did like the fact you had to be good enough to get high level kit at a low level but I suppose it stops Darkwraiths scaring off folk though.

If they don't include that it would be the same as just using soul level, if they go by total souls then they can tell how long you've been playing for. I doubt that's the only criteria it's based on though otherwise it wouldn't work very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I came to conclusion: The protection ring destroys what dark Souls is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

It'll probably be patched out somehow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't think so - if anything, it makes it easier to access many of the game's core features. You just have to look through this thread to see people struggling with effigy supplies - after a certain point, the rings ensure you can play the game as a 'human' with an increasingly token cost (3,000 souls is a bit when you first get it, but chump change later on). Since co-op and covenants are so integral to the game, the rings are vital to ensure players have access to them throughout without breaking the systems currently in place. Maybe they should have been healthier with effigy supplies throughout, but the rings are IMO a solid way of making the game more welcoming and alleviating some of the frustration.

And hey: if you don't like it, don't use it :) That's the great thing about the game - it offers you countless ways to play it as you so wish. This might be more accessible, but I'm pretty sure hardcore players can make it as hard as anything the series has ever offered. Hell, as someone who accidentally played through the first ten hours of the game in the Champions Covenant (and getting a little freaked out how everyone was powering ahead of me with ease :pac:), I can assure you Dark Souls II can be as hard as you want it to be.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    It'll probably be patched out somehow.

It should not even be out there. I dont really think that increasing its Repair price will fix it. I got half a million Souls on me and I can afford repair it a lot... I have no death penalty at all anymore. I can farm as much souls as I want as a Bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Didn't even know that ring existed until now, thanks for ruining the game for me! j/k

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,282 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The human/hollow thing doesn't work in this game for me so the ring fixes it if anything. I want to be able to co-op all the time, I want to be able to invade/be invaded, the only one of those you can't do as a hollow in this is summon, you can still be invaded/invade or summoned so really what is the point of being hollow at all? In the original it worked because it was a way to avoid the online features (apart from if you wanted to summon an NPC) and there was enough ways to get humanity in this it doesn't serve any function at all. I think being hollow is redundant.

IF they were going to change the ring make it so you sill lose your souls but remain human, hat way you can still play the game to your full enjoyment and also have consequences if you die.

The human/hollow thing doesn't work in this game for me so the ring fixes it if anything. I want to be able to co-op all the time, I want to be able to invade/be invaded, the only one of those you can't do as a hollow in this is summon, you can still be invaded/invade or summoned so really what is the point of being hollow at all? In the original it worked because it was a way to avoid the online features (apart from if you wanted to summon an NPC) and there was enough ways to get humanity in this it doesn't serve any function at all. I think being hollow is redundant.

IF they were going to change the ring make it so you sill lose your souls but remain human, hat way you can still play the game to your full enjoyment and also have consequences if you die.

Yeah, that sounds more fair and in Dark Souls spirit. Right now this ring "get of jail free card".
    I know, you can not use it and all that Jazz, but it is an easy excuse like in diablo 3 Auction house - dont use it. Its already in there and part of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

If they don't include that it would be the same as just using soul level, if they go by total souls then they can tell how long you've been playing for. I doubt that's the only criteria it's based on though otherwise it wouldn't work very well.

Is it transferred from character to character? If it is then what you're proposing makes some sense.

I don't get how it'd be the same as soul level though? Souls spent would be fairer imho as the guy who levels his end-game kit to the max whilst playing at low level is at least matched with someone who's beefed up in some way as opposed to the old system where he could harass the uninitiated in the Burg.

Is it transferred from character to character? If it is then what you're proposing makes some sense.

I don't get how it'd be the same as soul level though? Souls spent would be fairer imho as the guy who levels his end-game kit to the max whilst playing at low level is at least matched with someone who's beefed up in some way as opposed to the old system where he could harass the uninitiated in the Burg.

I don't think it would transfer to another character. Yeah what you're saying makes sense alright, plus including souls you lost means someone who's really crap could end up having a huge soul memory but not be very high level.

Not everyone plays games the same way you or I do - in fact you and I probably play games in vastly different ways. 'Accessibility' is often a dirty word in games discussion, but it's important to ensure a wide range of players get to experience a game the way they want to. Dark Souls has always been a daunting series, and not always for the best - one person's challenge is another's frustration. It's a tough ask to allow more people to experience a game without undermining what fans like about it, but the Ring is one of the most elegant examples of how From have accomplished this here. It's completely optional, it in no way effects your game if you choose to ignore it, and yet it provides easier access to many of the game's most important features for those who do use it. Some of the other nods towards accessibility - say, fast travel - have a far more fundamental impact on everyone's experience, but the ring is there and IMO an absolute godsend for a type of play that favours co-op or PVP. As someone who played probably 80% of the last game hollow, I was happy to spend a majority of this game as a human and enjoy many of the benefits that came along with it, all without having to fret about a particular resource.

It's not like the auction house, which as far as I can gather had a fundamental effect on the game for everyone as Blizzard completely banjaxed the game's core systems in favour of it. They've had to completely rebuild the game because of the negative feedback. Dark Souls II, on the other hand, would be completely the same even if the ring of life protection wasn't included. From haven't undermined the rest of the game by including the ring - they've merely left it up to every individual player to decide if and how they want to use it.

Perhaps what I admire most about this game is the incredible lengths From have gone to to make a game that appeals to both Souls veterans and newcomers alike. It's easy for all of us who've completed the games to get a bit fussy about it, but honestly anything that allows more players to see this incredible game the better - and a single, optional item is a much more welcome way of doing that than slapping an 'easy mode' on the main menu (even the tutorial is completely optional here). Indeed, in a game that's all about experimenting with items and seeing what works for you, it's even apt. Anyway, there's always going to be ten or twenty hours of raw, soul-droppin' challenge before you actually get the ring anyway. And the Smelter Demon is still going to kick most people's respective asses with or without a damn ring!

• Advertisement

The idea is to stop people getting extremely powerful and staying at Lv.1 for the purpose of obliterating new players. It happened a bit in DS1. You can stay Lv. 1 but won't be grouped with people who haven't collected many souls i.e not played much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Anybody in No Man's Wharf fancy helping with the boss? I've helped about 5 people but don't want to risk going in alone seeing as I've about 30000 souls on me and feeling too lazy to go back to the bonfire :p
    SL62 btw
    Edit: Done. Phew.

It should not even be out there. I dont really think that increasing its Repair price will fix it. I got half a million Souls on me and I can afford repair it a lot... I have no death penalty at all anymore. I can farm as much souls as I want as a Bro.
    They had those rings in DS1 too, only they were one use. I think ramping up the repair cost is a fair fix. Consider the regeneration ring costs like 15000 to fix and that barely heals you.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ok the lack of effigies and titanite is just getting ridiculous now. I feel woefully underpowered and can't summon anyone to help

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Does the covenant of the meek prevent you from being invaded? At Huntsman's Copse and haven't been invaded once

krudler wrote: »
    ok the lack of effigies and titanite is just getting ridiculous now. I feel woefully underpowered and can't summon anyone to help

Join bell keeper covenant for titanite chunks and get the ember to McDuff from
    Iron Keep
    and he will sell you large shards (and the Uchi ;)). Had 2 weapons at +10 before I had the second primal bonfire lit.

Have you grabbed the x5 effigy supplies in
    Brightstone's first area
    and
    Cathedral of Blue
    ? Apparently the former can be respawned by using Bonfire Ascetic if you're feeling particularly desperate - make sure you have the area well cleared before considering doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Join bell keeper covenant for titanite chunks and get the ember to McDuff from
    Iron Keep
    and he will sell you large shards (and the Uchi ;)). Had 2 weapons at +10 before I had the second primal bonfire lit.

How do I get to the Iron Keep? It's titanite shards I need is there a farming area or particular enemies that drop them regularly? the areas I have open without bosses are the Shaded Woods and the Black Gulch area

Killed the dude by having 4 souls. Easy fight, but it is just pure endurance fight. You can have him circling just in to one side and he will never hit you. Did not even used a single healing item.
    So that trophies bagged. Need more Bro marks, but having feck all summons today. :( where do you guys leave your marks? I am doing it in Crypt.

• Advertisement

How do I get to the Iron Keep? It's titanite shards I need is there a farming area or particular enemies that drop them regularly? the areas I have open without bosses are the Shaded Woods and the Black Gulch area

It's after
    Harvest Valley and Earthern Peak
    . The large enemies in both areas have high standard shard drop rates as well. McDuff sells the large shards.

Advertisement