Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I always find those crazy requirement game unlocks amusing - by the time I actually achieved them, I doubt I'd have much interest in actually playing the game again :p

Just be glad there isn't a trophy for them in this case for calex's sake :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

krudler wrote: »
    How you supposed to warp though? unless you just make your way back through every area through Majula again, that'd take forever although it was the same in the original game before you got the Lord Vessel I guess.

The interlinking areas with their shortcuts and unexpected connections were genius in DS1. Meant there was no real need for warping until you got past Anor Londo.

DS2's areas don't seem to knit so well together. The warping is a great relief at times, especially if you need to upgrade your kit, but it also makes for a less coherent, more disjointed experience imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

penev10 wrote: »
    The interlinking areas with their shortcuts and unexpected connections were genius in DS1. Meant there was no real need for warping until you got past Anor Londo.

DS2's areas don't seem to knit so well together. The warping is a great relief at times, especially if you need to upgrade your kit, but it also makes for a less coherent, more disjointed experience imo.

It annoys the crap out of me having to warp back to Majula every time you want to level up, I know it doesn't take all that long but could they not have just left it so you can do it at bonfires yourself? worked perfectly well in the first game

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

They're probably trying to bring it back to Demon's Souls where that eyeless lady would level you up. It seems to be a mix between Demon's and Dark Souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Grayditch wrote: »
    They're probably trying to bring it back to Demon's Souls where that eyeless lady would level you up. It seems to be a mix between Demon's and Dark Souls.

Yeah, it is. If loading times would not be so long, then it would be grand.

Can't wait for PC version now. God bless ssds lol.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Feels like a backwards step though, Dark Souls was much more streamlined in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Feels like a backwards step though, Dark Souls was much more streamlined in that regard.
    Not having Miyazaki as director showed, I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The more I think about it the more I think the ring that protects your souls and can be repaired is a bug and not a feature. It just seems so wrong in Dark Souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

It's crazy that it protects your humanity as well though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Just be glad there isn't a trophy for them in this case for calex's sake :pac:

Amen for that :D

• Advertisement

The more I think about it the more I think the ring that protects your souls and can be repaired is a bug and not a feature. It just seems so wrong in Dark Souls.

It has a cost to be repaired though so has to be intentional surely, and the cost is much greater (3000 is nothing I know and far from being restrictive) than repairing a lot of other items which cost trivial amount to fix by comparison. I think if anything they will bump up the cost of repair, does it go up in NG+?

Theres the whole soul memory thing as well, you could in theory get yourself to a point where you were out of summoning range and humanity to do so because you have died a lot and not recovered the souls, that system of effigies and soul memory doesn't sit well with me in some regards and in others I can see the point of it.

I'd think that it would a lot more to repair it since it's so OP. I've also found more than one in the game which suggests it was originally supposed to function in the same way as the DS1 ring.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's definitely intentional, it says exactly what it does in the description.

Got to wonder how much last minute balancing went on with this.

Did anyone else play the network test? It was way harder than what we got in the full game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Completely agree on that ring. It absolutely breaks the entire idea of the game imo.

I'd think that it would a lot more to repair it since it's so OP. I've also found more than one in the game which suggests it was originally supposed to function in the same way as the DS1 ring.

I have 4 from the 1st play , 2 of each kind the other one is soul protection but that costs 6000 to fix.

The ones from DS1 were ..... ring of sacrifice i think no ? :confused:

That was a much more balanced approach in terms of cost and limited number of them , really made you look at the number of souls you had on you and the area you were in before using one, then as soon as you got to a safer place take it off so as not to waste it.

It's a bit much not losing your souls for sure, but as I said staying human has improved the game for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

DinoRex wrote: »
    Got to wonder how much last minute balancing went on with this.

Did anyone else play the network test? It was way harder than what we got in the full game.

I don't think it was really.. the bosses faced in that were relatively easy and they were still easy in the final game.

And the 3 phantoms were replaced by those 4 bigger enemies so I don't think much was changed to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It is clearly not a 'bug'. Whatever about it being unbalanced, its function is too specific and exact to have wound up there accidentally.

If it's function is nerfed in some way in a future patch, it's not exactly without precedent - as someone who played Dark Souls before they unleashed the famed first patch, there was no shortage of giddily overpowered items, spells and weapons that were far more useful then than anyone who has played the game more recently.

To be honest, the plentiful supply of bonfires makes dropping souls far more neglible here anyway. Even without the ring, there were very few moments when I had a large bank of souls as I'd spend them immediately. The biggest benefit was simply being able to hang on to enough souls to repair the ring :pac:

I'd still maintain 'don't use it' is the most effective method if you don't like it.

To be honest, the plentiful supply of bonfires makes dropping souls far more neglible here anyway. Even without the ring, there were very few moments when I had a large bank of souls as I'd spend them immediately. The biggest benefit was simply being able to hang on to enough souls to repair the ring :pac:

Exactly, the only real reason I use the ring is so I can summon folks against bosses without relying on effigies. I want to save my effigies for the chasm of the dark anyway!

• Advertisement

tok9 wrote: »
    I don't think it was really.. the bosses faced in that were relatively easy and they were still easy in the final game.

And the 3 phantoms were replaced by those 4 bigger enemies so I don't think much was changed to be honest.

They'd all agro immediately for me though. Absolutely no way to draw them out one at a time. Add to that it is was substantially darker. Didn't even need to do that neat bit of breaking the boarded up windows in the full game.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It's definitely intentional, it says exactly what it does in the description.

But in Dark Souls it broke for good when it was used. In this you can repair it which seems to just make it too powerful (and protecting your humanity takes it a bit too far). I wouldn't mind if it worked like that and was rare. I've totally avoided using it myself.

But in Dark Souls it broke for good when it was used. In this you can repair it which seems to just make it too powerful (and protecting your humanity takes it a bit too far). I wouldn't mind if it worked like that and was rare. I've totally avoided using it myself.

I think it's just the way they've gone with this game where every piece of equipment is breakable/repairable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I broke that ring once and won't be repairing it. Don't like the idea of that, to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

But the game isn't Dark Souls 1 - it's far from the only item that functions differently to its equivalent in the game's predecessor :)

Whatever about liking it / not liking it, I'd strongly contest defining it as a 'bug' when it has clearly been purposefully defined with its current functionality in mind. There's nothing accidental about it, and makes the game's online functionality far more accessible to all than the previous game's efforts.

Well I'm still surprised it hasn't been patched out yet. It still feels very much like a development oversight bug to me. I totally negates and breaks the whole human/undead mechanic which seems counter intuitive to what the developer was pushing before release.

They also seem to be pushing you to level up this time too with or without the rings, I think I finished NG+ in DS at around 120 or so, in DS2 I'm at over 150 from one complete run.

The fact that stuff breaks so easily is a nice mechanic. Really makes sure you don't get too reliant on one weapon. The undead crypt was a menace for wreaking your stuff. Have been keeping two weapons upgraded to +10 though.

It's got pretty much the same description as the Ring of sacrifice in DS1. This one just doesn't sit right with me.

DS1:

Its wearer will lose nothing upon death,
    but the ring itself breaks.

DS2:

It's great protective power will protect you from any loss upon death, but after it's power is spent, the ring will break

I hearby declare that we should shun all wearers of the ring as flappy bird playing casuals :P

• Advertisement

DinoRex wrote: »
    The fact that stuff breaks so easily is a nice mechanic. Really makes sure you don't get too reliant on one weapon. The undead crypt was a menace for wreaking your stuff. Have been keeping two weapons upgraded to +10 though.

Means you can't hang around collecting lots of souls at boss gates from doing co-op. Plenty of times I did so much co-op I had to run back to the bonfire because my weapons broke :)

Advertisement