Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

calex71 wrote: »
    Guys for those who are playing with spells etc, I'm at end game pure melee minimal fth/int was just wondering what would be the best things to spend the spices on to lower requirements of, and what charm / staff might be worth putting some titanite into,

I used all my skeptic spices on the soul spear, well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Also I'm sure it's been said but some advise. If anyone has the smooth and silky items, go back to the beginning and drop them at that next.

You may get an Effigy out of it. I just got the white ring there :P

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

tok9 wrote: »
    Also I'm sure it's been said but some advise. If anyone has the smooth and silky items, go back to the beginning and drop them at that next.

You may get an Effigy out of it. I just got the white ring there :P

I got the Demon's Great Hammer from DS1 doing that! Shame I don't have a strength build.

Am I missing something in the Forest?

I went back to the door which needed the symbol of the King.

All I found inside was
    a bonfire and I couldn't really advance as I'd drop.

I see by the giant there are some kind of fireflies and a sound so I'm assuming I should do something

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Am I missing something in the Forest?

I went back to the door which needed the symbol of the King.

All I found inside was
    a bonfire and I couldn't really advance as I'd drop.

I see by the giant there are some kind of fireflies and a sound so I'm assuming I should do something
    Interact with the giant!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Guys for those who are playing with spells etc, I'm at end game pure melee minimal fth/int was just wondering what would be the best things to spend the spices on to lower requirements of, and what charm / staff might be worth putting some titanite into,

The following is the perspective of someone with INT in the mid 50s, so probably very different to your build, but this is what I liked:

Soul arrows - the bread and butter of sorcery, but their value cannot be underestimated. I never once unequipped the standard ones as it was strength in sheer bulk, and they could still make a solid dent against most standard enemies by game's end (useless against late bosses, but incredibly handy to keep the more powerful ones in stock for the boss when making fog gate runs). Great and great heavy variants are a must, was never too taken by the homing variety as the standard ones hit 9.5/10 times anyway and the casting time for the homing ones seemed not worth my while.

Crystal homing soulmass - excellent spell, can inflict big damage if you're willing to get up close to the enemy. Has the benefit that you can cast it from a safe distance and swoop in with the masses hanging in the air above your head ready to pounce. Standard version is good too.

Soul spear - handy, but the cast limit is a bit small. Still, can do serious damage against some enemies and especially invaders.

Soul vortex - didn't really like this, seemed a lot of effort for minor damage. Solid against groups I guess, but shamed by the almighty firestorm.

Soul shower - same as above.

Magic shield - less impressive than the offensive ones, but handy against casters. Obviously less appealing if you can wield powerful shields anyway.

I used the witchtree branch as soon as I found it, buffed up to +10 with a magic imbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Just wondering, anyone who has gone for a faith build, what miracles do you use?

The only offensive ones I've managed to find are Emit Force, Heavenly Thunder, Lightning Spear and Sunlight Spear, there is surely more then that? :confused:

Interact with the giant!
    I have but it just says nothing happened.

I've tried hitting it and I've got a giant soul but I can't seem to do anything in particular with it

Taking a break at the moment so I'll have a think and come back to it

There's a third path from the Shaded Woods dividing road worth travelling if you haven't already...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Soul Geyser is insanely powerful, respecced to 64 int just to see what it was like, it is the Pursuers of this game, no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just wondering, anyone who has gone for a faith build, what miracles do you use?

The only offensive ones I've managed to find are Emit Force, Heavenly Thunder, Lightning Spear and Sunlight Spear, there is surely more then that? :confused:

I've gone faith myself. What I use and think of them:

Heal spells: decent enough but a lot better for co-op since they will heal all phantoms within range. To slow to rely on in a fight, stick to estus.

Lightning spear: Makes a mess of armoured foes and does pretty god damage to everything else. Decent casting time as well. Still find it useful even with the higher level spells.

Sunlight Spear: Makes an even bigger mess than lightning spear. Great stuff altogether.

Emit Force: Doesn't have the damage output of the spear miracles but worth having for PVP. Has decent AOE damage and can catch human players off guard and make them panic. Against someone that isn't a noob it gets less effective.

Heavenly Thunder: It's a bit random but can be good for clearing out mobs. If you can get close to a boss it can really mess them up. I used this to destroy the rat authority by casting it under him. Not that reliable but I keep it on me just in case.

Magic Barrier: Not that useful. Would much prefer to have the upgraded version of this.

Most of the best stuff seems to be in the end game.

There's a third path from the Shaded Woods dividing road worth travelling if you haven't already...

Ya I was planning on leaving that till after the garden but if I can't find a way through I'll just go for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Pissed away all my effigies on the darkluker :mad:

Anyone got any advice as melee or should I save myself the stress and respec?

On the brightside I did actually have a lot of success farming back the effigies

Pissed away all my effigies on the darkluker :mad:

Anyone got any advice as melee or should I save myself the stress and respec?

On the brightside I did actually have a lot of success farming back the effigies

Whats the best farming spot for them? Iv 5 left and coming to the end of the game

Whats the best farming spot for them? Iv 5 left and coming to the end of the game

Work from the 2nd bonfire back to the 1st in shrine of amera , not sure how item discovery works as in if the gear stacks, I just put on anything i had that boosts it, merchant hat or jester hat, prisoner rags, and gold serpent ring, the rat things in the water drop them really often and the human enemies drop twinkling titanite too!!!!

One relatively good moment. Early on there is that guy with the torch.. I decided to let him follow me until I got to the "Dark" area... It was here I decided he was my buddy so I didn't care what I was told. Brought him with me, all hell broke loose and after all that he wouldn't even go beyond the next area with me!
    I hate that zombie torch guy now for completely screwing up that encounter.

Work from the 2nd bonfire back to the 1st in shrine of amera , not sure how item discovery works as in if the gear stacks, I just put on anything i had that boosts it, merchant hat or jester hat, prisoner rags, and gold serpent ring, the rat things in the water drop them really often and the human enemies drop twinkling titanite too!!!!

Iv never got an effigy drop from there,ill head back later on iv got a bone to pick with those casters aswell. The best drop i found were the dogs outside mcduffs workshop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

After about 4 hours and no effigies I decided to go back to Things Betwixt and kill one of the seers for 3 of them. I tried farming the dogs in the Bastille and the Turtle things on Soldier's Rest but not one single Effigy. I'm just gonna use the Ring of Life Protection trick from now on. Screw that, I dont want to go through that tedium again.

Smelter Demon next

Even if you 'cheat' the effigies you need them for passage into a certain area of the game, can be frustrating if you lose them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Even if you 'cheat' the effigies you need them for passage into a certain area of the game, can be frustrating if you lose them all.

Cheers for that. I'm just going to keep all mine and use the ring trick until I come to that section I think.

• Advertisement

Exactly why I had to farm them, for those not having much luck use the hear I mentioned and a rusty coin if you have nothing else

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I hate that zombie torch guy now for completely screwing up that encounter.

Did it
    aggro the NPC on you?
    I was letting him follow me too but he got killed in the crossfire, was glad when I heard the guy speak.
    He gives you pretty bad ass katana if you summon him for the boss fight and he survives.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Did it
    aggro the NPC on you?
    I was letting him follow me too but he got killed in the crossfire, was glad when I heard the guy speak.
    He gives you pretty bad ass katana if you summon him for the boss fight and he survives.
    Yes, any form of light, even if it's not your own torch, permanently sets the NPCs hostile, and there's no way you appear to be able to get them back.

Yes, any form of light, even if it's not your own torch, permanently sets the NPCs hostile, and there's no way you appear to be able to get them back.

Of course
    why else would they put a friendly zombie with a torch in but to troll us?

Did it
    aggro the NPC on you?

If he's dead won't resetting the area with an aesthetic bring him back? Haven't tested that myself, I'd wait until you get to the 2nd bonfire and travel back to the 1st one and use it and see so you don't have to go through that area with NG+ level enemies.

Got that item myself, didn't think it as good as others in its class apart from how badass it looks

Of course
    why else would they put a friendly zombie with a torch in but to troll us?

I thought we'd be friends forever :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I got the Demon's Great Hammer from DS1 doing that! Shame I don't have a strength build.

I gave twenty smoothies to try and get that but he didn't give it. It's total RNG. I got unlucky. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Mallory Rancid Sunset

Anyone else think the blacksmith in majula sounds like Ian mckellen

Found a positive in that damn shrine - summoning hotspot :) Been called a dozen times tonight outside the Demon of Song fog gate, usually a wait of considerably less than a minute. Since it's pretty much one of the easiest fights in the game, it's almost a guaranteed sun medal everytime. Of course, I just saw my first loss as some lad went up and kamikazeed him with predictable results :p

• Advertisement

So......did everyone else pull the lever?
    apparently I miss out on a side quest now?
    another opportunity to use that gif of Dougal :(

Advertisement