Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Started on NG+ last night,
    was running over my route from things betwixed as the game loaded up and got a nasty surprise when I spawned there
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

The more I think about the Guardian Dragon the more I think it was such an unusual boss fight to have there since
    in the very next area you go to, you fight 3 more of that boss (2 at least)

Usually that kind of thing happens early in the game and then the boss becomes a regular enemy a lot later

• Registered Users Posts: 29,844 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

tok9 wrote: »
    The more I think about the Guardian Dragon the more I think it was such an unusual boss fight to have there since

Usually that kind of thing happens early in the game and then the boss becomes a regular enemy a lot later

Yupp, very weird, just killed my 3rd 'normal' one. I had met
    Vendrick
    and my +10 Lightning Bastard Sword was doing 25 damage a hit :o.
    Looks like I need some Giant Souls, I only have 1 at the moment so I headed off to the dragons. The Dragon world is class. So, I understand I can access giant memories, fight the giants for their souls and then Vendrick will be weaker?

Also, I have +8 Gyrm Shield and +5 Havels Armour. I don't even feel like leveling up anymore (currently at 104) as none of the attributes go up by more than a few points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Most annoying enemy so far has to be those exploding hollows in the Lost Bastille that dive at you and blow up. Gee bags the lot of em.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

noodler wrote: »
    People in this game are such morons. Been stuck on the three sentinels for a week.

Beaten them ten times as a phantom but people just waste my fcuking ephigagies when when I summon them.

Jumping straight down, trying too many hits etc. One sap even left using black crystal

The NPC summon there is probably the most useful in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just having the enemies aggro somebody other than you so you can get a heal in can make all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Too bad so many of the NPCs seem to have quest lines that involved keeping them alive in battle... that's why you have those rings that draw all the agro to you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I like that area, probably my favourite in the game. It makes logical sense to progress from the first
    'guardian' dragon
    to multiple ones in the subsequent area I think. Some seriously good rewards for tracking down the multitude of crystal lizards residing in the Aerie. I'm pretty sure the trio are optional though, and there's a straight run to the castle if you want to?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

did anyone summon Tark for the boss fight in the Shaded Ruins? he was pretty handy, plus it was funny hearing my human buddies reaction to him appearing heh

DinoRex wrote: »
    Too bad so many of the NPCs seem to have quest lines that involved keeping them alive in battle... that's why you have those rings that draw all the agro to you.

Yeah especially Lucatiel, you need to summon her and have her survive 3 of the 4 boss fights she can take part in. For me, she died on the way to 2 of the bosses by falling off ledges.

I got a class invisible katana in the undead crypt. Pumped up my dex to wield it and tested it on the piggies in Majula. It did 40 damage per swing where by Bastard Sword did 400. The Bastard is +10 but no way am I pumping up the weapon or more dex. Might come in handy on NG+ maybe.

• Advertisement

I like that area, probably my favourite in the game. It makes logical sense to progress from the first
    'guardian' dragon
    to multiple ones in the subsequent area I think. Some seriously good rewards for tracking down the multitude of crystal lizards residing in the Aerie. I'm pretty sure the trio are optional though, and there's a straight run to the castle if you want to?

I wouldn't really say it actually does make logical sense. In the boss fight, it looks like the area is a cage. In that case that fight could have happened absolutely anywhere.

And yes you more than likely could have ran past all of them in the area but you could probably say the same thing about a lot of areas.

It just seemed odd to me to have them as normal enemies so soon. Or in this case that the boss battle is so late in the game.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,282 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I wouldn't really say it actually does make logical sense. In the boss fight, it looks like the area is a cage. In that case that fight could have happened absolutely anywhere.

And yes you more than likely could have ran past all of them in the area but you could probably say the same thing about a lot of areas.

It just seemed odd to me to have them as normal enemies so soon. Or in this case that the boss battle is so late in the game.

They're not really normal enemies, since they
    don't respawn
    , get some poison arrows and they make short work of them. Hit that area last night myself, definitely the most impressive area in the game. I had one go at
    the giant lord
    in forest of fallen giants and called it a night.

I'm undecided about whether to try and attack the
    aincient dragon
    ? Is there any point?

Also, what's behind the boss fog in
    Drangleic castle? Should I be going there before I go after the giant memories?

In Drangleic Castle, the
    Mirror Knight
    is the boss there, fairly easy with the AI summon outside the door.

Giant Souls make no difference for this fella or the area after as far as I'm aware so crush on if ya like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The fog gate
    (Throne of Want one I assume) holds the two - actually three, technically - final bosses. You can fight the first pair now, but the true final boss won't appear until you kill the Giant Lord I believe. If you wait until you've got that soul, then the true final boss will spawn immediately after you defeat the other two, so it might be preferable to fight them now and avoid that.

The standard giant souls only affect a certain optional boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

Ok, I somehow have managed to obtain more titanite slabs so far than I have chunks! Is there anyone that sells them, or is there a good farming spot?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,282 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

chickenboy wrote: »
    Ok, I somehow have managed to obtain more titanite slabs so far than I have chunks! Is there anyone that sells them, or is there a good farming spot?

Join the bell keeper covenant! Also as you progress through the game the Blacksmith's daughter will sell a bigger and bigger variety of Titanite.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Join the bell keeper covenant! Also as you progress through the game the Blacksmith's daughter will sell a bigger and bigger variety of Titanite.

I'm a ratbro, I spit on you bellkeeper scum! :D

Guys as melee in ng+ what stats should I be looking at increasing? Really very little pay out fo rputting anything into str or dex now, ADP looks like the best option to me

Is it just me or does the woman who looks after the fire keepers in Things Betwixt sound like Daphne from Frasier?

chickenboy wrote: »
    I'm a ratbro, I spit on you bellkeeper scum! :D

Haha I farm you guys for Lockstones in my spare time :P I'm a Sunbro now anyway:D

• Advertisement

Right I made it through that area in the last bonfire in the forest. Think I know another giant I must visit around there too.

I've also got a spare Estus shard. My flask is already maxed out.

went from having no effigies to having 9 lol that Smelter Demon is a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Is there a limit to how many arrows the blacksmith keeps or is it an infinite supply?

krudler wrote: »
    went from having no effigies to having 9 lol that Smelter Demon is a pain

If you get stuck , stick an aesthetic in the mejula fire you can
    get 2 from the skeletons in the mansion
    found that out when I was out after my ..... 17th????? attempt at the dark lurker

quarryman wrote: »
    Is there a limit to how many arrows the blacksmith keeps or is it an infinite supply?

Depends on the merchant, the one in Majula has unlimited wooden arrows, Galvan (wheel, Galvan Deal!) has unlimited poison arrows and I think McDuff might have iron ones. Agdayne sells unlimited dark ones too I think.

Oh lord... that was a struggle.

Oh.. that's the end! That was a good boss actually... but thinking back to DS1.. not a patch on the final boss in that.

Must go check what I missed!

My build is really starting to show to many holes now I think.

I'm taking far to much damage , to the extent that I have time to heal and then get hit again or get a shield up. I'm not doing enough damage and have likely over invested in str/dex beyond the point of it paying off.

Build is :

VGR 32
    END 27
    VIT 25
    ATN 8
    STR 50
    DEX 48
    ADP 21
    INT 5
    FTH 7

I was working to get ATN to 10 so I could have at least a pyro without a ring to get a atn slot.

In terms of gear, I'm using +5 Drangleic sword that range on this is it's main problem , +5 maneater katana, +10 Hunter's black bow. At times I will swap in a lightning great sword +10

Bloosom kite shield for the stamina regen, ring of blades +1, third dragon ring as opposed to the royal soldier rings as it increases hp and stamina aswell as load, ring of steel protection +1,

Main armor is Allone Captain armor +10 , i chop and change the head piece and gloves a fair bit for different things.

Any advice would be welcome, I really don't want to go all out caster and fundamentally change how I play but ......

Definitely think carefully if you are going to use one of the bonfire ascetic. I've made Heide's quite difficult. Lot of phantoms around now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I'm finding VIT to be of way more value than VGR with the armour scaling. Damage reduction > Damage absorption.

I'd drop your VGR down to 20 and pump it into VIT. The 120HP you'll lose should be mitigated by the extra armour you can wear and the bonus to existing armour. Also more Poise.

Then again I'm still early doors and haven't fully tested it all. I still havent touched VGR on my SL55 character :P

• Advertisement

I'd say get yourself two attunement slots (ATN - 13) and grab yourself two of the game's strongest pyromancies. Your flame is beefed up by fire seeds instead of titanite so there's no concern in terms of resources (I probably had enough by game's end to have nearly two flames at +10). Pyromancies have no extra requirements and firestorm particularly is immensely powerful. Might give you that extra edge without having to respec.

Advertisement