Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work on 90 day tourist visa

Options
  • 08-12-2012 6:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'll be on the west coast of usa in march 2013 for approx 2 months, does anybody know if I'll be able to pick up a bit of work to keep me going if I just have the 90 day tourist visa? Nothing set in stone but will prob be in San Fran....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

The 90 day visa isn't a tourist one. It's a visa waiver permit.
    You're also not 'allowed' to work on one either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 travelcrazy

The 90 day visa isn't a tourist one. It's a visa waiver permit.
    You're also not 'allowed' to work on one either.

Oh. My bad. Do you know where I could find out more about how to get a visa so I could work or if it would be worth my while (moneywise) to bother as I prob won;t be there too long?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You would need to find an employer to sponsor your work visa. With the current economy, that is difficult- more so if you only plan to stay a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

I'm sure some people will tell you that, even though you're not legally allowed to, you can find jobs that pay under the table. I would strongly discourage this, if you are caught working illegally it could severly damage your chances of being allowed return to the US.

They will ask you your plans when you pass through immigration. With a 2 month trip, they would expect you to be able to show that you have enough funds to support yourself, otherwise it sets off red flags that you intend to try and find work.

Thanks for the replies- seems like it isn't possible to do what I had hoped, was hoping there would be something similar to the WHV that you can get for oz....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

'Fraid not. The only visas that you can go to the States and work on (that you can apply for yourself) are the J1's visa for students and recent college graduates. Everything else you need a family member/spouse to sponsor you, or for a company to offer you a job that is so important that they are willing to cough up approx $5000 to pay for immigration lawyers to process your application. If all you want is unskilled, seasonal work to tide you over for a couple of months, that's going to be practically impossible to find.

You'll need to have your finances sorted before you leave Ireland, as as the above poster says, if you can not prove that you have adequate funds to support yourself during your 3 months in the US, you may be denied entry at the very get go.

Thanks for all the info guys, was a nice dream while it lasted!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Mansized Wreath

When I went to the US on a 90 day visa weaver I purchased a ticket on the pretense of returning two weeks later, once I landed I extended my ticket a further 2 and a half months. I didn't work (although could have under the table) and just have an amazing summer. I just didn't want the massive interrogation from customs. So yeah, get an extendable ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

When I went to the US on a 90 day visa weaver I purchased a ticket on the pretense of returning two weeks later, once I landed I extended my ticket a further 2 and a half months. I didn't work (although could have under the table) and just have an amazing summer. I just didn't want the massive interrogation from customs. So yeah, get an extendable ticket.

That is a pretty dangerous move (though legal) as it really depends on the guard at the border.

I remember a few years back when a border guard asked me how long i was going to stay for, looked at my return ticket and granted me entry until the day after my return ticket. I was 18, it was june and i was waiting on my CAO so he didn't want any funny business. This was at dublin, so i reckon he understood the CAO system.

The VWP is upto 90 days, the border guys can do what they want. If you are caught lying it can screw you for anything from a year to forever.

Be honest about your intentions, have a bank statement or whatever to prove you have cash and enjoy your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

I'm sure some people will tell you that, even though you're not legally allowed to, you can find jobs that pay under the table. I would strongly discourage this, if you are caught working illegally it could severly damage your chances of being allowed return to the US.

They will ask you your plans when you pass through immigration. With a 2 month trip, they would expect you to be able to show that you have enough funds to support yourself, otherwise it sets off red flags that you intend to try and find work.

I took grief from DHS for a 3 month stay, they immediately assumed I was there to work illegally, until I showed them I had cash, they didn't like the state my passport was in also, but that's another story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

At least these days your entry would be refused in Dublin and you'd only be out the cost of the plane ticket.......in march we had our first experience of seeing someone being marched in handcuffs onto a flight in Chicago being sent home...the Customs & Immigration jumpsuit was very flattering.

Advertisement